BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
135gofast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340ix

M3 control arms and tension rods were sitting in my basement all winter

I know, another "me too" thread. But this one is for the skeptics. My oner had Vorshlag camber plates and big fat 245/35 f & 275/35 r last year, with over -1.7 degrees of camber and still i really didn't care to drive this car at autox cross.

Yesterday, i had the m3 bits installed and on my first corner, the car smacked me in the face with it's new found personality. These parts make a huge difference! holy sports car feel! The car really turns and feels planted now, still with the same wheels & tires and camber settings, but it's a whole new animal, and it's sweet.

I drove about 30 miles to have some fun with it, in the rain. I am thrilled.

The only downside, is the car tracks hard with pavement undulations, something it never did before. But i expect that from my sports cars :-)

My only question now is, for anyone who has done upgrades one-step-at-a-time like i am doing, is:
- will the m3 rear subframe bushings give me a similar feel for control over high speed bumps on the freeway
- would coilovers improve the ride/handling that much MORE?!

Thanks
1 happy 1er
      03-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Its great when you really feel the difference..

as far as your questions go, i dont have first hand knowledge, but i will tell you that, that steering feel you "complain" of may be related to your alignment... I recommendthat you get yourcar realigned after putting those control arms in. I am sure that feeling will go away, and you will be even more happy with it.

happy driving ..
      03-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
135gofast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

i brought it back to the alignment shop, and the left front had moved off about .4 deg camber, and some other settling issues. now it's better.

still feels way better than stock.
      03-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
marcus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Vert

I got the same box sitting in my basement. When I went to BMW here in Germany, they said it would be no problem installing them(I like getting all my work done by them) but had only one question.....since the arms/wishbones are longer what axle measurement do they take? From the M3 or 135i.
Im pretty sure it is as close to the M3 as possible.
Glad you are feeling a difference. I am getting the M3 subframe bushings and rear sway installed within the next couple weeks. Ill let you know about the feel.
      01-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
135gofast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Bumping my own thread and answering my own question about M3 subframe bushings and better suspension.

Last summer I put in the M3 subframe bushings. These made a great deal of difference in the feel of the car on the highway, but ultimately, didn't do much for handling, imo, under hard turning, braking or in transitions.

Last week, I put on Koni Yellows and H&R Springs. These made a huge difference in reducing squat, dive and roll. The car feels, and looks, a lot better to me, even though it is on winter tires.

Between the H&R springs and the konis, the handling characteristics have changed pretty dramatically. It no longer feels like it's understeering under power. I can induce oversteer on snow tires at pretty low speeds; and can tell already that this car will be a lot different to drive than on the stock springs/shocks.

The H&R & konis make the ride stiff. It's a lot stiffer than stock, but for anyone like me, who bothers to read these forums for making their car perform better, it's totally acceptable. Normal sized bumps are no problem, but potholes are brutal, pay attention out there kids!

If these work out, I'll next be trying to figure out cooling issues at HPDE, along with the rest of the folk at the limp-mode party.

search: HR springs, H&R springs, Koni, koni yellows

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135gofast View Post
I know, another "me too" thread. But this one is for the skeptics. My oner had Vorshlag camber plates and big fat 245/35 f & 275/35 r last year, with over -1.7 degrees of camber and still i really didn't care to drive this car at autox cross.

Yesterday, i had the m3 bits installed and on my first corner, the car smacked me in the face with it's new found personality. These parts make a huge difference! holy sports car feel! The car really turns and feels planted now, still with the same wheels & tires and camber settings, but it's a whole new animal, and it's sweet.

I drove about 30 miles to have some fun with it, in the rain. I am thrilled.

The only downside, is the car tracks hard with pavement undulations, something it never did before. But i expect that from my sports cars :-)

My only question now is, for anyone who has done upgrades one-step-at-a-time like i am doing, is:
- will the m3 rear subframe bushings give me a similar feel for control over high speed bumps on the freeway
- would coilovers improve the ride/handling that much MORE?!

Thanks
1 happy 1er
      01-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Ha, I've got the same box of goodies waiting to be installed. Glad you're enjoying your new sports car. Add some r comps and you'll go Vette hunting at your next HPDE.

I will say it's pretty common that your car will track with anything more than 1 deg. of neg camber. Try dialing in more neg camber at the track for even more neutral handling. Just be sure to switch it back or you'll compound the tracking issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #7
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135gofast
i brought it back to the alignment shop, and the left front had moved off about .4 deg camber, and some other settling issues. now it's better.

still feels way better than stock.
The arms should have added .75 so that's weird

Glad to hear your overall experience is like mine now though!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Do the M3 sub-frames first. It allows the suspension to work properly so you would definitely see an improvement in handling. Then see if you want to step up to coil overs.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 05:11 AM   #9
135gofast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
The arms should have added .75 so that's weird

Glad to hear your overall experience is like mine now though!
Camber was supposed to be set at -1.75, but one side moved or was of by +/- .4, I think it was at-2.1. Anyway, they fixed that and it tracks very nicely now.
I'm at -1.1 for the winter and can go easily to -2.5 for track events.

If I could go back in time, these would have gone on two years ago. Definitely enjoying the whole tighter setup. Can't wait really exercise this new setup.
      01-24-2013, 05:25 AM   #10
135gofast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutattoo View Post
Ha, I've got the same box of goodies waiting to be installed. Glad you're enjoying your new sports car. Add some r comps and you'll go Vette hunting at your next HPDE.

I will say it's pretty common that your car will track with anything more than 1 deg. of neg camber. Try dialing in more neg camber at the track for even more neutral handling. Just be sure to switch it back or you'll compound the tracking issue.
+1

I'm planning in taking my 1 to a couple of hpde events this season, it'll be on Rs3 s, and driven at maybe 8/10ths. it's been 3yrs since this car has been on track. If I enjoy it more than my miata, I would plan to use it as my primary track carthe following season. It needs to get compatible with my HANS before I will drive it to it's max.

Limp mode still Lingers in my memories from all three events I have been to in this car. If I can't get past that, I will have to switch plans.
      01-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135gofast View Post
Camber was supposed to be set at -1.75, but one side moved or was of by +/- .4, I think it was at-2.1. Anyway, they fixed that and it tracks very nicely now.
I'm at -1.1 for the winter and can go easily to -2.5 for track events.

If I could go back in time, these would have gone on two years ago. Definitely enjoying the whole tighter setup. Can't wait really exercise this new setup.
awesome
i haven't gotten a decent alignment, but eyeballing it looks like they set the camber tops to pretty close to 0 it all out
Appreciate 0