BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #155
Gumball
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: A45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbce90
For an event that was advertised as having a "commercially swept" runway it doesn't seem like those who attended were very happy with the quality of sweeping.
In the morning all the competitors drove along the runway to check out where to start, brake etc and pretty much no rocks.

Guessing all the sticky tyres pulled them up. Was like a dirt road in places.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #156
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
It was an interesting weekend and good to see plenty of high horsepower cars pushing hard the whole 1000m. Thanks to Alex and Steve for a great weekend. It was a shame you couldn't make it Thony. Nice to meet you also Tit.
The event was well organized so a congrats to Adam and the Snowy Mountains team. I don't think the spectators were all too happy viewing the cars from 200m away. The weather was cool (excellent for us FI's) but very windy. I had a total of three runs and my first was 27.XX. Second run was 26.XX. My third run was my best and managed a 23.92. Traction off the line was extremely difficult. As Steve said there was loose gravel everywhere. Steve was finding it really hard to launch the MT (as you would) but did well. I only finally worked out a better launch technique on my last run. I said I would be happy with a high 23 second pass before the event. Next time I think I'll try for a mid to low 23.
The white R35 GTR was most impressive on the day. I overheard someone say it was rated at 600hp and with AWD, launch control and 315 PSS on the rear it didn't seem to have much traction issue and just sling shotted off the line.
The S2000 that was cooked ran two cars before me so by the time I got to the end of the strip I saw everyone getting their fire extinguishers out of there cars and running and I thought it was my car for a second.

Here's a vid from one of my runs.

No just the damage to the car from loose gravel on the airstrip. Two wheels need to be repaired, bonnet copped 4 stone chips and bumper managed only 2 chips. So all in all just over $1500 worth of damage but hey, that motorsport for you. Could have been much worse.

Agree the trap speeds seemed a little low. Rolling start would have been awesome. I think the best part of the weekend was the drive from Sydney to Canberra. Let's just say Steve and I thought we would put our cars to the test most of the way there. The freeway was our airstrip.
Lol at the SM1000 curse Steve.
I found your video on youtube before I found it here. I was going to post there.. It sounded AWEFUL.. Sorry to hear about all that damage I was cringing as I had been expecting a different take off!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #157
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Steve, Edwin, thanks for the great day. Thony, sucks you couldn't make it. And nice photos tit, great meeting you.

As Steve said, the surface was good initially on the racing side but it must have been kicked up by all the launches. The run back didn't seem swept at all though and I dare say that most of the rock chips suffered were from that. I haven't washed my car yet but so far I've seen a few rock scratches on one of the door panels and my rear wheels and bumper arches tool a pounding.

I took a couple videos, 1 from the outside near the rear wheel and you can really see the gravel fly haha. I'll see if I can get a chance to post them up sometime.

I'd do it again if it was swept a little better and I brought a shitload of tape to cover up the arches. It was pretty fun once I got my turbos working =P. Maxing out at 140kph is not great haha
      10-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #158
Gumball
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Alex, Edwin - how are your wheel arches looking? Mine looked crap and after a hell of a lot of heavy cut polish they look acceptable unless you look close.

Bugger the wheels - get them resprayed when I gutter rash them or get bored with the colour.

Need new back tyres though - they have big holes and tears where the rocks were. Fronts are fine with no holes or tears...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #159
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

The rear wheel arch bumper part took a real pounding. Like chunks taken out almost. No amount of cut and polish will fix it haha. I can see exposed black plastic. I'll probably just touch it up.

I haven't checked the tyres out yet but when I do I'll let you know. Ours might not be so bad as there was less wheel spinning on our part =P
      10-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #160
Gumball
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
The rear wheel arch bumper part took a real pounding. Like chunks taken out almost. No amount of cut and polish will fix it haha. I can see exposed black plastic. I'll probably just touch it up.

I haven't checked the tyres out yet but when I do I'll let you know. Ours might not be so bad as there was less wheel spinning on our part =P
Hehe, comparing my logs to Edwins was funny - I was wheel spinning like crazy. Even half throttle in first spun both wheels

I am actually think of getting super light grade sand paper and giving it a go. Um comments? See its black underneath anyway....

G5 iso with NLS and 2 Step is back installed and my car is sitting half pulled apart in the warehouse.... Scared to take it back out.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #161
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
The drive up was the best part - great fun.

Washed my car today and i cried - stone chips on the bonnet, roof and wheels and god i wish i had mudflaps - steel ones ffs.

I wish no lift shift worked ..

My tyres have weird rips in them and now just spin all the time

Just showed the wife the vid and she cant believe the noise from the rocks.
Yeh me too. Can't beleive how many chips we got. Maybe a full wrap is in order for next time.

That harsh gravel would do that to your tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
Yeh I know all about getting there and conditions wing less than perfect. But sounds like you chaps had some fun and that's what it's all about.

Edwin if it wasn't for the sound of gravel in the vid I'd have thought you were going at light speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1000 View Post
Thanks all for coming. Was good to see you all there

As far as spectators goes, this was for the 1st year. It was 140m away, not 200. We will be moving them forward to 70m for next year. As far as the screen, we were having power supply issues with the modem from the timing to the screen/.1st event an their were teething problems, which will be rectified.

Yes, the runway came up more than we hoped. and yes, we are taking steps to rectify it, including hot mix for the starting area and the 1st part of the track.

One thing, and something that all the guys that have raced at Cootamundra on the 800m for the last 5 years will tel you, and any one that did this or the last 2 Temora's..... IT IS RUNWAY RACING. There will always be small stones etc etc. We , however, are working on fixing the issue's unlike other events
Adam my 200m was just a guesstimate but 70m sounds like a good idea for the future. I really enjoyed the event and as you said it was only the first so I'm sure next year will be even better. Maybe as each car rolls towards the start line the PA guy can mention a few quick words like at the dragways. Such things as the car make, year, bhp if available and previous time.

I think I now know why most of the exotic cars didn't come as this kind of event would have suited their cars but the damage alone would not be worthwhile. My car is only worth around $50k so no real biggy but if I had a GT2, Ferrari, Lambo etc, I don't think I would compete in this event. I think that green Gallardo was actually black but was wrapped in green (smart man).

Once again the event was very well planned and I think next year will attract even more people with the revised changes you have mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbce90 View Post
Not too bad then.. Good to hear your car worked properly as well. However the video still shows the passenger seat in place - why didn't you take it out?

The passenger seat was only left in the car cause it holds the laptop for logging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh58 View Post
I found your video on youtube before I found it here. I was going to post there.. It sounded AWEFUL.. Sorry to hear about all that damage I was cringing as I had been expecting a different take off!
The Gopro sound is quite muffled in the video. The actual sound was about 50 times louder and yes I couldn't hear myself think until I hit the 100m mark.

Quote:
Steve, Edwin, thanks for the great day. Thony, sucks you couldn't make it. And nice photos tit, great meeting you.

As Steve said, the surface was good initially on the racing side but it must have been kicked up by all the launches. The run back didn't seem swept at all though and I dare say that most of the rock chips suffered were from that. I haven't washed my car yet but so far I've seen a few rock scratches on one of the door panels and my rear wheels and bumper arches tool a pounding.

I took a couple videos, 1 from the outside near the rear wheel and you can really see the gravel fly haha. I'll see if I can get a chance to post them up sometime.

I'd do it again if it was swept a little better and I brought a shitload of tape to cover up the arches. It was pretty fun once I got my turbos working =P. Maxing out at 140kph is not great haha

Don't wash it Alex. All the chips will become visible.
My mate owns a panel shop so when should we all arrange to go and get the cars resprayed.

Quote:
Alex, Edwin - how are your wheel arches looking? Mine looked crap and after a hell of a lot of heavy cut polish they look acceptable unless you look close.

Bugger the wheels - get them resprayed when I gutter rash them or get bored with the colour.

Need new back tyres though - they have big holes and tears where the rocks were. Fronts are fine with no holes or tears...
My wheel arches took a beating also. I had the polish out too yesterday but there is only so much magic it can work.

Let me know if or when you want to try my spare tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #162
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Don't wash it Alex. All the chips will become visible.
My mate owns a panel shop so when should we all arrange to go and get the cars resprayed.

My wheel arches took a beating also. I had the polish out too yesterday but there is only so much magic it can work.

Let me know if or when you want to try my spare tires.
I can hardly see the front bumper due to the amount of bugs on it . It's definitely going to need a wash haha. I already have so many rock chips on my bumper/bonnet they were going to need resprays even before this event. Almost 100,000km and too much driving on the M4...

I want to respray and wrap the front end so I'm definitely up for it whenever you are haha.
      10-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #163
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Here are the overall results.
Attached Images

Last edited by JB4-335; 10-28-2012 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #164
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Where did they post that up? On the FB?

Also, have they released the trap speeds for our final runs yet?

And also, grats on being the fastest BMW Edwin hahaha. Reckon they'll send you your trophy?
      10-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #165
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

On another note. All 3 of us lost to that hilux
      10-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #166
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

oohhhhhh the shame not only did the ute beat you boys but you let a jeep, a JEEP beat you
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #167
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Where did they post that up? On the FB?

Also, have they released the trap speeds for our final runs yet?

And also, grats on being the fastest BMW Edwin hahaha. Reckon they'll send you your trophy?
They didn't. I have inside connections.

Haven't released trap speeds yet.

Haha thanks Alex. I thought it would be close against that supercharged M3 seeing as he has the same power as Steve and I.
I'm just about to email Adam to find out if he's posted my trophy as yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #168
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
On another note. All 3 of us lost to that hilux
But I beat both Lambo's so it's not so bad.

EDIT: Sorry make that 3 Lambo's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
oohhhhhh the shame not only did the ute beat you boys but you let a jeep, a JEEP beat you
That jeep had a turbo twice the size of my head.

Last edited by JB4-335; 10-28-2012 at 10:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #169
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

That jeep has run sub 11s 1/4 mile I believe?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #170
Gumball
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
They didn't. I have inside connections.

Haven't released trap speeds yet.

Haha thanks Alex. I thought it would be close against that supercharged M3 seeing as he has the same power as Steve and I.
I'm just about to email Adam to find out if he's posted my trophy as yet.
Still want to know what my 3rd runs speed was - I am assuming my best time was the 3rd run or was that my 2nd run of 190kmh....
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #171
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Still want to know what my 3rd runs speed was - I am assuming my best time was the 3rd run or was that my 2nd run of 190kmh....
Your best time was S3, so the third session. Looking forward to finding out if it trapped your correct speed this time too.
      10-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #172
UR25IO
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M-SPORT DCT

wow, so how come the Verts are faster than the coupes when they are heavier??
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #173
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UR25IO View Post
wow, so how come the Verts are faster than the coupes when they are heavier??
That's simple Thony, it's cause people with coupes can't drive for sh!t. We have a 130kg disadvantage so we should be a lot slower. Sorry Steve, your problem is the MT. So if you want a quick car get an auto vert right Alex.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #174
Gumball
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Simple reason - I cant drive a manual all that well - ppl in the US get 11's and low 12's with manuals all the time - best for me is 12.8 and lots of low 13's.

When its rolling its fast as hell (much the same as Edwins as our private road testing has proven).

Looking at my log 0-100 was around 9 seconds on my last run.

First run got a 3.5 60 foot.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #175
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Simple reason - I cant drive a manual all that well - ppl in the US get 11's and low 12's with manuals all the time - best for me is 12.8 and lots of low 13's.

When its rolling its fast as hell (much the same as Edwins as our private road testing has proven).

Looking at my log 0-100 was around 9 seconds on my last run.

First run got a 3.5 60 foot.
Private Road.... I think after the 1000 roll-ons we did on the way your car was a little quicker than mine. I'm just a F$#$%G fantastic driver.
I really enjoyed driving your MT on that "Private Road". Felt extremely quick and nimble.

Last edited by JB4-335; 10-28-2012 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #176
UR25IO
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M-SPORT DCT

hahaha Edwin you are such a hater LOL hahaha

Steve I had no idea you car was a manual, lol practice makes perfect mate!
Appreciate 0