BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-21-2008, 12:25 AM   #1
~ILLEST 1~
Brigadier
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Wax Newbie

Hey guys, I see that the majority of the people on this site stand by zaino, but rarely mention any of the specifics. What would be a relatively inexpensive but effective cleaner? wax? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 01:42 AM   #2
1Serious
Rep
Drives:

My car is a SGM. With Zaino, I start with Z7, then ZAll-in-1, followed by Z2. After washes and between polishes, I use Z6. I use leather (Z9&10), windows (Z12, but not on tint) and tires (Z16). My car is a shiny SGM (No, I don't work for Zaino).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Zaino Canada - Product Information.pdf (166.6 KB, 594 views)
More 135i at http://gallery.me.com/pguild8#100022
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
ben14142001
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

If you prefer not to use Zaino, there are many options. P21S Wax works well. In fact, most of P21S products are quite good. The wheel cleaner is sensational. I switch between Zaino and other methods, just to try them out. Zaino works quite well, but tends to attract dust.

-Ben
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Any wax is better then no wax but I have found wax is worth spending a bit more $$ on. You can buy cheap stuff that works okay but for a little more $$$ you get a easier to apply product that looks better and lasts longer.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
ben14142001
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
Any wax is better then no wax but I have found wax is worth spending a bit more $$ on. You can buy cheap stuff that works okay but for a little more $$$ you get a easier to apply product that looks better and lasts longer.
Exactly. I think its worth spending a bit more to get better results, as long as you put in the time to apply it correctly. Some stuff is a bit overpriced in my opinion, like many of the Swissvax waxes, which are probably amazing, but for a couple hundred dollars, I consider them only for professional detailers and people that have money burning in their pocket.

-Ben
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #6
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
I would say if you plan on ordering online go with P21s, Griots....if you are going to your local Autozone or whatever I always used Meguiars Gold products. Many times with these cheaper, local store bought products it isnt the product but proper APPLICATION of the product that counts....
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 01:37 AM   #7
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESQUIRE View Post
Hey guys, I see that the majority of the people on this site stand by zaino, but rarely mention any of the specifics. What would be a relatively inexpensive but effective cleaner? wax? Thanks in advance
Inexpensive but effective cleaners:
Zaino z7: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=12

Dodo Juice Born to be Mild: http://www.detailedimage.com/Dodo-Ju...-Shampoo-P250/

Chemical Guys maxi Suds: http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemica...axi-Suds-P224/

Zaino is not a wax, it is a sealant. Waxes and sealants serve the exact same purpose - protection and shine. Sealants are just the newer technology, and the good ones also leave behind a slick anti-static surface. For the basic Zaino kit all you need is the "triplet" package, which is zAIO (your first cote), z8 (second cote, and quick detailer), and zCS (top cote): http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=2

Of course, once people start using Zaino they usually end up with the rest of the lineup: z2, z6, z7, zFX, etc.

Waxes are really a matter of personal preference. I've used Dodo Juice in the past, its great stuff (it even smells good), and DetailedImage.com now carries their lineup. http://www.detailedimage.com/Dodo-Juice-M35/

If you really want a slick looking car, get a claybar. You can put $0.99 turtle wax on a perfectly clayed car and it will look great.

I should also mention www.detailersdomain.com I've never purchased from them, but heard good things. DetailedImage and DetailersDomain are both active on these boards and offer discounts to 1addicts - do a search for more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Serious View Post
My car is a SGM. With Zaino, I start with Z7, then ZAll-in-1, followed by Z2. After washes and between polishes, I use Z6. I use leather (Z9&10), windows (Z12, but not on tint) and tires (Z16). My car is a shiny SGM (No, I don't work for Zaino).
zAIO should go down before z7 b/c it has the best bonding properties :wink:.

Appreciate 0