BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-19-2009, 03:53 AM   #45
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew@southernBM View Post
My mate had the Black M3,SC'd etc, pretty quick, he said a few of you guys are running JB3's, cool, i like reading about track days for the 135i guys and what supporting mods you run.

In Melb today there was a day at PI, one SBM AW 135i and another SBM LMB car, both tuned and both come away wanting some track tyres....
Oh you mean Loren's M3! Yeah, that car's from another planet with mega dollars spent on it. He used to just bring it to track days to have fun and drift out of the corners with it's awesome power. Now he's getting serious and has the handling and grip (full slicks) to match. Loren's nearly 8 secs quicker than us around the Clubman and 10 secs quicker around the National. No comparison. It's road registered (somehow...) but quicker than many racers.
Attached Images

09-20-2009, 04:33 AM   #46
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Oh you mean Loren's M3! Yeah, that car's from another planet with mega dollars spent on it. He used to just bring it to track days to have fun and drift out of the corners with it's awesome power. Now he's getting serious and has the handling and grip (full slicks) to match. Loren's nearly 8 secs quicker than us around the Clubman and 10 secs quicker around the National. No comparison. It's road registered (somehow...) but quicker than many racers.
Ha Ha there's my bro!

Thanks Mate
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 06:11 AM   #47
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Full slicks? Can the engine handle the G-force? Is it dry sump?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #48
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Some oner pics from QR.
Attached Images

09-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #49
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

One of my work"mates" felt the need to doctor one of my pictures...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #50
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Oooh, I've seen and heard that M3. Sounded.... quite different to say the least!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #51
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
"On one of the sessions I did begin to get some brake fade so came in early. I actually expected it to be worse so overall I'm very impressed with the stock brake package. Especially since this track is very hard on brakes."

"My assessment on what's needed for me to go faster in this car is:

1) More skill - I had a couple of the turns well sorted out but was very inconsistent on one in particular. The only left hander I found very difficult. Most of the time I was probably too fast into it and tended to wash off a lot of speed with understeer. Especially on the Clubman circuit where it is preceded by a hard right hander thus making it into an S-bend.

2) Add negative camber to the front. The back has plenty of grip, even with the standard diff. However the outside shoulder of both front tyres suffered a lot of wear.

3) Switch to a more race oriented set of pads in the front (and change to fresh racing fluid while I'm at it)."
I didn't have any issue with the brakes and was able to brake late and hard (well, to my standard anyway), into turns 2 & 6 without any perceived fade. I'm running standard pads on the performance discs. Maybe there is a significant cooling advantage with these discs or maybe I just don't brake as hard as you. I certainly had the front wheels chirping at times though.

Ditto with the skill issue, though I do know that for the left hander (actually two left handers), you need to brake and turn in much earlier than think. I've learn't this the hard way on the bike.

I'd like the extra front camber too though I don't want to install solid camber plates and would like to be able set camber back closer to standard when back on the road. 'Not sure if this is possible. I did have issues with rear grip with the Kumhos though, particularly coming onto the front straight. I had traction control fully off and could certainly feel the e-diff working. Too much power and both wheels lit up and the back end came out. It was pretty controlable with the right foot though.

I'm sorry I wasn't in the same group as Dizzy and yourself as it looks like we were running very similar times. Next time. It was fun watching you guys chase each other though.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #52
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Full slicks? Can the engine handle the G-force? Is it dry sump?
I don't know the setup WAY. He's been running the engine for a few years now though and it seems very reliable. Andrew probably knows more...

Are you (or any others) up for a ride to Phillip Island for the GP in October? I'm riding down from Brisbane with 15 others. Camping at the track. 'Hoping to talk my brother into hiring a bike and riding out from Melbourne to meet us. Mattyv is flying down for it too.
      09-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #53
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

No Dry sump, just an Active Autowerke Supercharger kit, brakes, suspension, tyres, etc etc, runs hard and well, he's run NOS on it before for drag racing but the car is built for multi purpose so he drags it with NOS and circuit races with it without. It makes big power.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #54
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
I don't know the setup WAY. He's been running the engine for a few years now though and it seems very reliable. Andrew probably knows more...

Are you (or any others) up for a ride to Phillip Island for the GP in October? I'm riding down from Brisbane with 15 others. Camping at the track. 'Hoping to talk my brother into hiring a bike and riding out from Melbourne to meet us. Mattyv is flying down for it too.
1addcicts at Pino's!! (if it's still open for business)

We can bang on with some good Italian and plenty of vino!
Appreciate 0