BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

Koni FSD On M-Sport Suspension Worth It?

I know this topic-ish has been beaten many times.. I haven't though found any of the threads that reference the an m-sport packaged 135i. I saw that a lot of people pair up the FSDs with the Eibach springs, but I think I saw that those people didn't have the m-sport package.. and I want to say I saw somewhere that someone said the m-sport springs are lower than the eibach ones? So I was thinking I would just pair the FSDs with the stock m-sport springs..

Now.. having the m-sport suspension, would the FSDs net any performance benefits?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

I have Koni Sports with 2011 M Sport Springs on my car and I love the set up. I suspect that Koni FSD's would provide a similar benefit in handling, although without the adjustability of the Koni Sports.

My car is a 2009 135i that came with M Sport springs. For 2011 BMW changed the springs (at least the rear ones) from progressive to linear. So I picked up a set of 2011 springs and swapped them for my 2009s and at the same time replaced my stock dampers with Koni Sport dampers. My car also has an M3 (E93) front sway bar, M3 control arms and tension rods and Alufelgen SF-71 wheels with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo tires.

If it were me I'd go with the Koni Sports over the FSDs just so I could dial in the ride and performance I like. But if you don't want to mess with adjusting the dampers the FSDs would still be an improvement over the stock dampers. They are one of the weak links in the suspension anyway.
      09-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Here is a link to the thread I posted about my suspension mods. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636984
      09-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
FSDs will work fine with those springs, and they will make a huge difference. I recommend riding in a car that has FSDs to make sure you like them. They are very different from anything else. The ride is very soft over bumps, but they firm up in turns and manage to do both in bumpy turns, which is my favorite thing about them. I have them in my car and love them for street. There are better options for track but with nowhere near the ride comfort. Here's a graphic from a Koni ad that I like posting to annoy the Koni Sport guys:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoooh View Post
I know this topic-ish has been beaten many times.. I haven't though found any of the threads that reference the an m-sport packaged 135i. I saw that a lot of people pair up the FSDs with the Eibach springs, but I think I saw that those people didn't have the m-sport package.. and I want to say I saw somewhere that someone said the m-sport springs are lower than the eibach ones? So I was thinking I would just pair the FSDs with the stock m-sport springs..

Now.. having the m-sport suspension, would the FSDs net any performance benefits?
The short answer to your question is yes. The biggest weakness of the 135's suspension is the dampening, or lack of it. It's designed to be soft to help absorb the road vibrations transmitted by the rft's. You really can't go wrong with getting them and ditching the rft's. The car will feel much more controlled.
      09-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Yeah lately I've been throwing out the idea of getting a tune first and going with tires (either way I was going with tires this upcoming spring) and shocks. I would go with the sports so that they're adjustable but they aren't really that adjustable, I mean I know you don't have to adjust them all that much.. but the rears you have to remove the shock to adjust it and I think that is just insane.. Haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoooh View Post
Thanks for all the feedback guys! Yeah lately I've been throwing out the idea of getting a tune first and going with tires (either way I was going with tires this upcoming spring) and shocks. I would go with the sports so that they're adjustable but they aren't really that adjustable, I mean I know you don't have to adjust them all that much.. but the rears you have to remove the shock to adjust it and I think that is just insane.. Haha.
You are welcome! BTW the Koni Sports are available with external adjustable rear shocks. Harold at HPA sells them. I have them on my car. See link http://hpashop.com/Koni-External-Adj...11275SPTCK.htm
      09-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
bippie999
The One
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 m135i coupe sport package

suspension

I got the double adjustable TC Kline suspension, it's great on the track, but watch out when going over a dip in the road, the suspension drops fast and hard with a big "clunk". My wife won't ride with me in the car anymore!
2008 135i coupe w/Sport Package, aFe cold air, TC Kline DA suspension/Camber plates. AA Charge pipe/BOV, cat-less Downpipes, and AA FMIC. SuperSprint mid-pipes, Cobb V3 AP, and Corsa muffler, Wavetrac LSD, M3 contol arms and bushings + RSFB, Rear Toe-control arms, Front and rear H&R sway bars, shock tower brace, Hawk track pads, Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Enkei wheels.
Appreciate 0