BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-11-2009, 01:01 AM   #1
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Dyno Results...testing a fuel additive.

I was introduced to a fuel additive a few weeks ago that claimed better gas mileage AND better performance,
as well as a cleaner burning car, a lubricant for longer engine life, and other stuff.
I was skeptical of it doing ALL that stuff, especially increasing power, as most fuel additives do squat in that regard.
And the ones that do (like Torco or Toulene) cost like $15 per tankful treatment.
This stuff costs under $4 per tankful treatment.

After testing it's results in my wife's Prius and getting about 5 mpg improvement in gas mileage (no kidding)
I thought, ok, time to test it's performance claims.
I went to the dyno two Mondays ago with my car on 91 Octane and JB3 Map 4.
I showed up at the dyno with Mote, T, and the friend who introduced me to the stuff, and who I was willing to dyno test it for.

We dynoed my car and got it's results.
Temps that day were in the 60-62 degrees, it was cloudy and humidity was around 80% according to weather.com

I added this fuel additive called Syntek in my car immediately afterward and filled up my tank. I spent one week driving the car
to allow the Syntek to do some of it's work. I used up that tank and filled up again, added the Syntek and drove another day or so
bringing my tank back to 3/4 tank (where it was when I dynoed the prior week).
In both tankfuls I used Union 76 gas from the same station.
One week later with the Syntek in the tank I returned to the dyno (with T again helping out) to see if any gains were to be had
by using this Syntek. Temps were almost exactly the same, about 60-62 degrees, cloudy out and this time about 65% humidity.

Well, hot damn, I was shocked.
The car picked up about 6-8 peak rwhp and 7-9 peak rwtq. But that was only part of the story. There were gains pretty much throughout
the power band. Picking up as much as 17.8 rwhp AND 18 rwtq.

**Note, on the red run with Syntek, there was some dyno adaptation going on, as that was the first pull that morning. T mentioned this
might be the case beforehand. I (and anyone else who has dynoed the tuned N54 engine) have experienced this in the past, it in fact
does usually take at least one pull for the ECU to adjust to dyno runs. The result is often a not so smooth dyno on the first pull.
That happened here and power was pulled in the 5200-5800 rpm range. But regardless, it still made more power throughout the rev range
with the exception of that area where the car's ECU pulled power while it was adapting. But by the next pulls it had smoothed out a more
and you can see that it made more power pretty much everywhere with the Syntek in.

**Another note: Syntek states to use the product in 3 full tankfuls to realize it's full benefit. I got these power gains with using just
1 tankful of the stuff. I wouldn't expect it to gain anymore, but who knows, with more time to clean and do it's stuff, more gains might
be likely as well.

I tried the stuff since it has a 30 day 100% money back guarantee. But I'll surely be using it from now on.
I'd love to see others try it and do some dyno and VBox testing themselves.
The stuff is unbelievably cheap for what it does. It costs about about $3.75-$4 per tankful treatment (and it will shock you that a treatment
is about equal to one tablespoon of the stuff). But for that you get sizeable power
gains, equal to what you'd get if you added about 1.5+ gallons of 100 Octane to each tankful (and that costs $10-12) and you have to
drive to a station to get it. On top of that, it really does give you better gas mileage too (at least in a car that you don't drive as hard
as we drive our tuned 335i's

Here's the dyno results:
Attached Images

Last edited by Driver72; 07-11-2009 at 01:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 01:02 AM   #2
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Oh and for you 93 Octane guys, the Syntek does even better!

Here's a before and after with Syntek on 93 octane.

Note: The before was done on JB3 v1.22 on Map 6 with 93-94 Octane
The after with Syntek was on JB3 1.3 on Map 6 with 92.5-93 Octane.

v1.22 actually has more power in the top end (above 6000 rpms) than 1.3
and 1.3 actually has a bit more power below 5200 rpms than v1.22

However, you'll notice with Syntek and even lower octane, the v1.3 dyno made equal power on the top end as v1.22 alone with a bit higher octane.
And below 5200 rpms, where 1.3 is usually about 8-10 rwhp stronger, it's now MUCH, MUCH stronger with the Syntek in.

**The second dyno is a dyno of v1.22 vs v1.3 both on 91 Octane and Map 4 to show that in fact as stated above, v1.22 is stronger on the top end than 1.3 and that 1.3 only makes about 8-10 rwhp more below 5200 rpms than 1.22
This goes to show what a difference was made when Syntek was added, even with lower octane gas.
This crap really does seem to work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 01:04 AM   #3
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Oh, and other than the JB3 and my 19" wheels/tires, my car is completely stock. Still have the stock air filter in too.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 02:24 AM   #4
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Very interesting write up and results, on a similar note a strange thing happened to me last Sunday

I have been running my car on 99 octane supermarket pump fuel for the last four months, until the other day when I need to fill up at a Shell station, naturally I went for V-Power 98 Octane, as soon as I fired up the car, I immediately notice the exhaust note was much softer, also as though the ECU had altered itself to allow for a lower grade fuel, I plan to run the tank low again and go back to 99 octane and see what happens.

Driver..

Did you notice any such exhaust note change?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 03:20 AM   #5
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Be aware our cars are very sensitive to fuel it seems due to our HPFP systems. I think someone on here used an additive and shortly after had his pump fail. Not sure if it is related, but it has stopped me from using any sort of additive in the BMW (I used to be a regular user in my other cars).
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 06:28 AM   #6
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Interesting. Driver72 do you have any sort of affiliation with the company that manufactures this product? Any "miracle" product that increases horsepower that easily follows the rule, "if it seems to good to be true, it probably is."

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
^^^^Yeah not knocking the OP but I immediately had a vision of a late night infommercial when I started reading this post. But I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt with a 4k+ post count.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #8
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Very interesting write up and results, on a similar note a strange thing happened to me last Sunday

I have been running my car on 99 octane supermarket pump fuel for the last four months, until the other day when I need to fill up at a Shell station, naturally I went for V-Power 98 Octane, as soon as I fired up the car, I immediately notice the exhaust note was much softer, also as though the ECU had altered itself to allow for a lower grade fuel, I plan to run the tank low again and go back to 99 octane and see what happens.

Driver..

Did you notice any such exhaust note change?

That's all in your head.

First of all, it will take several miles to burn through the fuel that's in the lines and pumps from your last tankfuel, and second, ECU adaptations don't happen anywhere NEAR that fast. The difference between one point either way will be so small you'll never notice it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #9
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

If you rub this product on your cars hood, and then squirt on and light up some lighter fluid, will it protect the finish?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Z View Post
Interesting. Driver72 do you have any sort of affiliation with the company that manufactures this product? Any "miracle" product that increases horsepower that easily follows the rule, "if it seems to good to be true, it probably is."
Nope. A friend mentioned it to me, and I like "testing" products and claims.
Keep in mind, this is not an octane booster. They say you get the additional power from the cleaner burning fuel at a lower temp as well as the emulsifier that removes the harmful water from the gas that collects in the gas tanks.
So unlike many of those over the counter "octane booster" that usually do squat, and do nothing else, this is apparently not one of those products. The power increase is a bonus, not what the stuff is designed to do. It's primarily designed to make your engine run cleaner, stabilize the fuel and have it burn more thoroughly.

I was one of the first 20 people in the country to put a PROcede on my BMW when it came out. Everyone was scared of it, but I said, WTF.
I refused to try the JuiceBox too until the JB3 came out.
But that thing is a thing of beauty too.

To the guy that asked: I did not notice any change in exhaust note. I think that was purely placebo for you.

Regarding HPFP: Well those damn things have failed on stock cars by the bunches.
If anything, this Syntek stuff would allow them to work better, according to their claims.
They are registered with the EPA and meet all federal guidelines for combustible engines, as they mention on the website.

The product was originally designed for diesel engines, and diesels have direct injection, so it shouldn't be a problem in that regard either.

If anything, adding a tune to our cars does 100x more "damage" to our engines/drivetrains. Tunes do absolutely NO GOOD for our cars well being, but they make beautiful power.

This Syntek stuff was designed to do the opposite. Not doing harm for the engines by making them do stuff they weren't intended and designed to do, but improve all ability of the engines to burn and use the imperfect gasolines we use in them and remove all the crap that these gasolines leave behind.
The apparent bonus of that, is an engine that runs better, cleaner, and cooler, and therefore that's where the additional power comes from.

I'd love to see more results from it myself, but in the meantime, that stuff has good backing from EPA/Federal Govt.
Seems to make good on their claims, and has been proven and tested for years in multimillion dollar machines of all kinds from multibillion dollar companies.
So I figure, WTF, I'm going to try it. It worked, and I'm happy with it.
By some slim chance, if my HPFP goes, or injectors go or whatever, i'm 99.9% sure that would be more a result of running a tune that's nearly doubling the boost, altering the timing, fuel and other aspects the engine wasn't designed to do.
Or in the HPFP case, just that they are crap and fail, that's also a proven fact.

Heck I tried the Sham-Wow, and that damn thing works too!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

hmm, effect on the MPGs?
      06-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #12
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct View Post
hmm, effect on the MPGs?

Well, I first tried in in my wife's Prius.
Obviously a car that was designed to get optimal fuel economy.
I've filled up the Prius for her probably 30 times in the 2 years we've owned it.
I've never personally seen over 46 mpg with the car.
The EPA rates it as a combined 45 mpg.
And that's usually what we get when driving it without the use of the a/c.
She sees 44-45 mpg usually, but in summer when it's hot and the a/c runs, it drops to around 42-43 usually.

She usually gets about 390 or so miles to a tank when their is 1 bar on the gas gauge left. At between 400-410 that bars starts to blink letting her know she needs to fill up.

I sh1t you not, the very first tankful I put the Syntek in the car, I monitored her mileage and the gas gauge.
When she had 393 miles on the gas trip odometer (it automatically resets every time you fill up) she still had 2 bars left on the gas gauge.
So I decided, well, let's go fill it up and see.
It took 7.7 gallons of gas.
That means 51 mpg!!

Then a few weeks ago we had a heat wave in So Cal. we had multiple 90-98 degree days. My wife then started using the a/c in the car.
Well with that second tank of gas then with the Syntek, we saw 45.3 mpg when using the a/c. Again, much more than normal when using the a/c

Then for the past two weeks, things have cooled back down here and she hasn't used the a/c.
On the third tank of gas with the Syntek we got 49.54 mpg.
But here's the kicker: The day before we filled up she called me to tell me the low pressure tire light came on.
So on the same day I filled up I checked her tire pressures.
Her right rear was down to 26 psi. It's suppose to be at 37 psi.
So she still got nearly 50 mpg on that third tank while driving most likely most of that tank with a tire that was low on pressure.
She would more than likely of gotten 50+ mpg had that tire had the proper air the whole time.

So, that's when I decided to try the stuff in my BMW and check for it's performance claims.
And after only 1 tankful, it passed that test too!

I don't know, to me the stuff worked in both increasing gas mileage in a car that's probably pretty hard to do that in, and made measurable power increases in my tuned BMW.
I'll admit, in a "normal" NA car like a Toyota Camry, would the stuff make 17 rwhp more at 2500 rpms? Of course not.
But it's not MADE to make more power. It probably would free up a few ponies in the Camry or other "normal" car too. But more importantly for those type owners, it very well will improve their gas mileage by a measurable amount, and if the car is a bit more peppy for them, that would just be a bonus I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Heck I tried the Sham-Wow, and that damn thing works too!
ExtenZe???
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #14
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
ExtenZe???

No haven't tried that stuff. I am ok on my own in that regard.

But hey, again, millions use it so it must do something for them.
If I was below average in that department, fuk yeah I'd give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #15
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Well I just ordered some, I wont be able to do a dyno but I will post my impressions on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #16
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I just want to hear 1 series specifc mpg results, if it's 10% more, I'll buy it
      06-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #17
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct View Post
I just want to hear 1 series specifc mpg results, if it's 10% more, I'll buy it
That's the problem, I doubt you'll see mpg increase in our cars, unless you drive it consistently day to day.
If you drive the snot out of the car or it's a weekend warrior your mileage will of course vary.
But if you drive the car the same route everyday and know you get roughly say 18 mpg each time, there's a good chance you will increase mileage.

I drive my BMW to hard and too inconsistently (never the same roads or routes day to day) to accurately measure mpg in it.
That why I tried it in the wife's Prius.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #18
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
Well I just ordered some, I wont be able to do a dyno but I will post my impressions on it.
Sounds good, please do let everyone know.
I'm curious myself about others results.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #19
SpeedballTrix
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT SBM/CBL; 2022 X5

Hopefully it won't dissolve your exhaust manifold gasket and valve stem seals.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #20
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
ExtenZe???
Lolz......

Thanks for posting your results Driver!
      06-11-2009, 11:42 PM   #21
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

http://tryit.gosyntek.com/opportunity/index.html

"Of course the choice is obvious, but the real question is: How many people would you tell about it?

Now think about this. What if you were paid for everyone you told about it?

That is the idea behind the Syntek Global Opportunity."

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 12:04 AM   #22
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

haha, after watching a few episodes of Pitchmen on discovery channel, I am pretty convinced if this or anything like it actually worked to any extent, Billy Mays and Sully would have been all over it a long time ago