BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #45
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart View Post
Lag on the N55 DCT is a mixture between the computer saving the clutches for longevity and fuel/throttle cutting to keep the car under control during an initial take off.

If you have ever turned the DTC completely off and then switched to manual/sport mode, jammed on the gas... you would know what I'm talking about. All you do is spin the tires like this.

If you have JB4, do some logs on your laptop. You will see where the throttle/fuel is cut when the pedal is actually being depressed all the way with the traction control on.
I believe everyone know what traction control kicking in feels like. IT IS NOT A MIXTURE BETWEEN THE TWO things you mentioned. Nobody here is mentioning a full throttle application.

FWIW my brother has a 2009 M3 DCT and his transmission does not behave like this. It is MUCH more predictible. Same transmission, different software. He can set his transmission settings to five or six different modes. BMW should be able to do something about this. Another car with the exact same transmission does not have the issue. They need to iron it out because they have received a lot of complaints.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #46
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkNuts View Post
...FWIW my brother has a 2009 M3 DCT and his transmission does not behave like this. It is MUCH more predictible. Same transmission, different software. He can set his transmission settings to five or six different modes. BMW should be able to do something about this. Another car with the exact same transmission does not have the issue. They need to iron it out because they have received a lot of complaints.
While the M3 and the 135i both have DCT(double clutch transmission)'s they are not the same trans.

Plus the 135i DCT is six gears while the M3 DCT has seven gears.

Edit: Both DCT's are seven speeds. (see post bellow)...

e9x DCT trans part number 28007842585 ~$10K
e8x DCT trans part number 28007585538 ~$10K
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #47
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
While the M3 and the 135i both have DCT(double clutch transmission)'s they are not the same trans.

Plus the 135i DCT is six gears while the M3 DCT has seven gears.

e9x DCT trans part number 28007842585 ~$10K
e8x DCT trans part number 28007585538 ~$10K
In America the dct in the 135i is a 7-speed....
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #48
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1 View Post
In America the dct in the 135i is a 7-speed....

Ok. I stand corrected. My car is a 6MT.

But still... these are two different DCT trans. They function the same, but are different parts/units.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #49
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Agreed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Ok. I stand corrected. My car is a 6MT.

But still... these are two different DCT trans. They function the same, but are different parts/units.
No hard feelings, sorry if my smiley is a little violent but you are right,a lot of people think there the same tranny,when they are two trannys based on the same technology but built differently
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #50
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No hard feelings, sorry if my smiley is a little violent but you are right,a lot of people think there the same tranny,when they are two trannys based on the same technology but built differently
Hmm, I'm not sure about that. I dug up a post here that says otherwise.

Post #10

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632809
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #51
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Stand corrected

Quote:
Hmm, I'm not sure about that. I dug up a post here that says otherwise.

Post #10

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632809
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 11:05 AM   #52
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
The transmissions are the same. The clutch pack upgrade for the M3 can be used for the 135i.
      08-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #53
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Bogart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart View Post
The transmissions are the same. The clutch pack upgrade for the M3 can be used for the 135i.
Is there any way someone can take the Ecu software from the m3s m-dct and reprogram it for the 135i instead?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #54
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

No one ?

StuPid question I guess
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #55
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
I wish...
      08-31-2012, 10:40 PM   #56
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
Rep

Probably like putting a square peg through a circle. I highly doubt it's compatible.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #57
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yea figured

Quote:
Probably like putting a square peg through a circle. I highly doubt it's compatible.
If be nIce to control the revs in LC and have more settings
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #58
alexmtl_135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 C63 Coupe P31

Quote:
If be nIce to control the revs in LC and have more settings
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #59
cobra351w
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i, Alpine White

Throttle Response problems

Hi, My very first post on 1 addicts..!!

I'm very interested that I'm not the only one who has been suffering from the throttle response issues, and sometimes it's downright dangerous.

Always the same issue,either just after pulling up to a junction, and then accelerating, or from traffic lights, standing start, initially nothing, then more throttle, and all hell brakes loose.

I have had a few near misses, when pulling out, only to find nothing happens, and when it decided to catch up, I'm braking so hard not to plough into the guys I would have been in front of.

Funny , now the weather is cooling off a bit, it seems worse cold, or maybe the problem is just more frequent, difficult to tell.

I took it to my dealer, as still under warranty, and they said it was my driving style due to the posted diag error, saying the breaks were overheating, so reduced the power...do what!, I'd driven it only 2 miles from leaving work, anyway they cleared all the error logs, and seemed to be better for a while, but now it's back even worse.

I'm interested to know if member TX135i , got theirs fixed, as I also read another post stating the following:-

##################################################

Important Update - Power loss after DME Reprogram on N55 2011 135i
Hey guys,

This is an update from my previous thread - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638072

For those of you who had your DME updated through SIB 12-22-10 campaign, there is a follow up to address the throttle response issue on SIB 12-22-11.

I've been working with a guy from Road and Track and here's the response from BMW regarding the latest update:

Hi Joe,

BMW PR got back to me and they had this to say.

The Service Information Bulletin 12-22-10 has been followed up with an SIB 12-22-11. The exact wording of the e-mail is below. Sounds like it’s just a calibration issue.

"Referencing your question about "noticeable turbo lag, loss of low end power and muted exhaust", the SIB that you referenced identified the issue and a subsequent SIB was issued to address any delayed throttle response due to DME software calibration with improved DME software.

################################################## #

Anybody know if this actually fixed the issue??

Regards
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #60
Draxus
Private
Rep
Drives: MK4 R32

Has anyone tried or looked into getting the M3 DCT software onto a 135i?

I come from the VW world and we could really program anything into anything if it was made by VW/Audi. So, I don't see how the same DCT couldn't be software flashed.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 02:45 AM   #61
cobra351w
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draxus View Post
Has anyone tried or looked into getting the M3 DCT software onto a 135i?

I come from the VW world and we could really program anything into anything if it was made by VW/Audi. So, I don't see how the same DCT couldn't be software flashed.
I guess anything's possible, with the correct code.!

Well off to the dealers this morning, armed with the postings, so they can't tell me it's me.!

Try and find out about the mythical code, see if it's global, and see if it's fixed.

I'll also try to find out if they upgraded the code,as per SIB-12-22-10 in the past year when I've had the car, as I'm damn sure it didn't do this, when I first had it.!

regards..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #62
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra351w View Post

Well off to the dealers this morning, armed with the postings, so they can't tell me it's me.!

Try and find out about the mythical code, see if it's global, and see if it's fixed.

I'll also try to find out if they upgraded the code,as per SIB-12-22-10 in the past year when I've had the car, as I'm damn sure it didn't do this, when I first had it.!

regards..
I have good news for you. I was probably the #1 complainer about the slow roll throttle lag and I talked with my dealer about the issue for over a year. About a month ago I got a call to bring my car in because my guy in the service dept did some research and told me BMW was working on a fix. They finally have it. I'm not sure exactly what the software code is for it but it has pretty much completely alleviated the issue. Much more predictable and no more wondering when the car is going to move. Bring your car in and ask for an update specifically for the DCT cars. It has transformed the car and I'm finally super happy with it.

With regard to putting M-DCT software on our cars it's extremely doubtful - and in my case not necessary anymore. That software has to account for the ability to tweak those particular settings and we don't have the hardware to do that in our cars. It would take experts time to code the software and make it applicable to our cars. But like I said, don't worry about this option and get your car in for the new software update.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #63
cobra351w
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I have good news for you. I was probably the #1 complainer about the slow roll throttle lag and I talked with my dealer about the issue for over a year. About a month ago I got a call to bring my car in because my guy in the service dept did some research and told me BMW was working on a fix. They finally have it. I'm not sure exactly what the software code is for it but it has pretty much completely alleviated the issue. Much more predictable and no more wondering when the car is going to move. Bring your car in and ask for an update specifically for the DCT cars. It has transformed the car and I'm finally super happy with it.

With regard to putting M-DCT software on our cars it's extremely doubtful - and in my case not necessary anymore. That software has to account for the ability to tweak those particular settings and we don't have the hardware to do that in our cars. It would take experts time to code the software and make it applicable to our cars. But like I said, don't worry about this option and get your car in for the new software update.
ParkNuts,

That's really good news, funny though my dealer in the uk yesterday , said there was not a fix, don't suppose you could give me you dealer name and contact mail/phone, and maybe I can get the two talking to each other...just maybe
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #64
BuddhaPilot
Swollen Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BSM Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkNuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra351w View Post

regards..

There's just now a software fix? They told me there was a fix due out in a month back in July 2011 that never materialized. I had the same issues with my 2011 and a tech was able to repeatedly reproduce the transmission lag at low speeds, even in manual sport mode. The PUMA case showed that the trans was the source and there were no issues with traction control intervening and causing it to not accelerate predictably from a stop or low speeds. It would sometimes suddenly slam into gear if you rolled on the throttle more to try and get the car moving. There were also other weird things going on with the DCT in my car as, so I just couldn't trust the thing. BMW ended up buying that one back and replaced it with a manual car. There are occasional times I miss being able to put the thing in full auto mode while in traffic but not many.

I got to drive a DCT M3 recently and I see what some of the other posters mean. It acts much more intuitively to the driver's style and what it is asked to do. I may be completely wrong, but wouldn't it have been more cost effective to have just went with MDCT software/hardware versus developing a completely different version for the 1er?

Finally delivered!!...2012 135i/AW over Coral Red/MSport/Nav/HK/Toasty Seats/6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #65
Draxus
Private
Rep
Drives: MK4 R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaPilot View Post
There's just now a software fix? They told me there was a fix due out in a month back in July 2011 that never materialized. I had the same issues with my 2011 and a tech was able to repeatedly reproduce the transmission lag at low speeds, even in manual sport mode. The PUMA case showed that the trans was the source and there were no issues with traction control intervening and causing it to not accelerate predictably from a stop or low speeds. It would sometimes suddenly slam into gear if you rolled on the throttle more to try and get the car moving. There were also other weird things going on with the DCT in my car as, so I just couldn't trust the thing. BMW ended up buying that one back and replaced it with a manual car. There are occasional times I miss being able to put the thing in full auto mode while in traffic but not many.

I got to drive a DCT M3 recently and I see what some of the other posters mean. It acts much more intuitively to the driver's style and what it is asked to do. I may be completely wrong, but wouldn't it have been more cost effective to have just went with MDCT software/hardware versus developing a completely different version for the 1er?

The 'hardware' difference might just be a few buttons and stuff inside the cabin. If the transmissions are the same, shouldn't be that hard.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #66
Jatran661
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaPilot View Post

My car is having alot of dct problems also! One dealer changed my flywheel but still did not fix the problem and said its normal. How did you get bmw to buy back ur car for a manual. I would rather have that now
Appreciate 0