BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
CPSOX
Rep
Drives: 135i Le Mans Blue M Sport

Power Washer Brush

I have a power washer at home and I'm looking for a brush attachment for the more stubborn dirt. Is there anything in particular I should look for, I don't want to damage the paint job on any of my cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 06:00 AM   #2
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

a wash mitt.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
CPSOX
Rep

That'll look a little silly on the end of a power washer, wouldn't it?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
He's basically telling you that you don't want to use a power washer brush to wash your car unless you're looking for scratches..

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Power washing with a brush is for mud covered 4x4's, off road vehicles, work trucks with power lifts and perhaps getting barnacles off of boats. If your 135 is that dirty that you are even considering a power washer, then I would rinse it with a hose first to soften up the dirt and use a microfiber wash mitt with a good quality car wash product (I like Simoniz Gel with Carnuba Wax). Wash each section very gently and rinse the mitt out regularly - use two buckets, one for rinsing out the mitt - and the second for the car wash.

After you do the first wash, start over again with a second clean wash mitt, water and car wash gel.

Maybe just use the power washer on the wheels, but I would use Simoniz wheel cleaner or equivalent first.

But keep that power sprayer away from the paint. Nothing good can happen.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
CPSOX
Rep

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'm asking if there are any attachments that are made of the same material as a good mitt. I live in Chicago and while buckets of soap and water are fine in the summer, I need a winter solution too. If you're saying what I'm looking for doesn't exist, that's cool too....but I can't do a full detail in the winter, just not practical. I also don't have the desire for all out 5 hour detail jobs, just isn't my thing.

I will check out that wheel cleaner though, it's my only beef with my Bimmers. I do like the ability to stop though, so can't complain too loudly.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Don't do it!!! A friend used a lower pressure Karcher pressure washer on his GTI and always told me how careful he was. He is very anal about his cars and keeps them in great shape. He claimed his paint was perfect and swirl free as he never rubbed the paint. Only used the pressure washer to clean and a blower to dry it off. He pre-soaked it low pressure, applied the proper soap and let it do its job. Then he rinsed it off with high pressure. One day he noticed his hood and roof had tons of small paint chips. We aren't talking 10 or 15...we are talking 80-90. He had a body shop look at it and the guy looked at it for a second and said that he pressure washed it with some road grime/sand on the paint and it almost "sandblasted" the paint. There was no way to paint the chips as they were too small and too many. The solution was to repaint it. He now has a new car...and used the 2 bucket method with several microfibre wash mitts.
Appreciate 0