BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Crusade against tailgating

It was heavy rain up here a couple of days ago, and as usual I like to have about 3 seconds gap in this situation. The car infront of me is doing around 105 in a 110km zone and whilst most cars on the left hand lane with heavy traffic is doing about 100km.

A modded impreza was tailgating me for at least 30km, and even flashing his high beams at me. So, did he expect me to either tailgate the person in front, or for me to move over so that he can tailgate the person in front?

Anyway decided to hold my position, and turn on my fogs on and drive how I normally drive, overtaking at GPS legal speeds, and keeping my 3 seconds gap when I am going no where. Observing his speed, he wasn't comfortable going over the legal limit in those conditions either. Eventually, he decided overtake me with a very small gap on the left hand side and accelerated to at least 130km (remember this is in heavy traffic and heavy rain), and proceed to slow down to 100km/h on the right hand lane, and brake tested me twice - which is rather pointless as I always remain adequate gap to the next car where I didn't even have to take my foot off the accelerator.

I found this not an isolated incident, but tailgating seems to be very acceptable for people who drives. I always leave room for the unexpected, why don't the police concentrate their efforts on tailgating which have much worse consequences than 3km over the limit in the states south of our borders?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Totally agreed. Tailgaters and left lane undertakers.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
Linwe
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 120i E87

I agree, I do the Brisbane to Sunny Coast trip every weekend and I can't believe how many tailgaters I see or experience. People seem to forget the average reaction rate to sudden braking from a car ahead is 0.7 seconds, then account for how long it takes to brake hard and slow down/bring car to a stop. That's a lot of metres if you're hurling along at 100-120km/h. Worse in the rain too!

People also love to NOT slow down in 80km/h roadworks zones too and zip right up to the backs of cars observing the limit.

My pet peeve is how many people (and especially silver, white and charcoal cars) who don't turn their lights on in the rain. You're practically invisible you dicks!

EDIT: I'm actually a left hand undertaker of sorts because it shits me on a 3 lane highway people sit in the middle lane for no reason and in some cases doing way under the limit. I keep left always so I may pass on left if anything to prove a point. Middle laners clog traffic

Last edited by Linwe; 04-13-2013 at 01:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #4
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

Tailgating in peak traffic always bewildered me. God forbid they arrive at the next red light 20 milliseconds later.
      04-13-2013, 12:36 AM   #5
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Agree with you Steve, re: tailgaters and leaving ample braking distance.

However 2 wrongs do not make one right.

Driving 30kms in right lane is poor form, in any weather condition at any speed.

You could have backed into the left lane and let him pass before resuming your right lane driving.

Both you and the reckless driver have forced him into the dangerous manoeuvre you have described.

There is no excuse for bad road behaviour no matter what moral ground we claim.

Using relative speeds as a measure of road behaviour is also ridiculous.

Sorry dude, the only safe driving then were the people doing 100kph in left lane in heavy rain.

Last edited by david.orr; 04-13-2013 at 01:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 01:06 AM   #6
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
You wanna know what pisses me off even more than tailgaters?

You leave the appropriate gap for the speed and conditions between you and the car in front and this apparently signals to the cars in the other lane that what you're really doing is making a space for them to jump into...

AAARRRRGGHHHH!!!!

You see that gap there? I left that gap for the safety and wellbeing my myself, my passengers, and the people in the cars around me! Not so that you could cut me off, fucker!

/rant.
      04-13-2013, 01:09 AM   #7
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
PS: I get tailgated WAY more in this car than in any other car I've ever owned...

It's like everyone behind me is saying "So you've got a fast car? I can do the speed limit just as fast as you can."

And then when I get out of the way, they just sit right beside me for the next 10 kms, or move just past me and then tuck in just in front of me - in the gap I mentioned in the last post!!!

/ok so I guess now it's end rant. :P
      04-13-2013, 02:02 AM   #8
Moocow
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [9.00]
My pet hate is drivers not keeping left unless overtaking on multi lane roads.

It's a road rule that is abused everywhere and cops don't do shit about it.

In Europe, drivers are so much more aware and follow the road rules so much better than over here.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 02:16 AM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

OP - I know you are talking about back roads but I thought I would share some pics with you....

The German's strictly enforce tail gaiters laws. Over here you must have HALF your TACHO(speedo) in meters. So IF your driving at 130 kph... you must have 65 meters of safe distance.

On the autobahn the white & black marker sticks on the side of the road are spaced at 50m intervals. The space between the white dashes on the road is 9m. So its easy for an unmarked polizei car to use in car video to calculate tail gaiters - as they follow a car. '

The fines can be hundreds of euros plus points PLUS loss of your drivers lics for a few months. This is why Germans drive well. Because they KNOW big brother is watching and they will get caught.

The polizei also mount movable cameras on every autobahn bridge. They always monitor the filming cameras from a van near by. Here is a typical setup...

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  139.9 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  205.4 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  421.1 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  132.5 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  104.6 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  112.6 KB

Name:  7o.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  118.3 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  119.6 KB

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  115.3 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  123.1 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  159.3 KB

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  140.4 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  186.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 02:18 AM   #10
GJA003
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moocow View Post
My pet hate is drivers not keeping left unless overtaking on multi lane roads.

It's a road rule that is abused everywhere and cops don't do shit about it.

In Europe, drivers are so much more aware and follow the road rules so much better than over here.
^ This. I have found the quickest route to work is in the left lane. Everyone sits in the right hand lane now. 80% of the time they end up wanting to go left and make stupid judgement just to get across. That and people who drive 10kmph or more under the speed limit really bug me.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 02:47 AM   #11
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
OP - I know you are talking about back roads but I thought I would share some pics with you....

The German's strictly enforce tail gaiters laws. Over here you must have HALF your TACHO(speedo) in meters. So IF your driving at 130 kph... you must have 65 meters of safe distance.

On the autobahn the white & black marker sticks on the side of the road are spaced at 50m intervals. The space between the white dashes on the road is 9m. So its easy for an unmarked polizei car to use in car video to calculate tail gaiters - as they follow a car. '

The fines can be hundreds of euros plus points PLUS loss of your drivers lics for a few months. This is why Germans drive well. Because they KNOW big brother is watching and they will get caught.

The polizei also mount movable cameras on every autobahn bridge. They always monitor the filming cameras from a van near by. Here is a typical setup...
May be I should show this to the Queensland Government as I think this will give them the necessary revenue to put them back in surplus! Thanks Dac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa12 View Post
Agree with you Steve, re: tailgaters and leaving ample braking distance.

However 2 wrongs do not make one right.

Driving 30kms in right lane is poor form, in any weather condition at any speed.

You could have backed into the left lane and let him pass before resuming your right lane driving.

Both you and the reckless driver have forced him into the dangerous manoeuvre you have described.

There is no excuse for bad road behaviour no matter what moral ground we claim.

Using relative speeds as a measure of road behaviour is also ridiculous.

Sorry dude, the only safe driving then were the people doing 100kph in left lane in heavy rain.
Point taken.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 03:19 AM   #12
aus135i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

C'est la vie...
      04-13-2013, 04:01 AM   #13
Linwe
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 120i E87

I think the German system is really smart way Dackleone, half your tachometer is an easy way to calculate. I think the average idiot here wouldn't how to calculate the 3 second rule from the car in front...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #14
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus135i View Post
C'est la vie...
This x100. Only thing we can do is move on
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #15
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus135i View Post
C'est la vie...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA View Post
This x100. Only thing we can do is move on
Yes, the nice guys continue to suffer from people who doesn't give a shit about doing the right thing. May be I should just stop my rant and Karma will just sort them out.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

The problem in Aus Dack is cameras are used as revenue raisers over safety devices a fair bit of the time. You never see an empty fast lane like that in Aust, drivers generally in Aust have no regard for other road users and generally leads to alot of the problems discussed here.

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #17
racer_x
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: When He Has To

There are a couple of scenarios here:
1. You're driving too slow for the idiot's liking. Let him pass, problem solved.
2. You're in the right lane while not overtaking. Move left, problem solved.

Letting the ignoranus (not a spelling error) stew for 30 kms is not going to help matters.

And while I totally agree that you should drive at the pace you're comfortable with for the conditions, you have to be prepared for people who disagree with your opinion/judgement. This is why the keep left unless overtaking rule exists.

A lot of people often say "but I am driving at the speed limit" while in the right lane. Implying that no one should be passing them... Like those speed limits are sacrosanct.

Again, it's not going to kill you if you move over and let people pass. Don't force your opinion onto others.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #18
racer_x
Second Lieutenant
Rep

While I am at it...

I think tailgating is very prevalent in OZ because the weather here is so good.

We do not get as much rain, sleet, snow, fog and other adverse conditions that cause all manner of grief on the road in Europe. And so Australians have never really had to worry about the effects of following the car in front too closely.

This is then compounded by our very lax driver training and licensing laws.

What are the licensing requirements like in Germany?

I bet it's a bit more involved than driving around some back streets with an "assessor" for 10 minutes, doing a 3 point turn and performing some parallel parking maneuvers satisfactorily.

Also, as the population grows and average speeds around our cities drop because of the congestion, people drive at 70, 80, 110 kph (for the brief periods you can do that sort of speed) like they do at 40-50 kph. That is, they leave 2/3 of sweet FA in terms of gap to the car in front in the hope of not being caught at the next red light.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #19
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Don't tailgate.
Right lane is only for overtaking.
Don't undertake.
If someone merges and shortens your distance, drop back.

You can fit Germany and all it's roads into one Australian property. Different world.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #20
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_x View Post
There are a couple of scenarios here:
1. You're driving too slow for the idiot's liking. Let him pass, problem solved.
2. You're in the right lane while not overtaking. Move left, problem solved.

Letting the ignoranus (not a spelling error) stew for 30 kms is not going to help matters.

And while I totally agree that you should drive at the pace you're comfortable with for the conditions, you have to be prepared for people who disagree with your opinion/judgement. This is why the keep left unless overtaking rule exists.

A lot of people often say "but I am driving at the speed limit" while in the right lane. Implying that no one should be passing them... Like those speed limits are sacrosanct.

Again, it's not going to kill you if you move over and let people pass. Don't force your opinion onto others.
Quote:
While I am at it...

I think tailgating is very prevalent in OZ because the weather here is so good.

We do not get as much rain, sleet, snow, fog and other adverse conditions that cause all manner of grief on the road in Europe. And so Australians have never really had to worry about the effects of following the car in front too closely.

This is then compounded by our very lax driver training and licensing laws.

What are the licensing requirements like in Germany?

I bet it's a bit more involved than driving around some back streets with an "assessor" for 10 minutes, doing a 3 point turn and performing some parallel parking maneuvers satisfactorily.

Also, as the population grows and average speeds around our cities drop because of the congestion, people drive at 70, 80, 110 kph (for the brief periods you can do that sort of speed) like they do at 40-50 kph. That is, they leave 2/3 of sweet FA in terms of gap to the car in front in the hope of not being caught at the next red light.
Tailgating is dangerous and I have no problem enforcing my opinion on another. FYI, I was overtaking on the right hand lane, admittedly very slowly as there were many cars on the right hand lane also overtaking, but only at 5km above the people on the left hand lane. I am giving those slow overtakers room. The car behind me didn't. So all of a sudden if I have to stop, I will have to find a gap in the left hand lane which there aren't plenty as most drivers don't leave enough room for emergencies, otherwise the guy behind me will smash right behind me.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #21
racer_x
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Tailgating is dangerous and I have no problem enforcing my opinion on another. FYI, I was overtaking on the right hand lane, admittedly very slowly as there were many cars on the right hand lane also overtaking, but only at 5km above the people on the left hand lane. I am giving those slow overtakers room. The car behind me didn't. So all of a sudden if I have to stop, I will have to find a gap in the left hand lane which there aren't plenty as most drivers don't leave enough room for emergencies, otherwise the guy behind me will smash right behind me.
No doubt the guy was a tool. If there's heavy traffic, there's not a lot you can do.

Then again, perhaps you could have gotten out of his way a little quicker than 30ks

Last edited by racer_x; 04-14-2013 at 01:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 12:38 AM   #22
harpoon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
T

I totally agree with this. "I am doing 110 and 110 is the limit so I will not move to the left lane so people behind me can move past" I've heard this from many friends whilst freeway driving. I find this infuriating. If i want to do 140 in 110 zone, that's my own stupid fault, but don't make someone undertake you to make the point. It is so simple - get to the speed you're comfortable at, pull into the left lane. If you need to overtake, pull out then overtake and get back to the left lane. Some people seem to think once they move left they're ever allowed back into the right hand lane!

Sorry for the rant - it's a massive pet hate of mine. And to be clear I'm not having a go at you sparoz, tailgating is just as bad if not worse so that guy's a dick for sure. But right lane hogging drives me mental.