BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-10-2016, 08:50 PM   #1
i_love_cars
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6mt

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
N55 pure stg2 impressions, E50 dyno

First off, I want to thank PURE for making such a killer product. I ordered this turbo back in January and received it in February. Fitment was perfect and everything was as advertised. I can't say enough good things about this product. It delivers exactly as advertised.

To me, this turbo is a perfect solution if you want "really good" power on the street at an affordable cost. And when I say "really good" power, the benefit is in the full power band making great boost all the way to redline. You can get this turbo if you are FBO already, throw in a Fuel-It stg2 and have an amazing experience for a street car. Obviously if you want 700+ hp monsters, this is not for you.

I installed the turbo with the car on jackstands in my garage. It took me about 20 hours with no help, and I triple check everything. Similar to when you swap an engine in a car or remove one - likewise for the turbo I bagged and labeled everything, and I also made a list of what I removed as I went along so I could put everything back together in the correct order. There is a LOT of stuff you need to remove to do this turbo install.

I prepared for this turbo by putting in a Spec stg2+ clutch and MFactory SMFW last summer, and I use a wavetrac LSD.

Couple pics:

huzzah! it started and didn't explode!!

I spent a lot of time after the install tinkering with additional stuff - Fuel it stage 2, new plugs, JB4 (previously I only had a cobb), jb4 bluetooth, OCC, and other knick knacks.

I have about 5000 miles on the new turbo now and the car runs well. No issues whatsoever with the hardware. I do not run meth or port injection, so the main reason I wanted to put this post together was just to get a dyno chart out there for people who ONLY are going to run E85 mixtures.

Most of the charts I see online are for cars running meth / PI, so I'm hoping this gives people an idea of what they can run without those additives.

I am running E50 only with Terry's e85 BEF, ISO 5.10, and a custom map 6 targeting anywhere from 21 to 23 psi. I ran several logs at 21 psi from 3k-7k rpm with stable timing on all 6 cylinders running anywhere from 9-10.5 degrees of advance.

The dyno chart below is from today and the first 2 pulls were done at 21 psi. Things looked pretty smooth so I bumped the Map 6 targets to 23 psi in the midrange from 4k-5500, 22 psi at 6000, and 21 at 6500/7k. The 3rd pull was at 120 degree intake temps, so before we did the 4th I had the dyno tech spray the piping down and cool it off a bit. After spraying it down the intake temps got down to about 97 degrees for the 4th pull and I picked up 9 hp / 8 tq for a best run of 475 whp and 477 wtq. I'm sure there is a bit more that could be picked up with adjustments to Map 6, but honestly the car feels good and the logs are stable, and this is the power target I was hoping to be at for a car running only a mix of E85 for fueling. So I'm going to just leave it where it is and enjoy it. I spent a lot of time on the install, periphery parts, a couple boost leaks, and tuning was a bit wonky at first.

Now, I need to go roast some tires and enjoy the car.

06-11-2016, 02:08 AM   #2
Hit Redline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E60 M5

Awesome! I am surprised you can run E50 mix with no supplemental fueling TBI or PI. On stock turbo I am running E50 mix and I start having hpfp crashes even with stg2 LPFP.

I am doing the pure stg2 this weekend with fuel-it TBI.

Did you need to change the user adjustments on the jb4 or just leave them? I plan to use recommended settings from n54tech large turbo thread myself.

Again thanks for sharing and hope things go as smoothly for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 11:23 AM   #3
i_love_cars
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit Redline View Post
Awesome! I am surprised you can run E50 mix with no supplemental fueling TBI or PI. On stock turbo I am running E50 mix and I start having hpfp crashes even with stg2 LPFP.

I am doing the pure stg2 this weekend with fuel-it TBI.

Did you need to change the user adjustments on the jb4 or just leave them? I plan to use recommended settings from n54tech large turbo thread myself.

Again thanks for sharing and hope things go as smoothly for me.
I agree, it seems really hit or miss in regards to the ethanol mixture. I basically just kept cranking up the map 6 boost until I started hitting fuel limitations, but it definitely isn't a set formula from what other people seem to experience.

Glad to hear you are taking the plunge - the only user settings I adjusted were from that large turbo thread you referenced. Then I looked at Terry's boost map in the same thread and started adjusting my boost based off of his pattern from 2500-7000 rpm, just adapted for lower boost values because my car obviously can't run the high targets he had on his car.
      06-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #4
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Glad you're enjoying the ps2 and nice dyno. Thanks for the pictures as well. It looks like you dropped the subframe. Is that because you were doing other work or just needed the extra room?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 08:20 PM   #5
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport

Thanks for posting. I'm trying to get to that level without PI but a little scared to push it tbh. Do you happen to have jb4 logs that we can take a look at?

Last edited by loesch; 06-14-2016 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #6
i_love_cars
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Glad you're enjoying the ps2 and nice dyno. Thanks for the pictures as well. It looks like you dropped the subframe. Is that because you were doing other work or just needed the extra room?
Extra room. It is technically possible to do this install without dropping the subframe, however, it only took me about 1.5 hours to drop it and get it out of the way, and about 45 minutes to line it up properly for re-installation. I'd rather spend that 2 hours of time and have miles of extra room to work than try to deal with the turbo removal in cramped space. I feel that way even moreso now having done the install and knowing what you have to get at and the tools required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loesch View Post
Thanks for posting. I'm trying to get to that level without PI but a little scared to push it tbo. Do you happen to have jb4 logs that we can take a look at?
I have some logs indeed - attaching to this post. These have also been reviewed by Terry and confirmed safe. 1addicts won't allow CSV format upload so I renamed them to have .txt - if you download these be sure to change them to csv extension.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 2016-06-10 08_51_55.txt (51.8 KB, 198 views)
File Type: txt 21_psi (2).txt (13.0 KB, 166 views)
      06-14-2016, 01:18 PM   #7
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_cars View Post
Extra room. It is technically possible to do this install without dropping the subframe, however, it only took me about 1.5 hours to drop it and get it out of the way, and about 45 minutes to line it up properly for re-installation. I'd rather spend that 2 hours of time and have miles of extra room to work than try to deal with the turbo removal in cramped space. I feel that way even moreso now having done the install and knowing what you have to get at and the tools required.

I have some logs indeed - attaching to this post. These have also been reviewed by Terry and confirmed safe. 1addicts won't allow CSV format upload so I renamed them to have .txt - if you download these be sure to change them to csv extension.
Thanks man! It always a big help to have some reference material of safe, successful results.
2011 135i M Sport 6MT LeMans Blue | Active Autowerke Gen II axle back | Berk d******* | N54 gutted mids | FuelIt Walbro 450 fuel pump | Pure Turbos Stage 2 | 3.5bar TMAP | Pure Turbos inlet pipe | BMS intake | BMS oil catch can | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | BMS JB4 w/ ISO firmware | BMS backend flash stacked on PPK | Eibach springs | Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts | cosmetic tidbits
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 09:00 PM   #8
i_love_cars
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by loesch View Post
Thanks man! It always a big help to have some reference material of safe, successful results.
agreed. I operate on information, not hearsay. I should've included logs in my original post.

Hope it helps some.
      06-15-2016, 12:22 AM   #9
tuj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I really hate to ask this, but what does it look like running 93 octane pump gas? I guess what I'm asking is, how much in gains would a pump gas-only user see using the Pure Stage 2 turbo on the N55? Minimal?

BTW your curves look killer.
      06-15-2016, 09:13 AM   #10
i_love_cars
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuj View Post
I really hate to ask this, but what does it look like running 93 octane pump gas? I guess what I'm asking is, how much in gains would a pump gas-only user see using the Pure Stage 2 turbo on the N55? Minimal?

the data is going to be sparse there because most of the back-end flashes are targeting 17-20 psi which on a Pure stg2 is beyond the limit of what 93 octane can handle on an upgraded turbo.

Pure advised me via email when I originally talked to them about this turbo last year that you can safely run 16-17 psi with pump gas and see 420-450 depending on the dyno/day/is-your-car-a-factory-freak

I think 450 is wildly optimistic on 93 octane if you have baseline dyno charts as FBO that are in the 350 whp range. Gaining 100 hp from pure stg2 on 93 octane is unlikely.

To put it in perspective, I put down 335 hp / 380 tq with FBO and a slightly slipping stock clutch a year ago. So with a proper clutch at that time I would've expected to make about 350 whp with an n55 fbo on pump gas only. I gained 125 horsepower going to pure stg2 with e85. Figure you will lose 30-40 horsepower of that gain by running lower boost due to lack of e85.

in my opinion it is realistic to get 75 whp gain, have a fatter power band, and run that power to redline with a stg2 turbo on pump gas. To me, that's worth the money assuming you do the install yourself. I think the stock turbo is way too strung out with FBO and tune. The car is happier when it runs more efficiently.
      06-15-2016, 11:42 AM   #11
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuj View Post

I ran 93 with mine when I first installed it. This was with the BMS backend flash. I ran 16psi to red line. It felt very similar in power to my car FBO on E60 with the Pure Stage 1, except even more linear acceleration. Maybe less torque since i was flat 16psi across the board. I didn't get it dyno'ed though. I'd have to guess around 385-410whp?
2011 135i M Sport 6MT LeMans Blue | Active Autowerke Gen II axle back | Berk d******* | N54 gutted mids | FuelIt Walbro 450 fuel pump | Pure Turbos Stage 2 | 3.5bar TMAP | Pure Turbos inlet pipe | BMS intake | BMS oil catch can | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | BMS JB4 w/ ISO firmware | BMS backend flash stacked on PPK | Eibach springs | Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts | cosmetic tidbits
Appreciate 0