BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-16-2007, 09:53 AM   #89
240M3SRT
***** badass
Rep
Drives:

Do 335's also use the n54 engine? And if so are they MAP or MAF?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 11:16 AM   #90
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240M3SRT View Post
Do 335's also use the n54 engine? And if so are they MAP or MAF?
did you take the time to read the thread before asking?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 11:41 AM   #91
240M3SRT
***** badass
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
did you take the time to read the thread before asking?
Actually yes i read the whole thing. But im at work so im reading kinda fast and may have missed something. I see a lot of post from people speculating w/o facts. I was just hopeing someone could confirm.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #92
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Work? what's that :wink:
...The 135 and 335 power plants are the same N54 with MAP
The stickie thread at the top is a good read.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 12:56 PM   #93
240M3SRT
***** badass
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Work? what's that :wink:
...The 135 and 335 power plants are the same N54 with MAP
The stickie thread at the top is a good read.
Nice reading. Im used to Hondas and their MAP system, consisting of a map sensor and temp sensor. Appearantly the N54 uses a HFM, which im not very familiar with.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #94
Sperm
Rep
Drives: 2002 Impreza WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech2 View Post
[and since it sounds like you have half a clue at least, you'll know that running rich can cause trouble down the line.

Now, I don't know if BMW's twin-turbo engine uses BPVs or atmospheric BOVs, but I highly (no, make that VERY highly) suggest that you check it out before you "slap on" your HKS.
I dont have a hafe A clue? Well i have already installed 2 Ultimate Racing HKS Super Sequential Blow Off Valve Kits on 335i coupe and sedan. It seems like you dont know shit, your talking to someone who has real life experiance son as far as running rich i can go on forever how this does not apply to what a BOV does read up slick pay attention :Without a blow off valve, when you let off of the gas, the compressed air in your intake piping increases to great pressures as the turbines in the turbocharger are forced to a screeching hault. The extreme pressure forces the air back through the turbocharger, increasing the wear on the turbo. With a blow off valve, when you let off of the gas the air pressure left in your intake piping is relieved as the blow off valve opens up. This allows your turbo to continue spinning in the proper direction, preventing damage to the turbo and allowing for a faster return to positive air pressure in the intake piping.

Please be advised after 5 twin turbo vehicles 3 single turbo cars and one reaching almost 1000whp on my last supra I do know what im talking about.................:wink:

M-TWINS TURBO[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinazzurro View Post
It's like the N00b forum in NASIOC all over again. :frown:

For some reason, when people unfamiliar with forced induction get a hold of a turbo car, they become BOV-obsessed. Is the Psssshhhhht sound that big of a deal for people? I just don't get it.
Yeah. It's like deja-vu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidiansti View Post
Wow, you are not smart! You didn't even understand what he said.

The point being made is that the car has a BPV (bypass valve) that removes the charged air already. Putting a BOV on will have zero positive effect.
What's up obsidian!? *Subaru wave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvtecEM View Post
And no a N54 does not have a DV it has a BPV (bypass valve) ..
Same shit. Really.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #95
S4 Driver
Rep
Drives:

Wow there is a lot of miss information and half information in here. First, some of you need to calm down. I'm sure there are people here who have never owned a turbo car so they may ask dumb questions, but don't bite their head off for it.

OK, first I have owned a 02 WRX, 04 STi and now a 01 Audi S4 so I have some turbo knowledge and I would like to clear this up for all.

First a bov and a dv/bpv (dv and bpv are the same thing) do they same function, relieving excess boost pressure when the throttle plate is closed, but they go about it in two different ways. A bov vents the air to the atmosphere and thus giving you the sound. Some like the sound, some don't, its all personal preference. A dv/bpv vents the air back into the intake.

The N54 has dv's because they are quieter and BMW makes luxury cars. But, because the system is a map system you could add a bov if you wanted without damaging the motor. You would only gain a cool or lame (depending on your opinion) sound on a N54 with stock turbos. The shot glass turbos on the N54 are too small to create enough pressure to over power the dv's and thus justify replacement. Should you upgrade the turbos or the stock dv's are pieces of junk (like they are on my Audi) then new dv's or a bov would be something to consider.

As far as someone wondering when a bov has blown a motor just look at the 02-03 WRX. People have blown their turbos by putting a bov on a stock 02-03 WRX. Those years WRX had a pre-turbo cat (a very dumb idea that they stopped doing in the 04 model year) and like all Subarus runs a maf system. A bov on a maf system will cause a temporary rich condition every time you shift. What happens in the extra fuel from running rich burns up in the pre-turbo cat eventually destroying it and sending little chunks on cat into the turbo and thus no more turbo.

I hope this clears things up and can we all play nice. Not everyone has the same idea of what their car should be so don't hate on people who want to do something you don't like. If we all did the same thing the automotive would would be rather boring.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 03:44 PM   #96
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4 Driver View Post

As far as someone wondering when a bov has blown a motor just look at the 02-03 WRX. People have blown their turbos by putting a bov on a stock 02-03 WRX. Those years WRX had a pre-turbo cat (a very dumb idea that they stopped doing in the 04 model year) and like all Subarus runs a maf system. A bov on a maf system will cause a temporary rich condition every time you shift. What happens in the extra fuel from running rich burns up in the pre-turbo cat eventually destroying it and sending little chunks on cat into the turbo and thus no more turbo.
What you said is correct except for the pre-cat being discontinued for the 04 model year. The regular WRX had a pre-cat in 04 (definitely) and 05 as well. :redface:
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 03:59 PM   #97
S4 Driver
Rep
Drives:

You are right. I forgot it wasn't until 06 and the 2.5L block in the regular WRX that they got rid of the pre-turbo cat.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 04:01 PM   #98
Madjack
Private
Rep
Drives:

The '04 + STi did not have the pre-turbo cat. That is probably what you are remembering.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 01:04 AM   #99
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslik1 View Post
This is my first post here so please bear with me. :smile: I own a modded turbo car ('98 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GS-T) and have messed with the plumbing quite a bit. I feel pretty confident I can answer some questions and clear up a few misconceptions.

First off, the terms Blow-off Valve (BOV) and Diverter Valve (DV) are interchangeable and describe the same thing. They both serve the same purpose: They relieve the pressure spike caused when the throttle plate closes (for example - lifting the throttle between shifts) in order to prevent that spike from causing compressor surge which can shorten the life of or wreck the turbocharger. They can either dump this air back into the intake or directly to atmosphere depending on the particular application. They can also be located either before or after the MAF/MAP/MAS. In my case, the BOV is located after the MAS, so if I dump it to atmosphere then less air than accounted for reaches the cylinders and I run rich. If the BOV/DV is located before air flow is measured...I believe that's the case with the x35i's...then it can usually be dumped to atmosphere because the metering system will see that and compensate. I can't really address the noise issue...my BOV dumps back to the intake and it's still noisy because of intake mods (mostly hardpipe). It's safe to say that a lot of turbo cars have noisy BOV's simply as an aftereffect of true performance mods and aren't intentionally "tuned for sound". However some are and they're usually pretty easy to spot...

A BOV/DV can also help control boost under load if it lifts at a low enough pressure. The BMW stock BOV's may do this; note that I still have a lot to learn about their system. Most aftermarket valves hold such a high pressure (with no vacuum assist) that they are of no practical help with boost control. With the stock turbos this shouldn't be an issue.

The wastegate is the component that is specifically designed to control boost pressure under load by diverting exhaust flow from the turbine, hence controlling compressor speed. In my case, the wastegate is closed until boost pressure reaches 18 lbs, then it begins to open (I have it directly controlled by compressor pressure through a manual boost control valve that bypasses ECU control). If you ever hear the term "boost creep", it describes a condition where the wastegate cannot dump enough exhaust gas when fully open to prevent the compressor from speeding up, hence boost pressure "creeps" up. This is usually an aftereffect of mods that remove restriction from the exhaust path.

I hope this is useful. As I said, I have much to learn about BMW's approach to turbocharging and I look forward to getting some good info here. I plan to be the proud owner of a 135i by the middle of next year!
:roundel:

Well Done!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2007, 11:32 PM   #100
AW09M3
1addict, and proud
Rep
Drives: M3

All what Theslik1 is true. Especially the part about personal preference.

In my current car, A4 1.8T, I have a GFB Hybrid BOV. A4's use a MAF, however the Hybrid BOV has not caused me any problems thus far and my A/F ratios are fine.

My opinion, get it if you want it, don't if you hate it. And if you're worried about the "woooosh" becoming annoying, I don't even notice when I blow off now, it's kind of second nature! You can tune it out after while I suppose.

Although, I'll never forget this one time I was driving back to campus and blew-off at peak boost while a woman was walking on the sidewalk. She screamed so loud! :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #101
HighFlyingIL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinazzurro View Post
Yeah, when he was active in the Subaru community, he was a very nice guy as well... but then it seemed like he turned his back on us as soon as the next platform came out.
lmao I wonder why... subaru has no potential besides dirt roads, and ever since they came over to the states the next year it got uglier...and uglier...then fuglier and now its about as pretty as a cracked out slut with shit in her mouth...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 06:18 PM   #102
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Don't be a ricer.
+1
      09-10-2007, 06:17 PM   #103
HighFlyingIL
Rep
Drives:

i'd buy a BOV... if I strapped a bigger turbo(s) on the car and was making power actually worth replacing the stock diverters for them...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #104
Electric
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 Competition

I would only swap the blow off valve if there were a performance gain from doing so. Like if the stock BOV holds stock boost but not higher boost that comes along with a Procede. Then it would be a good idea to change it. Otherwise, I think changing for noise is quite ricey. Makes me think of SRT4s and Hondas.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #105
HighFlyingIL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Makes me think of SRT4s and Hondas.
I had an srt-4...but I had a TiAL 50mm bov and GT3076R making 500+whp...but I kept the stock air diverter on until that time....cuz your right...it is quite ricey
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 12:09 PM   #106
tenxaday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

DV is what i would do
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 05:15 PM   #107
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

Dont forget to tape a duck-call to the end of the damn thing.
      09-29-2007, 09:28 PM   #108
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingIL View Post
lmao I wonder why... subaru has no potential besides dirt roads, and ever since they came over to the states the next year it got uglier...and uglier...then fuglier and now its about as pretty as a cracked out slut with shit in her mouth...
If you think that subaru has no potential other than on dirt roads, then you are just an ignorant fool. And as far as appearances goes, it's all personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 02:08 AM   #109
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingIL View Post
I had an srt-4 making 500+whp
Torque steer FTMFW!! Highway monster?:biggrin:

I agree with the ignorant(minus fool) comment about subies. Thats just platform hatred. Did you get smoked outa the hole by a suby?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 08:35 AM   #110
HighFlyingIL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zba857 View Post
Torque steer FTMFW!! Highway monster?:biggrin:

I agree with the ignorant(minus fool) comment about subies. Thats just platform hatred. Did you get smoked outa the hole by a suby?
no I have 2 friends that happen to be in love with subaru's... and my buddys 05 ford focus boosted bet the holy hell out of one of my friends subie with quite a few aftermarket parts... and for the amount of $$$ you spend on a subie, plus aftermarket parts vs. my friends focus with about $4,000 into it... it was an obvious answer on why I dont like drivetrain loss... Sure they have potential...if you dump billions of dollars into it... I seriously do not like subies at all...
Appreciate 0