BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Wide Arching & Car Resale

Hi all.

So I'm at the point where I think "what could replace my car, or top it, that is around the same (-ish) age & value or for little extra outlay?". The answer seems to be either nothing or a Porsche 996 Turbo which has a hideously dated interior. So with this in mind, possible handling mods to make it surpass an M3 and a potential 400+bhp available at the wheels with FBO it looks like a car that is going to be a performance monster and a lot of fun for some years to come much like the B5 RS4. I believe it's worth keeping for a while certainly until I can justify a bigger outlay on something yet more serious. New N55 motors just don't interest me due to lesser performance potential.

I don't plan on keeping the car for an age but it'd be nice to put my mark on it and I love the wide arched look some of you have gone for; I'd be looking at 1M arches moulded into M-Sport front bumper and fab'd rear arches moulded into M-Sport rear bumper. This car is not a 1M so I don't wish to make it look so.

This makes me wonder, what do you guys with extensive body mods such as cut and flared rear arches plan to do come sale of your car or did you go this extreme because you will be running your car for a very long time? Body mods like that surely means BMW are no longer interested so, is there a good private used car market for things like this or do you think that it will hit the car's value hard?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Unfortunately, there is no easy way to put wider rear fenders on a 135i. The existing panels run continuous over the roof to the hood. If you can find a wide body kit for the rear it will probably be very expensive or poorly made. 1M panels might fit, but, again, expensive. At some point you will have to see if it would just be easier/better to buy a used 1M. Customizing a 135i is definitely burning money. You will NOT get that investment back from the next buyer unless it's a friend. Anytime I see a modded car for sale my first concern is "abused powertrain" and that will always deduct from the value.
      01-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
Jmanscotch
is a Texan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i - 6MT SOLD

Going such a route will dramatically cut down your potential buyers. Even those left interested will have some reservations about quality of work and be shy. IF you can get a reputable job down ($$) then there will always be someone who'd appreciate it and buy it for a fair price....but that might take time to find that fellow. It's a gamble with odds against ya.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

WestCoast Customs i think is what you need.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I like to sit around and think about future car purchases, etc so I understand your post.

I have a basic Porsche and I had a Corvette. Great performance cars, way better on a track than our car, but you can't cheaply mod them and make them a sleeping monster. I Porsche Turbo or a Nissan GTR would be high end version of what we like to do but for me they'd be out of my budget or if I could afford one I definitely couldn't afford to daily drive it. A Toyota Supra is an outstanding modding platform but fairly outdated and again, not really very appropriate for daily driving.

That's why I'm sticking with my One. I'd rather have a 1M but that wasn't an option 4 yrs ago. Actually what I'd like to have is an N54 engine in a Z4 Coupe body..I wonder how difficult that would be to do?
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
I like to sit around and think about future car purchases, etc so I understand your post.

I have a basic Porsche and I had a Corvette. Great performance cars, way better on a track than our car, but you can't cheaply mod them and make them a sleeping monster. I Porsche Turbo or a Nissan GTR would be high end version of what we like to do but for me they'd be out of my budget or if I could afford one I definitely couldn't afford to daily drive it. A Toyota Supra is an outstanding modding platform but fairly outdated and again, not really very appropriate for daily driving.

That's why I'm sticking with my One. I'd rather have a 1M but that wasn't an option 4 yrs ago. Actually what I'd like to have is an N54 engine in a Z4 Coupe body..I wonder how difficult that would be to do?
Well to the last point, there is the z4drive35is which has the 1M engine in it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJay View Post
Hi all.

So I'm at the point where I think "what could replace my car, or top it, that is around the same (-ish) age & value or for little extra outlay?". The answer seems to be either nothing or a Porsche 996 Turbo which has a hideously dated interior. So with this in mind, possible handling mods to make it surpass an M3 and a potential 400+bhp available at the wheels with FBO it looks like a car that is going to be a performance monster and a lot of fun for some years to come much like the B5 RS4. I believe it's worth keeping for a while certainly until I can justify a bigger outlay on something yet more serious. New N55 motors just don't interest me due to lesser performance potential.

I don't plan on keeping the car for an age but it'd be nice to put my mark on it and I love the wide arched look some of you have gone for; I'd be looking at 1M arches moulded into M-Sport front bumper and fab'd rear arches moulded into M-Sport rear bumper. This car is not a 1M so I don't wish to make it look so.

This makes me wonder, what do you guys with extensive body mods such as cut and flared rear arches plan to do come sale of your car or did you go this extreme because you will be running your car for a very long time? Body mods like that surely means BMW are no longer interested so, is there a good private used car market for things like this or do you think that it will hit the car's value hard?
I'll let you know in 2-3 maybe even 4 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
this will lessen your resale for sure.

I am in the process of widening my car, as is Venom, but we are not doing so with the mindset that our cars are investments and it will make them worth more. Generally modifying any car in any way will slightly hurt your resale value.

I am widening my car mostly to transform the way it drives and partially because it allows better wheel offsets that make the car look way better. My car will not be a 1M and will never have an M badge on the trunk.

For the people who say " Its cheaper just to buy a real 1M", that isn't true for most people. My car was already fully modded before the 1M's came out and sold out. The cost of parting my car, selling the vehicle and purchasing the 1M would net me at about $25-30k difference. That is selling my car and adding $25-30k on top of it to get a very similar car. The 1M conversion is costing me $6k excluding wheels and my choice of exhaust.

If you plan on keeping the car, have the funds and really love your 1series, I say go for it. Also, I would not discredit the 996 turbo. The interior is actually pretty good for 8-11 year old car and with a flash they can be absolute beasts (not that they arnt out of the box.)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
this will lessen your resale for sure.

I am in the process of widening my car, as is Venom, but we are not doing so with the mindset that our cars are investments and it will make them worth more. Generally modifying any car in any way will slightly hurt your resale value.

I am widening my car mostly to transform the way it drives and partially because it allows better wheel offsets that make the car look way better. My car will not be a 1M and will never have an M badge on the trunk.

For the people who say " Its cheaper just to buy a real 1M", that isn't true for most people. My car was already fully modded before the 1M's came out and sold out. The cost of parting my car, selling the vehicle and purchasing the 1M would net me at about $25-30k difference. That is selling my car and adding $25-30k on top of it to get a very similar car. The 1M conversion is costing me $6k excluding wheels and my choice of exhaust.

If you plan on keeping the car, have the funds and really love your 1series, I say go for it. Also, I would not discredit the 996 turbo. The interior is actually pretty good for 8-11 year old car and with a flash they can be absolute beasts (not that they arnt out of the box.)
+1 Bingo

As my fellow 1addict said above, it's not for resale purposes. It will likely hurt it.

My reason for performing the transformation is slightly different: I didn't have a chance to get a 1M so I went for a 135i instead. I found an amazing used sample and never looked back. The car cost me 24k. Then I got rear ended recently(ironically I had been calculating the cost of going true 1M quad tips at the time and had earmarked funds if I was to pursue it in the summer of 2013). That collision actually mitigated a ton of the cost of this whole project for me. The major costs that I am actually paying for is maybe 2 or 3 of the list of 25 parts we needed for the modification and paint and the flaring. I will have a build thread up hopefully next month for others who see fit to do this modification so I don't want to ruin all the surprises just yet(I will have to convene with ilikebmxbikes first to confirm if he wants to do his own too or share one thread).
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Venom, the new Z4 as you know is a hardtop convertible and way heavier than our cars. I also like unique looking cars, it's pretty rare to see one of the prior model Z4 Coupes, I guess maybe half of them are M's.

If your rear end collision extended into your roof maybe you can convert to a true CF roof without a sunroof. Our cars are too tall and top heavy.

I look forward to your build thread!
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
Venom, the new Z4 as you know is a hardtop convertible and way heavier than our cars. I also like unique looking cars, it's pretty rare to see one of the prior model Z4 Coupes, I guess maybe half of them are M's.

If your rear end collision extended into your roof maybe you can convert to a true CF roof without a sunroof. Our cars are too tall and top heavy.

I look forward to your build thread!
Thanks buddy! There seems to be a new setback every week so maybe early February I will have the build thread up. I do have to say that ilikebmxbikes deserves a lot of credit for all his help. The damage didn't extend to the roof, it was rear and quarter panel only. I'll have some pics up from the accident once the insurance claim is done. I doubt I'll be going cf roof route unless something falls on my car LOL

Last edited by Venom; 01-13-2013 at 01:20 AM..
Appreciate 0