BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #23
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
although ive no right to give my opinion only having the lowly 135 i say the tune and tint...ur suspension is pretty good already
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #24
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
need moar money lol
if you need tyre change soon the PSS are awesome yes!
and COBB is awesome too!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #25
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Having owned ps2, pss and real extreme summers in the form of re11, I find it hard to believe that most of you think pss is that big of an upgrade over ps2, specifically for street driving. Not to mention the "upgrade" of a BMW performance steering wheel over an fmic or the like.

An fmic will control temps and help the car run smoother in all conditions. The benefits of a tune are self explanatory.

Members here like to bash tunes, and if the 1m power is fun enough for you in stock form, don't change it. But for many, more tq and power throughout the rev band is more fun, and a tune will provide a huge bang for the buck. That said, I would not run a tune without fmic.

And I would choose cobb because it allows you to datalog to tell exactly how your car is responding to the tune, and you can either e tune Or protune to make the corrections to ensure your car is running perfectly with optimal parameters so there is no timing corrections. Giac cannot do this, and I am convinced that a properly tuned car using an e tune or pro tune is easily equal and likely superior to giac ots maps. You cannot beat a pro tune.

Hope this helps.
I doubt there is any better street tire than PSS over there. And OP mentioned them himself so maybe your experience is different from most of us because the way you used tires were different, who knows.

Now: When you (or I, or anyone) give advice to someone who asks for it you need to emphatize a bit and think about what he needs, who he is other than just saying "this is it!". My advices for instance are always conditional, I take into account his budget, his intention to stay as stock as possible and not track or race his car and I remember his previous posts, maybe I think I know a few things about him etc. I believe "for him" best he can benefit all of the time when he drives his actually 100% stock car is a) tires b) a cheap and efficient way to cure the exhaust c) a bit of a color and special feeling inside the car (hence the perfect Performance wheel which substitutes a big donut thick stock unit).

If he did say anything like a bit more power would be welcome I would say other things or just stay quiet. He didn't.

And as you yourself point out there is no meaning to have a good tune but stay with stock IC. Well add that the air filter or maybe intake too, and definitely add charge pipe since you will need it soon! Then shall we stay with fully stock exhaust with a tune? Is it logical at all to have more hp/tq and stay with stock PS2? The question is where we stop and what is our budget already?

So, there are no right or wrong answers which are universal to everyone there are only conditions of different people.

I hope we can agree on this as a simple principal and OP can take his own decisions after listening to all of us since he sure is a big boy and don't need to hear anything other than our personal voices. It is not a contest just a forum inwhich a bunch of guys with not too much things to do at work this particular day (thankfully) but have a few common points like the car we own, share lighthearted thoughts. At least it's the way I see it.

Cheers.

Oz
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #26
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

My point was that I do not beleice pss is a large upgrade over ps2. If he needs new tires, sure, pss is a solid choice. But if his tires are good, no reason to swap to pss

Also, he mentioned tune / fmic in his orignal post. That's why I brought it up.

Finally, I've done all those mods. The fmic / tune (no need for exhaust mods which don't make any real power except dp) is the biggest bang for the buck with very limited to no negatives. Also, they can be removed or sold easily at any time (if cobb is chosen)

A tune / fmic is closer to 1500 dollars and will net huge gains. As far as grip within this setup goes, it's fine as long as you don't turn tc off and goose it in first gear. The extra midrange and top end is noticeable and a lot if fun on the street and track IMO.

I have kw v3 and plan to upgrade to Ohlins. The kw are good, but do have detriments compared to stock. I'd either stay stock or go big with something like Ohlins.

IMO based on my experiences.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #27
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

In my experience the car already struggles for rear end grip through the first two or three gears on stock power. Adding to that power, especially in the lower end of the RPM range as tunes on turbo charged cards tend to do, will only exasperate the rear end grip problems. Thus my suggestion of tires first, especially wider rear tires, will help get the power to the ground be it stock or aftermarket you're only as good as the friction between the tires and the pavement.

In fairness though, this will change the behavior of the car. Some people like the ability to easily break away the rear tires and slide the car around going wider and sticker may reduce that "fun" factor of the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #28
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

Quote:
Finally, I've done all those mods. The fmic / tune (no need for exhaust mods which don't make any real power except dp) is the biggest bang for the buck with very limited to no negatives. Also, they can be removed or sold easily at any time (if cobb is chosen)

A tune / fmic is closer to 1500 dollars and will net huge gains. As far as grip within this setup goes, it's fine as long as you don't turn tc off and goose it in first gear. The extra midrange and top end is noticeable and a lot if fun on the street and track IMO.

How is your return policy? JK

I agree though, tires were my favorite upgrade, but I did it as mine wore out, went very oversized, and needed it due to running a tune since the moment I got the car back from its break in service.

I think for most applications the stock FMIC is fine, short street pulls with a tune and even winter track days, but it is a weak point. It poses warranty problems though as given a faliure, you can't just pop it off in an hour(not a ton more if a direct fit model) and play dumb and if I was throwing any hope of a warranty to the wind, my order changes to(assuming new tires aren't needed and you're going stock sizing) tune, DP's(a huge and great mod for the money, with a tune or without), and then pick one fmic/tires/mids/steering wheel.
      04-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #29
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Well, with due respect to some other posters here I strongly believe that tires are single most important aspect of what you get from a car, any car but especially from our 1M, both in safety or in performance and fun. So if you have stayed completely stock this long and will not do anything else for some more time as I understand from your post, I advice you change your tires (PSS are excellent) first and stick with stock sizes. I can't think of anything else which will transform your car to something better in virtually everything you will do at all times with zero downsides.

I would vote for a good exhaust or at least a catless mid pipe as the second most important and obvious upgrade for 1M.

Moreover, I strongly advice "against" going for an engine tune and other power related mods without also changing the stock tires. More power may be fun but I am not a fan of distributing those hp in the air through burning rubber.

Just my 2c.
Again. Agree 100%.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #30
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Tune, FMIC, mid pipe...get tires when you need them.
      04-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #31
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
Tune, FMIC, mid pipe...get tires when you need them.
this....that tune and midpipe will help you need them sooner
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #32
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
My point was that I do not beleice pss is a large upgrade over ps2. If he needs new tires, sure, pss is a solid choice. But if his tires are good, no reason to swap to pss

Also, he mentioned tune / fmic in his orignal post. That's why I brought it up.

I have kw v3 and plan to upgrade to Ohlins. The kw are good, but do have detriments compared to stock. I'd either stay stock or go big with something like Ohlins.

Yeah...what he said
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #33
Jrsred10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Upgrade tires when you need them. Especially if its an all street car. The forge intercooler could be removed in around an hour or less with a lift and its hard to see how anyone could prove that it voided your warranty. A tune may be more detrimental to your warranty but the Accessport may be less so (being that you can quickly un-marry it) and prob the most fun of an upgrade you can make happen for your money.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #34
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Thanks for the all comments guys, really appreciate it.

At the moment, my budget is around $2K so I have to be a bit picky on what I spend it on...chances are I might not have much more to spend on the car until the following summer.

My car at the moment only has 6500 miles on it, so it's safe to say the tires are relatively new and un-abused. Having said that, it probably wouldn't make much sense to drop $1500 or so on a new set of PSS, but considering it's regarded by most of you as the 1st thing to improve the character and enjoyment of the car, I could potentially sell the Pilot PS2's in their current condition to offset some of the expense of the new tires. What do you think?

The tune is 2nd thing I was thinking about...and most of you seem to lean towards the Cobb tune with it's flexibility and user friendliness. Of course, being able to take it into the dealer without any warranty issues is a plus as well.

I thought about the mid-pipe, down-pipe upgrades but right now I don't know if that's what I want to do. Perhaps if I decide to keep the car in the long run I can invest in those things including a full-blown exhaust system (akrapovic, eisenmann, etc).
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #35
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
Thanks for the all comments guys, really appreciate it.

At the moment, my budget is around $2K so I have to be a bit picky on what I spend it on...chances are I might not have much more to spend on the car until the following summer.

My car at the moment only has 6500 miles on it, so it's safe to say the tires are relatively new and un-abused. Having said that, it probably wouldn't make much sense to drop $1500 or so on a new set of PSS, but considering it's regarded by most of you as the 1st thing to improve the character and enjoyment of the car, I could potentially sell the Pilot PS2's in their current condition to offset some of the expense of the new tires. What do you think?

The tune is 2nd thing I was thinking about...and most of you seem to lean towards the Cobb tune with it's flexibility and user friendliness. Of course, being able to take it into the dealer without any warranty issues is a plus as well.

I thought about the mid-pipe, down-pipe upgrades but right now I don't know if that's what I want to do. Perhaps if I decide to keep the car in the long run I can invest in those things including a full-blown exhaust system (akrapovic, eisenmann, etc).
Just for your information, a set of PSS by tire rack costs 1090 USD. Check the link in one of my above posts. And if you can sell your actual set for around 400 or more, it will make quite a deal.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #36
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Just for your information, a set of PSS by tire rack costs 1090 USD. Check the link in one of my above posts. And if you can sell your actual set for around 400 or more, it will make quite a deal.
Yep, I checked Tire rack, but after shipping cost, tax, and cost to install+balance new wheels/tires...you're looking at around $1500.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #37
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
Yep, I checked Tire rack, but after shipping cost, tax, and cost to install+balance new wheels/tires...you're looking at around $1500.
I'm not sure about Canada, but I'm always able to get local tire retailers to match Tire Rack's shipped price in lieu of sales tax to make the sale. You're going to pay mount, balance, and disposal but the delta is never 4 to 500 dollars.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #38
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

I would use the 2k towards a Two Day M School or other driving school. I believe that this will give you the most bang for the buck.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #39
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
I would use the 2k towards a Two Day M School or other driving school. I believe that this will give you the most bang for the buck.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #40
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #41
ace11
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1M - A1 quattro - S3

despite the fact that tires on this car are an awesome upgrade, if i were you id go for the coilovers.
seeing that you wont do any track days and that the tires only have 6k miles on them and that with a 1M you really have enough power in most situations, id invest on looks - KW3s or a Bilstein set.
      04-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #42
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

it depends is what do you need. tracking - coilovers, but you also will need tires, you can get cheaper ones, because PSS is not for track. if you want you car to be better in daily drive, you can go with flash+fmic.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #43
octainejunkee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 f80 Comp, MPE, stage 1

Ive been asked this question by a few fellow 1M owners now,
My current spec is,

Spec R hard pipe & intercooler kit,
Evolve cat less down pipes, ceramic coated,
N54 mid pipe,
Carbotec brake pads & HEL brake lines with ap racing fluid,
295/30,19 pss rears 255/30/19 front tires,
Ray West custom ecu re map
Ray West fast road geometry set up,

The mods i would recommend doing first are also the cheapest,

Fast road geometry set up by a race team/tuner.
Carbotec xp10 race pads & braided brake lines, - a must for track days!
Spec R or any turbo hard pipe as it WILL fail at some point defo if tracked.
BMW n54 mid pipe- better throttle response and slight increase in power.

I would say the brakes and geo tweeks are a must for track days.
The tires i have are much more grippy but provide less feel than the standard size.
I also have a set of e90 M3 18" alloys shod with used porsche race slicks which all together cost me less than my road tires and aremuch better for track work.

Our cars are such a great platform that i would say more power isnt important or much of an improvement until the above mods have already been utilised/mastered and enjoyed.

Hope that helps??

cheers jamie

QUOTE=arvinz;13877064]I got a little bit of cash to play with for some upgrades, would like your opinions on which would be best to do:

1. Upgraded tires to Micheline PSS

OR

2. Suntek CXP tints + GIAC tune

OR

3. KW3 Coilovers

My car is completely stock, and I don't plan on tracking it anytime soon. If you have any other suggestions on how to spend 2K on the 1M let me know![/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #44
octainejunkee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 f80 Comp, MPE, stage 1

oh for the record- i havent been able to get much over 3000miles out of a set of rear tires yet.. so well done on 6000

Last edited by octainejunkee; 04-29-2013 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0