BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-21-2011, 01:23 AM   #23
91Kevin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 2011 Subaru STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
I do neither.. I drive my car as a daily driver, sometimes I kick its ass a bit, but no I dont go to a track and annihilate my tires or drag race. I find that kinda stuff's either for kids or professionals who do it for a living
Its for enthusiasts, people who want to drive their car to it's potential safely (HPDEs are your friend). I do not race on the street in any way, and driving on track is not for children. Your credibility is dropping like a rock right now.

"Kicking its ass a bit" I assume means you are probably driving in a way that is not safe for others on the road. That is for children.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 01:24 AM   #24
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
should be 18x8.5 et 35 18x9.5 et33?
      08-21-2011, 01:26 AM   #25
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 01:27 AM   #26
91Kevin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
you and me both.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 01:28 AM   #27
91Kevin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang View Post
should be 18x8.5 et 35 18x9.5 et33?
no guize shud be herra frunctional!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 01:35 AM   #28
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kevin View Post
I'm implying that if you were so into functionality, you should take it to a track. You will get more out of the car and have a MUCH better time putting it to use if you had a 6 speed.

Buy a jack, its fun stuff. If you can't manage to install a spacer or change wheels, that's worse than just not being proficient in working on cars, thats just a basic thing you should know as a driver.
K well i didnt drop this thread so you could criticize me on my supposed severe lack of everyday knowledge and poor choice of transmissions. I posted for general comments and FRIENDLY tips. If you feel you cant be a man without driving a MT and doing all your car work yourself, then congrats on having an opinion.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 01:48 AM   #29
91Kevin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Dude I didn't question your manhood at all, I'm just saying if you want to get the most out of your car, there are better ways to do it. Honest opinions here:

Lose the lug bolt caps
APEX ARC-8s
Suspension bits

You can still run HPDE's and learn a lot more about your car with an automatic, its just more fun in my opinion with an H pattern manual. Do you want to be a better driver? Participate in an HPDE (High Performance Driving Event). No need to get your feelings hurt over some criticism, I didn't call you any names.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 02:03 AM   #30
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Dude I didn't question your manhood at all, I'm just saying if you want to get the most out of your car, there are better ways to do it. Honest opinions here:

Lose the lug bolt caps
APEX ARC-8s
Suspension bits

You can still run HPDE's and learn a lot more about your car with an automatic, its just more fun in my opinion with an H pattern manual. Do you want to be a better driver? Participate in an HPDE (High Performance Driving Event). No need to get your feelings hurt over some criticism, I didn't call you any names.
Minus the last part, that's all you had to say in the first place. Your last 6-7 posts of assumptions, etc. were just not necessary.

In regards to your honest opinions, I do feel the same way bout the caps, when i bought them I thought theyd be closer to the wheels color but their not, that and the bolt holes are not as deep as I was expecting hence the caps "sticking out" some. So yea theyre likely to come off.

The ARCs are nice wheels, yes theyre lighter which is good but I just didnt like them for my car, so I chose the 701's. I know theyre heavier and not flow formed but they fit the car perfectly and they look great, which i would think is likely the reason for why most people choose whichever wheels for their car. Its all about personal opinion.

Heh, i like how i JUST posted this thread and theirs already almost 30 replies, most of which are just attacks towards my choice of wheel.. ah well
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 02:06 AM   #31
91Kevin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Fitment is completely subjective, there is no formula for the perfect fit wheel. In my opinion, the VMRs do not fit perfectly, and they look awkward on your car.

My last posts were necessary because well, I wanted to post them.

Anyway, its your car, do what you want, but as far as the functionality part goes, you have made compromises of functionality for what you think looks good. Same thing I did with the SSRs. That means stop talking about functionality.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 02:24 AM   #32
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Fitment is completely subjective, there is no formula for the perfect fit wheel. In my opinion, the VMRs do not fit perfectly, and they look awkward on your car.

My last posts were necessary because well, I wanted to post them.

Anyway, its your car, do what you want, but as far as the functionality part goes, you have made compromises of functionality for what you think looks good. Same thing I did with the SSRs. That means stop talking about functionality.
???

Something about your opinion and lame posts being necessary because you said so?

Dude I think youve made your point, you dont like them or me, theyre not yours so lets move on?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 02:31 AM   #33
91Kevin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My first 2-3 posts were obviously troll/not serious posts, but then I started trying to help by giving my experiences with tire sizes on track and everything thinking you were looking for a functional track setup.

Then you said that tracking is for children and people who do it for a living, so I gave up.

Have fun kicking its ass on the street, good luck not getting any tickets.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 02:43 AM   #34
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
My first 2-3 posts were obviously troll/not serious posts, but then I started trying to help by giving my experiences with tire sizes on track and everything thinking you were looking for a functional track setup.

Then you said that tracking is for children and people who do it for a living, so I gave up.

Have fun kicking its ass on the street, good luck not getting any tickets.
Sorry you misunderstood, you mentioned "racing", that is what I felt was childish. I know very well that driving on a track is perfectly fine and why most do it, no need to tell me. Its just not something I feel the need for, im not a race car driver nor do i have the money to pay for track use and the much faster tire wear. I drive my car to work and wherever else I need to go much like the average joe, yet I like modding and having a car thats unique to me hence what Ive done to it so far as well as the several cars I owned before the 1er. "Kicking its ass" referring to my car was simply me saying sometimes on backroads n such (of which there are plenty around here) I kick it up a notch. Ive been driving for over 10 years now, ive been thru tickets before thou its been quite a while, so I dont go nuts around areas I would know to be heavy with cops, etc.

Not really even sure why I am defending myself almost here. You have your opinions, its up to you how you show them i guess

P.S. My setup is completely functional as it does FIT and it does PERFORM and i am HAPPY with it. If id bought a set of wheels for $1500 more that stuck an inch outside my fenders, rubbed like crazy, wasnt happy with cosmetically and was never meant for my model car..THEN it wouldnt be functional.

For everyone else, sorry you had to waste your time reading thru this little back n forth that honestly felt like it shouldve been dealt with via PM's

Last edited by thez99; 08-21-2011 at 02:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 02:47 AM   #35
91Kevin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Then I guess you also know that those backroads can be deceivingly safe. Only place I've ever gotten tickets were on backroads, and I swear deer are suicidal.

I hardly ever drive too much out of limits on streets (usually 5-10 over depending on the road) I just don't like taking the chance. I understand where you are coming from though, carry on. Just think about what you post next time you see a thread where someone has stretched a little tire and lowered their car "excessively". It all comes to preferences.

I didn't say your setup wasn't functional, I was offering an option that may be more functional by helping decrease understeer. There was no need for this to go to PMs because I'm not mad, we aren't using foul language or calling each other names, we are just expressing opinions and going back and forth. Its what a forum is for. Forums aren't for people to post threads and pictures and just have 3 pages of "looks great man!" replies. That would be boring.

And for my old wheel setup, I was going to get a few things tweaked and it would have been exactly where I wanted it cosmetically, and it would have decreased rubbing. I decided to go a different route though which I don't need to get into right now, hence why I'm parting out and selling my car. All along I have been saying that my SSR setup was not functional for performance, but it was functional for aesthetics in mine and many others' opinions.

Last edited by 91Kevin; 08-21-2011 at 02:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 02:56 AM   #36
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
in my honest opinion. with the vmrs in 18x8.5 et35 18x9.5 et33 (assuming so cause you didn't state and thats the most common size in VMRs that would sorta fit) on PSS 235/40/18 fronts and 265/35/18 rears + 5mm up front, you should be very careful of dips/bumps/potholes. I'm also assuming you didn't negative camber out or roll or shave your fenders. The rears should be poking at least 3-5mm and the fronts should be poking more with 5mm. I know this for a fact because I was still poking with pulled fenders on the same offset. You should really rethink adding the 5mm up front cause if you're going on a sharp turn you might buckle in your front fender. The front fenders are pretty much plastic so one hit KO I'm on a 18x9 up front so no worries about the strut, I'm 1-2mm away from the strut, no problems. And yea, don't lower the car. The more functional way of addressing your problem would be dialing in some negative camber. Good luck. I hope you take my advice cause it would suck to see a messed up 1 series fender.... I know cause that's what happened to me before, but it was hit and run and not because I had the "wrong" offsets.

This being said.... I can't wait for my 245 front and 275 rear setup HEHEHEHE
      08-21-2011, 03:08 AM   #37
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Then I guess you also know that those backroads can be deceivingly safe. Only place I've ever gotten tickets were on backroads, and I swear deer are suicidal.

I hardly ever drive too much out of limits on streets (usually 5-10 over depending on the road) I just don't like taking the chance. I understand where you are coming from though, carry on. Just think about what you post next time you see a thread where someone has stretched a little tire and lowered their car "excessively". It all comes to preferences.

I didn't say your setup wasn't functional, I was offering an option that may be more functional by helping decrease understeer. There was no need for this to go to PMs because I'm not mad, we aren't using foul language or calling each other names, we are just expressing opinions and going back and forth. Its what a forum is for. Forums aren't for people to post threads and pictures and just have 3 pages of "looks great man!" replies. That would be boring.

And for my old wheel setup, I was going to get a few things tweaked and it would have been exactly where I wanted it cosmetically, and it would have decreased rubbing. I decided to go a different route though which I don't need to get into right now, hence why I'm parting out and selling my car. All along I have been saying that my SSR setup was not functional for performance, but it was functional for aesthetics in mine and many others' opinions.
Yes indeed all this time I did realize you were sour on my posts on JZ and schnells setups before. But all i posted on their threads was that I felt driving on wheels that poked outside the fenders were not functional which they ARE NOT. Yes they looked good and thats obviously why they chose them, which is fine, that was that. No harm done..
Obviously I couldnt expect an excellent review from someone who rathers a tire/wheel setup like JZ and Schnell and you had, diff strokes for diff folks.

When I hit a pothole and one of these wheels happens to bend (like most wheels prob would) then I will likely just replace it, itd be like being in a hailstorm and having to repair the damage. Sometimes shit happens, just hoping that my good driving abilities and beater roads around here will make that less likely
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 03:11 AM   #38
91Kevin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Chill with the caps telling me the SSRs and CCWs and all that have been run on 135i's are not functional. I've said THE SAME THING myself MULTIPLE TIMES so now maybe you will GET IT.

And dude, I favor the fitment thing for looks but I have only had 1 set of wheels that were low offset, sticking past the fender.

I've had two sets of Alufelgen CS7s, a set of 19" Advan RZs (in the 1 series specific fitment) and a set of Volk G2s (also in the 1 series specific fitment)

I have had functional for performance wheel setups, I have used them to the tire's potential on track, and I've daily driven with them as well. I don't know what you're trying to point out. I've done both, the functional performance route with my 135i as well as the low offset my stance gets me all the bitches route. I can review and speak on both to a certain extent.

Last edited by 91Kevin; 08-21-2011 at 03:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 03:25 AM   #39
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang View Post
in my honest opinion. with the vmrs in 18x8.5 et35 18x9.5 et33 (assuming so cause you didn't state and thats the most common size in VMRs that would sorta fit) on PSS 235/40/18 fronts and 265/35/18 rears + 5mm up front, you should be very careful of dips/bumps/potholes. I'm also assuming you didn't negative camber out or roll or shave your fenders. The rears should be poking at least 3-5mm and the fronts should be poking more with 5mm. I know this for a fact because I was still poking with pulled fenders on the same offset. You should really rethink adding the 5mm up front cause if you're going on a sharp turn you might buckle in your front fender. The front fenders are pretty much plastic so one hit KO I'm on a 18x9 up front so no worries about the strut, I'm 1-2mm away from the strut, no problems. And yea, don't lower the car. The more functional way of addressing your problem would be dialing in some negative camber. Good luck. I hope you take my advice cause it would suck to see a messed up 1 series fender.... I know cause that's what happened to me before, but it was hit and run and not because I had the "wrong" offsets.

This being said.... I can't wait for my 245 front and 275 rear setup HEHEHEHE
JZ my 701's are 8.5 et45 front and 9.5 et50 rears. The rears line up perfectly with the fenders JUST inside and does not rub and the fronts are about the same. The 5's will cause the tires' edges to poke bout 1-2mm outside the fenders but the tread will fit inside and with a healthy gap between tire and strut.

Not only that, but when I do suspension work, like i said before, I plan on having a mild drop (ps) since I dont feel more than that is needed and I will def be installing the m3 bits again like i said before so it will add neg camber to the front allowing for no rub even with the drop. =)

Last edited by thez99; 08-21-2011 at 03:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 03:32 AM   #40
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Chill with the caps telling me the SSRs and CCWs and all that have been run on 135i's are not functional. I've said THE SAME THING myself MULTIPLE TIMES so now maybe you will GET IT.

And dude, I favor the fitment thing for looks but I have only had 1 set of wheels that were low offset, sticking past the fender.

I've had two sets of Alufelgen CS7s, a set of 19" Advan RZs (in the 1 series specific fitment) and a set of Volk G2s (also in the 1 series specific fitment)

I have had functional for performance wheel setups, I have used them to the tire's potential on track, and I've daily driven with them as well. I don't know what you're trying to point out. I've done both, the functional performance route with my 135i as well as the low offset my stance gets me all the bitches route. I can review and speak on both to a certain extent.
All i said is that why i figured you were doin this back n forth with me about the "functionality" thing, because you saw the opinions i gave on JZ and Schnells threads for their wheels. Dont really care what other wheels uve had, do what you like, I do what fits and looks sexy.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 03:36 AM   #41
91Kevin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I give up dude, I wasn't going back and forth with you about the functionality thing.

Last note, VMRs do not classify as "sexy" pretty much ever. But that's just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 03:42 AM   #42
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]

This has been fun. Back to moving on?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 03:46 AM   #43
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
BTW for everyone else, this thread was not only displaying my wheels but also the detailing job, tint job, and my bright semi-messy garage
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 03:54 AM   #44
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
just be careful 235 and et 45 rubs. thats what my 19" setup was.