BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #133
JohnnyTT
Captain
JohnnyTT's Avatar
12
Rep
742
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

it comes down to trust and track record.

From being a member of these BMW communities for the last 7 months... Terry has proven himself over and over again, through quality and customer service.
Shiv has released untested products, spread lies and BS on the forums, and been caught making multiple ID's.

I don't own either product... and I would trust my car with a BMS product.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #134
adc
Brigadier General
53
Rep
4,151
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTT View Post
it comes down to trust and track record.

From being a member of these BMW communities for the last 7 months... Terry has proven himself over and over again, through quality and customer service.
Shiv has released untested products, spread lies and BS on the forums, and been caught making multiple ID's.
+1, with some qualifications:

Being an observer from the beginning I witnessed both tuners making some very questionable "marketing" decisions.

But overall, BMS' customer service and product maturity at release date is what won me over.
__________________

2009 E90 M3 ED
2014 X1 28i ED
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #135
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
66
Rep
5,972
Posts

 
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Evansville, IN

iTrader: (0)

I've been putting some thought into how the timing is being controlled safely with the JB3, and I've got a pretty good idea how he's doing it.

They may not be manipulating crank position under normal operation, but they are tapped into the crank position sensor. I'm thinking the JB3 manipulates the crank position after install and then gradually (and safely) brings it back to normal as the ECU adapts the timing to the new boost levels. After the ECU has adapted, it just passes the crank position through without altering it.

That's just a guess though.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #136
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
66
Rep
5,972
Posts

 
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Evansville, IN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTT View Post
it comes down to trust and track record.

From being a member of these BMW communities for the last 7 months... Terry has proven himself over and over again, through quality and customer service.
Shiv has released untested products, spread lies and BS on the forums, and been caught making multiple ID's.

I don't own either product... and I would trust my car with a BMS product.

I did my installation over Christmas (pinout version) and had a couple of questions. Terry answered my emails within minutes, even one on Christmas Eve. Take that for what it's worth to you, but it's certainly a + in my book. :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #137
dadasracecar
Banned
6
Rep
268
Posts

 
Drives: '06 Mazdaspeed6
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I've been putting some thought into how the timing is being controlled safely with the JB3, and I've got a pretty good idea how he's doing it.

They may not be manipulating crank position under normal operation, but they are tapped into the crank position sensor. I'm thinking the JB3 manipulates the crank position after install and then gradually (and safely) brings it back to normal as the ECU adapts the timing to the new boost levels. After the ECU has adapted, it just passes the crank position through without altering it.

That's just a guess though.
I think Scalbert reported that there was no change to the CPS signal whatsoever in the testing he did. That's where all of this started.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #138
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
66
Rep
5,972
Posts

 
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Evansville, IN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadasracecar View Post
I think Scalbert reported that there was no change to the CPS signal whatsoever in the testing he did. That's where all of this started.

It's possible it only alters it right after install though, to allow the ECU to safely adapt to the new boost gradually. That would explain why it gets so much faster after a few days of operation (and it does get faster).

If he were working with a unit that had already adapted, maybe there was nothing to see?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 05:34 AM   #139
ddtung
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Dec 2008

iTrader: (0)

I had my JB3 v1.22 installed yesterday and have been running map 4. All I can say is that my RE01-Rs have had to work overtime ever since, and I am scrambling to add more braking power.:biggrin:

Definitely best bang for the buck mod.:smile:

DDTUNG
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 06:58 AM   #140
penny
Captain
penny's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
832
Posts

 
Drives: '08 135i (sold)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Las Colinas

iTrader: (2)

That was a good 4am reading. Even though most of you guys don't agree with laloosh and dada, they're making everyone talk. I'm just sitting back soaking it all in.

Keep debating. I need to learn. =)
__________________
'08 135i.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #141
Strongbark
Brigadier General
Strongbark's Avatar
No_Country
88
Rep
3,688
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 on order
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Earth

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtung View Post
I had my JB3 v1.22 installed yesterday and have been running map 4. All I can say is that my R01-Rs have had to work overtime ever since, and I am scrambling to add more braking power.:biggrin:

Definitely best bang for the buck mod.:smile:

DDTUNG

Try map 6 and report back with your impressions.
__________________
Strongbark

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic32890_2.gif
'13 Mini GP #485 of 500 For Sale
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #142
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
ssabripo's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
2,102
Posts

 
Drives: camels & donkeys
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plantation, Fl

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to ssabripo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtung View Post
I had my JB3 v1.22 installed yesterday and have been running map 4. All I can say is that my R01-Rs have had to work overtime ever since, and I am scrambling to add more braking power.:biggrin:

Definitely best bang for the buck mod.:smile:

DDTUNG
no map6, no care
__________________

__________________________________________________ ____________
e90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #143
ddtung
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Dec 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
Try map 6 and report back with your impressions.
I'll do that after more time with map 4.

DDTUNG
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST