BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-09-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
hoki06
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

What's the current market for a 6MT sport package 128i?

I'm contemplating making a change with my daily driver but I haven't paid much attention to the market for our cars. I'd like to hear some opinions on what a car like mine is worth. Here are the details:

2008 128i
Sedona red ext
Black interior
Sport package
6MT
119k miles and rising
Fully up to date on maintenance including spark plugs, water pump, etc.
Suspension was refreshed about 25k miles ago

I'm the 3rd owner IIRC, bought it at 52k miles and it's been my daily for 4+ years. Interior is in great shape. Exterior has peeled clear coat on plastic pieces (bumper,s mirror covers, roof antenna) which apparently isn't uncommon. I've had plans to install fresh M sport bumpers and have the other pieces painted but it's low on the priority list. It's seen a lot of highway miles so it has rock chips up front. Bumpers have dings from city parking but that goes hand in hand with the peeling clear on the bumpers.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
I'm thinking around $9-10k
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #3
CAYY
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

Sounds about right to me!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
hoki06
Lieutenant
Rep

$10k is about what I was thinking so good to see I'm not far off. Now to decided if I actually want to sell it...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #5
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

Thinking 8-10k as well. Sedona is a love it or hate it color so it may take a bit to sell (I'm in the love it camp, personally!)
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 02:55 PM   #6
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 Dodge Durango

working for a dealership

wholesale:
$10-13k for a sub 50k car.

120k miles is going to be sub 7k

retail:
add $3-5k. in your situation I think your vehicle is a $7500-$9500 car.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 08:21 PM   #7
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
This thread right here illustrates why I can never sell my car, lol.

But to be honest, 7 years later and I'm still loving it, and it would cost so many more times what my car is worth to get something equivalent that it's not even funny. I seriously think I might be done buying new cars anyway (although I admit I'm tempted from time to time...).
      09-22-2017, 03:54 PM   #8
gixracer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M3/SlickN55/SlickN54/128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
This thread right here illustrates why I can never sell my car, lol.

But to be honest, 7 years later and I'm still loving it, and it would cost so many more times what my car is worth to get something equivalent that it's not even funny. I seriously think I might be done buying new cars anyway (although I admit I'm tempted from time to time...).
Right there with you. After i look at what it would cost to redo mine its would be some serious coin. Also cant find a 128i slicktop manual sport anywhere now. Rare bird I say. In order to sell it I would have to have someone that understood exactly why they want one of our cars. I will probably be keeping mine even though I will have another NA version with about 150 more hp and gobs more tire.
There is just something about this car. Everything else is bloated and HP infused. Drivers car is what it is and you need to be able to have skills to go fast. For me being 6'4" this is my kind of Miata.
      09-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #9
hoki06
Lieutenant
Rep

The more I think about it, the less inclined I am to sell the car at this point. For what its worth these days, I don't think I can get anything in the same price range that's comparable that will keep me happy. I'd love something a little bigger and quicker but I'll have to treat myself later in life.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2017, 05:27 PM   #10
RyanDavies
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoki06 View Post
The more I think about it, the less inclined I am to sell the car at this point. For what its worth these days, I don't think I can get anything in the same price range that's comparable that will keep me happy. I'd love something a little bigger and quicker but I'll have to treat myself later in life.
This is the same conundrum I have with mine. There just isn't anything in the price range that would make me nearly as happy.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 09:56 PM   #11
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDavies View Post
This is the same conundrum I have with mine. There just isn't anything in the price range that would make me nearly as happy.
Absolutely.

When these cars were new, the press and the chattering class had a field day with how "overpriced" they were - I think there was a lot of initial buzz around the car, but when pricing was announced it was higher than many had hoped for. That said, you have to remember that the 128i started south of $30K. I bought mine (ideally optioned, IMO) for $30,449! That's insane to me now. Yes, I went through the Military Sales program and it was 7 years ago, and of course I've put a lot of time, effort, and money into perfecting the car since then.

But still. RWD, rev-happy 6-cylinder, 50/50 weight distribution, sublime manual box - these are fantastic ingredients difficult to find at all nowadays, let alone at a $30K price point. Throw another $5K-$15K worth of mods at the thing, and you have a car you can happily live with for the rest of your life, IMO.

Literally the only thing I would feel like replacing this car with at this point is a 911, and that would be at least 3x the cost. Somebody will probably make fun of me for saying that about a 128i, but that's honestly how I feel.
      09-29-2017, 10:16 AM   #12
tuphdc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 128i 6MT Sport Pkg

^^^^^^^^ I agree. Love my '09 128i, but have considered 228i at times.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #13
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 Dodge Durango

i am in the same boat. i have done the e9x m3 suspension bits, bilstein b12 kit, dinan camber plates, michelin pss, ss lines, better fluid, and PFC pads.

coming from an e46 m3, the car is quite slow on the track (i am a bmw cca and pca instructor), but it is a fun car on the track.

i want something faster, but the only thing I can think of is a pre owned 5.0 or a new eco boost mustang and go to town on it with suspension mods, but the quality of the interior is shyte, compared to the bmw.

and to think...this was BMW entry level option

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #14
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKumarM3 View Post
i am in the same boat. i have done the e9x m3 suspension bits, bilstein b12 kit, dinan camber plates, michelin pss, ss lines, better fluid, and PFC pads.

coming from an e46 m3, the car is quite slow on the track (i am a bmw cca and pca instructor), but it is a fun car on the track.

i want something faster, but the only thing I can think of is a pre owned 5.0 or a new eco boost mustang and go to town on it with suspension mods, but the quality of the interior is shyte, compared to the bmw.

and to think...this was BMW entry level option
- 3 stage IM
- Stage 2 Intake
- Headers
- Matching software for all the above

The car should be around 270-280 @ wheels with a better power curve for the track (ie in the upper RPM range). Beyond that, drop $5K on a Vortech supercharger

I was at a track day a few weeks back and there was a unicorn 128i with supersprint headers and a vortech supercharger with appropriate tune. That thing screamed, and was quite fast. Keeping up with stage 1 135s.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 06:30 AM   #15
sprp85
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S54/N52

Garage List
2006 E46 M3  [0.00]
2007 E91 328i  [0.00]
I dont think 3SI, header, intake and tune will net you 270+ at the wheels.

270 crank, probably.

Unless I’ve been missing out on something?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 10:22 AM   #16
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
I was at a track day a few weeks back and there was a unicorn 128i with supersprint headers and a vortech supercharger with appropriate tune. That thing screamed, and was quite fast. Keeping up with stage 1 135s.
Very tempting! Well, other than the cost, I suppose. And the fact that, with 3-stage IM, headers, etc., I think the car feels nicely balanced and not underpowered at all.

But still! Did you talk to the owner? Did he have anything to say about drivability on the street, or was this primarily a track toy?

I see their latest kit is incorporating upgraded injectors. I had talked to ESS about 18 months ago, and they were still working out some bugs, and the OE fueling was the limiting factor on making power. One of the kits offered an upgraded fuel sending unit (VT1+) that supposedly increased fueling by 10%, but I wondered at the time if an injector upgrade was feasible.
      10-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #17
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Very tempting! Well, other than the cost, I suppose. And the fact that, with 3-stage IM, headers, etc., I think the car feels nicely balanced and not underpowered at all.

But still! Did you talk to the owner? Did he have anything to say about drivability on the street, or was this primarily a track toy?

I see their latest kit is incorporating upgraded injectors. I had talked to ESS about 18 months ago, and they were still working out some bugs, and the OE fueling was the limiting factor on making power. One of the kits offered an upgraded fuel sending unit (VT1+) that supposedly increased fueling by 10%, but I wondered at the time if an injector upgrade was feasible.
Tempting indeed! Yes I finally caught up with the owner at the end of the event. He did get the injectors as well, I didn't ask specific details but he said the car was great on the street with no issues. He was an older guy so doubt he drives the thing daily, but it was definitely a weekend/summer/track car so it sees road duty for sure.

Tuning was done by a local shop here in Toronto, Eurocharged (they are relatively well known amongst the N54/N55 crowd). He didn't have the 3 stage IM which probably made the tuning a bit simpler.

You've got the exact power mods I have, I think I would "stop" at that point - at this stage I'm not sure I will even get to the headers, may just stop at the 3 stage IM and maybe an intake. Those all seem like somewhat reversible mods to me, the whole "remove the cat and hope you pass emissions" thing never sat too well with me, I don't have much patience for that hassle.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 07:28 AM   #18
Roccity Rider
Rep
Drives: 2009 128 Sport Package 6MT

I paid $8200 at a dealer for my 09 a few months ago. Southern car, zero rust, black on black, sport package, 79k miles, no frills. It is a little rough around the edges like it sounds like yours is. The automatics are everywhere for sub $8k sub 80k miles. Unfortunately, only the enthusiasts want the manual transmission.

Quote:
I'm contemplating making a change with my daily driver but I haven't paid much attention to the market for our cars. I'd like to hear some opinions on what a car like mine is worth. Here are the details:

2008 128i
Sedona red ext
Black interior
Sport package
6MT
119k miles and rising
Fully up to date on maintenance including spark plugs, water pump, etc.
Suspension was refreshed about 25k miles ago

I'm the 3rd owner IIRC, bought it at 52k miles and it's been my daily for 4+ years. Interior is in great shape. Exterior has peeled clear coat on plastic pieces (bumper,s mirror covers, roof antenna) which apparently isn't uncommon. I've had plans to install fresh M sport bumpers and have the other pieces painted but it's low on the priority list. It's seen a lot of highway miles so it has rock chips up front. Bumpers have dings from city parking but that goes hand in hand with the peeling clear on the bumpers.
Appreciate 0