BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #23
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

its part of the "smoking package" in Europe. So if you don't add that option we also get an open area. It also adds a 12v socket. I did actively add that to my car. Might be different in different countries as BMW can spec some stuff as standard in some countries like in Sweden we have cold weather package etc standard etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 05:02 AM   #24
Ascari
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M - 08 X3 MSport 3.0D

I love this thread. Details, man, it's in the details; like the dipping passenger side mirror for accurate parking and those folding mirrors

On the topic of sunglasses, I've lined the spaces inside the arm rest with a dark grey dense rubber and so the smaller of the spaces is now perfect for sunglasses out of the case and whatever I put in the larger space no longer rattles.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #25
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
Thanks for clarifying. I didn't want to argue whether it was standard or not as I was not 100% certain!
Metak, there is nothing to argue, let me explain why: Not every country in EU has the exact same standart equipment list. The 1M like any other BMW in Germany for example does not have the smoker package standart and it is a paid option for 30 EUR like in most EU contries. You can see that yourself just by clicking the German website. My car is a Euro spec. car and it has the so called non-smoker package which is the open tray as standart. Artemis' car on the other hand has the smoker package because he lives in Belgium: France and Belgium base equipment list differs slightly from some other European countries. There are minor differences like this.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #26
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Metak, there is nothing to argue, let me explain why: Not every country in EU has the exact same standart equipment list. The 1M like any other BMW in Germany for example does not have the smoker package standart and it is a paid option for 30 EUR like in most EU contries. You can see that yourself just by clicking the German website. My car is a Euro spec. car and it has the so called non-smoker package which is the open tray as standart. Artemis' car on the other hand has the smoker package because he lives in Belgium: France and Belgium base equipment list differs slightly from some other European countries. There are minor differences like this.
You are going to explain it to us now. OK. Seems to me you are figuring it out as you post yourself. lol. Yet here you are continuing to argue. I was speaking in general and Artemis was speaking from his own experience. I NEVER used the word "standard", you did, I was merely stating that you don't get it in NA and in EU you can. How much? What package? What country is it 'standard'? You can start a new thread if you want to continue this.
      01-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #27
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
The 1M like any other BMW in Germany for example does not have the smoker package standard and it is a paid option for 30 EUR like in most EU contries.
To put this to rest: both Metak and ozinaldo are right. Metak did not generalize - Ozinaldo pointed out a local feature. "Smoker's Package" is definitely a standard feature on Belgian 1M's (included in the base price). I thought this also happened to be the case in Germany, or that you could get this at least free of charge in Germany. I was wrong: in Germany it's a separate payable option for the 1M (option 441) (€25.21 + taxes = €30.00).

Just for the record: excerpts from pages 8 and 11 of the German 1M Price-list:

"Standard features:
Comfort- and interior features:
Non-smokers package including an open storage tray in the middle console"
"Serienausstattungen
Komfort- und Innenausstattung:
Nichtraucherpaket inkl. offenem Ablagefach in der Mittelkonsole"

"Optional features:
Smoker's Package: ashtray, cigarette lighter, and folding decorational cover (441)"

"Sonderausstattungen
Raucherpaket: Aschenbecher, Zigarettenanzünder und klappbare Dekorblende (441)"

That's clarified now.

So, any other hidden gems unreported in the 1M manual ? For example access to hidden info/menu, as demonstrated on the E90 below ?

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #28
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanh8791 View Post
Not really hidden but one of the coolest things I like (please don't jump on me if this has been around for a while) is the little green loop inside the gas tank fill-up door to hold the cover when you're filling up. Every other car I've owned I am always hating having to rest the cover on side of the car against the paint.
BMWs have had that for at least 15 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Agreed. So functional, so elegant in its simplicity, so German.
Has nothing to do with German.
My other German car doesn't have it.
It's just a BMW detail.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 04:27 AM   #29
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrow View Post
On the subject of what we keep in the tray, I bought an extra long iPhone cable that extends to the tray and plug my iPhone in to it an leave it sitting in there while I drive and let the end of the cable rest there when I get out for quick access when I get back in.

I realize the standard white cable also reaches but it's tight. My longer one I can tuck in between the seat and the center console so you don't have it draped across the center console. I also got my cable in black so it blends in better.

Do you guys not get the iphone/ipod pouch under the arm rest? I place my ipod touch safely out of the way and it is right next to the usb socket....
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #30
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
Do you guys not get the iphone/ipod pouch under the arm rest? I place my ipod touch safely out of the way and it is right next to the usb socket....
Can you post a picture of it?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #31
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

will do this evening
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #32
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
Got it: black leather pouch with a black latch, glued under the armrest (probably optional).

Seems for iPod use only. My Blackberry 9900 fits in it too, but cannot be recharged at that spot (the BB plug for the recharging cable sits too low on the left side = sits in the way). AFAIK the snap-in adapter for that BB 9900 is not available yet (and the BB 9900 is not compatible with the snap-in adapter for my old BB 9000).

Temporary solution as long as the BB 9900 snap-in adapter is unavailable: store my BB in the tray where the snap-in adapter is supposed to be, connected to a cable leading to the USB-port under the armrest, passing through the iPod pouch as guidance (hiding the leftover of the whole cable). Cable and BB stowed away from prying eyes + no hassle with cable and no issue with opening and closing the armrest.

Conclusion: iPod pouch under the armrest got demoted as storage space for the leftover of the recharger cable for a BB...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #33
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Got it: black leather pouch with a black latch, glued under the armrest (probably optional).
That's the one, my ipod fits perfect, didn't even know about it, picked up my car, went to place my touch in the arm rest, plug in to the usb cable and ah what's this, fits perfect and out of the way, and not cables dangling......
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #34
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Strange that the storage pocket beside the wheel i just for European 1M! I thought it was to store you smith & wesson... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #35
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

You guys are making me curious, need to go to garage now to check! This is like CSI business you manage and I couldn't even spot the 2 (vanished or what) tweeters of my H/K system at the rear (there are only 2 speakers in my car at the back, should be 4) and after a basically fruitless Forum thread and a tiresome internet search, an audio shop technician told me listening some music in the car that "there are definitely tweeters inside those speakers at the rear parcel shelf" which I took it as it is and now I am counting them 8 visible and 2 not-visible, total of 10 speakers as it should be
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #36
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
Strange that the storage pocket beside the wheel i just for European 1M! I thought it was to store you smith & wesson... ;-)
For whatever reason, the storage package has never been available on any US 1 series model, which is unfortunate. I'd love to have the pocket beside the wheel, the seatback storage nets, the 12v outlet in the trunk, and the cargo net in the trunk.
      01-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #37
MB38
[insert witty title here]
Rep
Drives: '97 Supra TT, '11 1M

I've actually been thinking about buying an iPod Touch [already have iPhone] just to put into that little pouch and leave in the car. My garage is in range of my house's wireless network, so every day when I get home it could automatically sync and add any music to the car that I've added to my library in the house.

Just a fun thought. Probably won't do it, but we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #38
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB38 View Post
I've actually been thinking about buying an iPod Touch [already have iPhone] just to put into that little pouch and leave in the car. My garage is in range of my house's wireless network, so every day when I get home it could automatically sync and add any music to the car that I've added to my library in the house.

Just a fun thought. Probably won't do it, but we'll see.
an iPod can sync wirelessly? I thought it had to be wired to your computer running iTunes.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #39
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
an iPod can sync wirelessly? I thought it had to be wired to your computer running iTunes.
iOS5 is now wireless sync. Pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #40
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
For whatever reason, the storage package has never been available on any US 1 series model, which is unfortunate. I'd love to have the pocket beside the wheel, the seatback storage nets, the 12v outlet in the trunk, and the cargo net in the trunk.
That should really be an option or standart in every market, so useful details. There are also additional latches in the trunk with the storage pack plus if the car is w/out nav. you get an additional storage compartment that also looks good where you would have the nav. screen and lastly a second cup holder instead of the i-drive.

Found the iphone pouch, really cool, so well hidden I think I could leave a credit card or some cash there if I get too brave sometimes. Who would notice that? I didn't! Thanks Aussie.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #41
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
It may be trickier than we think (i.e. not just a matter of a cubbyhole). For example, the US E39 5-series body had a completely different lower dash panel than the E39s in the rest of the world. It was deeper/bulkier, and had all to do with how crash tests in the US were conducted (IIRC the dummies were tested without the seat belts on and tests showed their knees buckled under the dashboard, so for the US they had to be revised.)

Ask me how I know, almost went for the Euro conversion on my M5 (only cost precluded it as I had the full leather interior and the panels were over $2K , but plenty people that didn't have the full-leather options did buy the lower Euro dash which was a few hundred bucks and very much worth the upgrade - significantly less weight and of course the cubbies). I actually helped my friend install his after we bought it from Dave Zeckhausen. Check out the before and after pics.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/eurodash.htm

PS: May be worth doing a Euro conversion for our Ms if indeed its the same case here
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 03:18 AM   #42
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

I did actually not spec the storage package! I still have the small compartment to the left of the wheel. So in Sweden that is not part of the storage package.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #43
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
I did actually not spec the storage package! I still have the small compartment to the left of the wheel. So in Sweden that is not part of the storage package.
You are right, it is not part of the storage pack. Obviously, it comes standart in Euro spec cars anyway and not in US cars, for some reason.

Does anyone have a trunk opener button inside the car? Like near to the engine compartment opener? I remember a pre-production 1M inside video and photos that had this but my car doesn't have it plus manual does not mention and I didn't see it in any other user photos posted in this forum either.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #44
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

I have the trunk button in my car. I have the iPod pouch under the arm rest as well.

No cubby hole in the dash. I have Idrive, so I have one badly placed cup holder behind the Idrive. I refuse to attach the side mounted cup holder, hate the look. I wish we had pop out cup holders like the 3s. I'd pay for this mod if someone does it lol.

I have a valet lock out in the glove box. You flip a switch and your trunk won't open, and you use the valet key in your fob to lock the glove box.

One pet peeve I have with this car: whenever the headlights decide they need to be cleaned, the headlights turn off while you're spraying them... Don't see why that necessary.

Last edited by -cj-; 01-22-2012 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0