BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
saveferris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Can Anyone Confirm a Tune Eliminates DCT Lag

Building on the earlier post about the DCT Lag...I just picked up my car from the dealer who had it for three weeks working on fixing the lag. I was out of town the whole time so it wasn't an issue not to have it. In the end a lot of effort was done (they went way above and beyond if you ask me) but the lag is of course still there.

As I've read through a lot of posts about the issue I see a lot of folks mention getting a tune will fix it...either an aftermarket tune or the PPK. What I've not seen is someone who says they had the lag, got a tune and it's gone. I may have just missed it but can anyone confirm that a tune will remove the lag, if so which one...thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
I have to say I wasn't really aware of any major turbo lag before I got PPK1. It had a slight one but now with PPK1 installed i really feel no turbo lag.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
patricksr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

I have a 135is which has the PPK1 I believe. Definite DCT lag when pulling away from a stop light or stop sign.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #4
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
I have to say I wasn't really aware of any major turbo lag before I got PPK1. It had a slight one but now with PPK1 installed i really feel no turbo lag.
I think he's talking about the 2-5mph rolling stop/start lag of the transmission, not turbo lag.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Anyone notice if you make a hard left or right turn from a slow roll and get on the throttle a little it almost feels like fuel starvation? I'm going to have an independent garage do a quick look at it before I head to the dealer.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
I do not have any tune, but I can say with certainty that a tune will not eliminate the 2mph hesitation. I have only had my car for 800mls so far and have experienced this hesitation twice, its like the car stalls. your gut reaction is to give it more throttle which makes the car jump when it finally finds the gear. the only thing a tune is going to do is either make the throttle more sensitive or give it more boost either way its just going to jump even harder. it happens to me at the same place every time I drive there, the only thing I can think to do is pay attention when you coast then brake and slap the paddle into first, the only problem I've had with that so far is this car makes it easy for me to not have to pay attention anymore, I have developed that bad habit of not paying attention already.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
I posted before about this. Prior to my purchase I test drove an early 2013 build 135is that suffered from this lag. In fact it was the first thing I noticed since the drive began with a highway merge. I later picked up my July build 135is spec'd exactly the same as the car I drove before and was happy to report NO lag whatsoever. During that home I recall the dealer telling me there was a software update to address the issue.
      03-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
BatteryPowered
Private
Rep
Drives: Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpar56 View Post
Anyone notice if you make a hard left or right turn from a slow roll and get on the throttle a little it almost feels like fuel starvation? I'm going to have an independent garage do a quick look at it before I head to the dealer.
Did you completely disable traction control (hold DTC button for around 5 seconds) before doing this maneuver?

By default DTC is extremely sensitive to even tiniest wheel spin (a tiny bump on the road, weight shift during turn, etc.) and will kill the power (causing a jerk in some instances).

Long story short, if you drive even a bit aggressively make sure to press DTC button (just press once, don't hold it) to tone DTC down. That's the only way I drive 135i, because default setting was constantly killing power which caused the car to jerk during take off, in turns, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
Did you completely disable traction control (hold DTC button for around 5 seconds) before doing this maneuver?

By default DTC is extremely sensitive to even tiniest wheel spin (a tiny bump on the road, weight shift during turn, etc.) and will kill the power (causing a jerk in some instances).

Long story short, if you drive even a bit aggressively make sure to press DTC button (just press once, don't hold it) to tone DTC down. That's the only way I drive 135i, because default setting was constantly killing power which caused the car to jerk during take off, in turns, etc.
Yep. Done that a number of times. Normally the DTC will give you some warning. This is more of the throttle dead spot/tip in. It's like press throttle, wait, then it catches. It's probably something the software update may fix (hopefully) and I'll book a visit soon to the dealership to see if they will do the update.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #10
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

A tune will not eliminate the shift lag. Please read through the following thread for a description of the issue and the software fix that needs to be applied by your dealer. The updated software for the transmission control unit will not be applied automatically- your dealer will need to manually flash the module per the service bulletin. Print out the bulletin and bring it to your dealer.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675318
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 09:45 AM   #11
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
My car is an 8/13 build and it has the hesitation, I would think it would have the latest software.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 01:26 PM   #12
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
My car is an 8/13 build and it has the hesitation, I would think it would have the latest software.
I can't diagnose your vehicle for you, but I can refer you to the thread where many people have experienced the same issue and had it fixed via the TCU update. This has been the only confirmed fix for this widespread shift logic problem in the DCT software.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 10:15 AM   #13
msf
Keep the shiny side up.
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Thank you for this post. I turned off DSC and was amazed by how much power was being cut to the power train when this is on. Just push once to turn off DSC. Push and hold three seconds to turn off DTC. I am leaving DTC on and just turning off DSC. It is like a different car. I think DSC is designed to keep you from getting into trouble by cutting power immediately and DTC is there to try to keep you from wrecking. Turning off DSC tones this system down quite a bit and makes the car much more fun to drive. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post

04-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #14
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I think the best way to avoid this problem is to always drive with DTC on (one press), in manual with the sport button pressed.
That's what I do and I've never noticed this hesitation.
Mine is a 2011 and I had it updated to the latest software at the end of last year (for Cobb comaptibility) and didn't notice any difference in DCT behaviour.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #15
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
I think the best way to avoid this problem is to always drive with DTC on (one press), in manual with the sport button pressed.
Mine is a 2011 and I had it updated to the latest software at the end of last year (for Cobb comaptibility) and didn't notice any difference in DCT behaviour.
I've started using manual mode a lot more lately and i since haven't had the bogging down issue but the throttle lag is still there. Sport mode does help a lot though so will maybe use that a bit more, have always been reluctant to play with the DTC button.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #16
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
IMO once you have a tune it is way to intrusive to leave TC fully on.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 09:22 PM   #17
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Wish there was a tune apart from PPK for mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #18
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy 72 View Post
Wish there was a tune apart from PPK for mine.
Dinan?

http://dinancars.com/product/d900-31...ries&mid=1139/
      04-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #19
hatepotholez
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
I tried part of this, I had DTC off(1 push) and sport engaged. Still have a severe lag...also had a double hesitation today, wife was like whoa what was that, I said you see!!
Appreciate 0