BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-22-2010, 05:04 AM   #1
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Exclamation BMW Welt and Museum tour...

BMW Welt und Museum

Am Olympiapark 2
80809 München, Deutschland

Tel 089 8906366-3 (inside of Germany)
+011.49 89 8906366-3 (calling from the states)

Overview opening times.
- BMW Welt
The BMW Welt is open from 9 am - 6 pm daily.
Customers collecting new automobiles can access the BMW Welt Mondays to Saturdays already at 7.30 am. An automobile takeover is not possible on Sundays and holidays.
• BMW Welt Shops: Mon - Sat 09 am - 6 pm, Sunday and public holidays 10 am - 6 pm
• BMW Welt Tours: daily 10 am - 4 pm
• Junior Campus: Mon - Fri 9 am - 6 pm (weekends and public holidays 10 am - 6 pm)
• Restaurant International: Mon - Sat 11 am - 11 pm, Sunday and public holidays 11 am -6 pm
• Bistro: Mon - Sat 7.30 am - 7 pm (Sunday and holidays 9 am - 7 pm)
• Coffee Bar: daily from 10 am - 7 pm

- BMW Museum
Tue - Sun, public holidays 10 am - 6 pm
Mon closed except 05th April, 24th May, 01st November

- BMW Munich Plant
Monday - Friday 8.30 am - 10 pm
Please note, that on Saturdays no guided tours of the plant are available.

BMW Welt:

http://www.bmw-welt.com/web/portal/e...x_highend.html

BMW Museum:

http://www.bmw-museum.de/2/webmill.php?fx=g&id=630322&

Hi All,

I have been meaning to go visit BMW’s Welt and their new Museum for a long, long time now. The last time I was there was back in 1995 and it was a little disappointing to say the least. Well… I am happy to report that BMW has a world class Museum for us Bimmer fans. The new Welt and Museum blew me away! Far exceeding what I was expecting. Even after seeing the place on German TV and seeing fellow forum threads on the place (Euro Delivery). I would encourage EVERYONE to go visit BMW’s Welt and Museum. It is THAT good!

I finally was able to go visit the Welt and Museum this past Saturday (June 19th, 2010). Along with a few other hundred people who did the same thing. Living in Germany DOES have its advantages. I was able to take my time and see the Welt and Museum on my time schedule.

I wanted to show everyone what the new Welt looks like. Not just the delivery area, but also the exhibits and the cars on display. I also wanted to show you what the building looks like from the inside. I do not believe anyone has shown photos of the Welt properly until now! Probably people were too busy with taking their ED, and over come with the new car lust. Not to mention car sensory overload! I had a bit if that too.

One real tasty bit was BMW had the #25 car, that won the 24 hours of Nuerburgring just two weeks before. It was covered in 1/2 a million bugs too. I loved it!!! Of course some people standing next to me said it was the car that was at LeMans last week… but one could clearly see the Zurich/Nuerburgring decal on the car’s doors! lol

Later at the museum heard one guy tell his date/GF that this car they were looking at was the car from “Back to the Future”. Well… the car “we” were looking at was an old BMW M1!!!! lol I turned to them and said… NO… this isn’t that car! Yeesh!

As for the museum, I wanted to see what all was inside. I wanted to see the cars - plain and simple. The whole museum is designed in an artful like way. The Museum had big rooms, and a clean modern theme throughout. I also liked that you could not see what was coming up next! With a big taste of cutting edge, Germanic architecture. I thought I was in heaven when I entered the room of //M cars… but then in the next room was all those old //M racers and I was just on M-overload! I loved the museum!

A couple of cool pointers and then I will cut to my photo essay. The Welt is really a place to come explore the BMW culture and brand. People come see the cars that ARE BMW. I noticed a lot of tourists came just to see what was inside the Welt. Some were Americans… but I also noted that there were quite a few Germans and even tourists from other countries. While I was there I saw three busses from, Poland, Russia and Japan. This place has a lot of pull! And there were lots of kids and families there too.

Enduro Motorad: Every day BMW has a stunt guy pilot his enduro motorcycle. Every day at 11am and 2pm, this guy blasts around inside the building. Its loud and it is a cool event! They guy even races up the steps to the 2nd mezaline level! The safety police would NEVER let this happen in the states. lol

There are two places to dine at. Down on the main floor is a snack bar. Sandwiches and drinks, nothing fancy, but decent fresh food. There is also a fancy restaurant up on the third floor. It looks over the entire Welt. Also downstairs there are bathrooms and some storage lockers that you can use to secure your belonging IF you head into the city zentrum or want to walk around without all your stuff.

One of my first impressions was the elevator that I took from the park haus. The elevator had GLASS doors! It was kind of cool. It gave you a sense that this ain’t any normal building. My next stop was the bathroom. I can safely say it was quite a nice design too. lol Much better than BMW’s public bathroom at their Leipzig factory(that one was sub par). But somehow BMW needs to get with McDonalds of Deutschland, bc McD’s has the most modern and cleanest looking bathrooms around by far! My next cool thing was to see these two robots that clean the floor on the main level. One speaks, or flashes English sayings(text) while the other one shows off it’s German! More JOY, propaganda. lol The futuristic architecture really looks better in person. Gives the building an edge, I would say. Cutting edge cars and building!

Actually my first impression was when an old couple from Allgau (I could tell from their German accent!) came rushing over (smiling) to me just as I parked my 135i. They were so excited and asked me IF my car was the TiAg(titian silver) color. I said yes… and that seemed to make their day! Made my day too!

Inside the Welt, all over the place, there are cars for people to sit in and “test” for themselves AND touch! There is also someone from BMW to answer any questions people might have, standing right next to every car.

I did feel kind of out of place at the Welt… to me it seemed like everyone was speaking English! lol I always find that odd when I am in Germany… and every German talks in English first! lol I think because most visitors are not of German speaking.

Another surprise I had was how many engines BMW had on display in their museum. After all their middle name IS motor… but they almost had as many engines as cars on display! Really cool for a motor head like myself to drool over. Especially all the //M motors.

Well… all in all it was a first class experience. I think my photos speak for themselves. I would encourage anyone to go visit BMW’s Welt & Museum!

Enjoy!
David

You can see all my 450 photos I took. And that was 450 after an edit downwards! lol I think a took 2K pics that day! I think it will be wel worth your time scrolling thru my pics – though!

http://s764.photobucket.com/albums/x...0and%20Museum/

Ok… onto the photos. On the day I went it was cold and raining… so here are a few pics of the outside of the museum from BMW website. I don’t think they will mind much.

And now for my photos…

This is what greets you while waiting for the elevator in the park haus garage.

One of the first cars I saw was this M3 GTS that won the 24 hours of Nuerburgring just two weeks earlier! Bugs and brake dust and war paint… gotta love it!

Dead bugs and all!

Check out those groves cut into the rotor surface!

JOY mop busters…

Beautiful header artwork…

5er GT…

New LCI angels…

The Gift Shop in der Welt…

Cars at the gift shop in the Museum…

Art car models…

A cool mural upstairs in the Gift Shop… I nearly forgot there was an upstairs to the Gift Shop!

Lots of goodies to buy!

Car care products by BMW…

Bottom shelf… BMW oils… (L – R) German Castrol (//M oil) 10w60, BMW full synthetic oils for turbo cars (0w40) and the semi synthetics for NA cars (5w30). Btw… the prices were (L –R): 21 euros, 23 euros & 19 euros! PER liter!!

Bicycles for sale… 500 to 1,500 euros!

3 cylinder hybrid study…

Globe chain reaction model...

123d coupe...

123d and 335i...

New LCI brighter halos… I like ‘em!

The white 3er gets 4.1 liters/100 kph or… 57 mpg!!!

Polizei motorad

7-er exclusive program...

Pick out some colors...

Lots of legroom…

//M3 cabrio…

98K euros for a M3 cab! Yikes!!

Snack bar

Enduro Motorad…

Don’t touch kids! Real live working bikes!!

Make way… Vrrrrrmmm…

He went up these steps!

…and back down! LOVE IT!!!

Engines… MMmmm… M5/6 V10

N52…

V8 gas…

V8 diesel…

Bread and Butter four pot banger gas...

BMW Classic…

And a soon to be new classic!

Direct Injection…

LOVE these wheels…

Upstairs there is a small coffee bar and another gift shop with books…

Pens…

A couple of bikes in the coffee bar…

Café bellow…

HEY… what is everyone looking at???

OoooOOoooo…

BMW HQ tower and museum across the street…

Factory building – BMW HQ tower – BMW Museum

The ramp down when you drive out from E.D.

SAV’s…

High end dining way upstairs…

I like the M-power dome on the hood!

New X1

The new FIVE…

The bridge over to the museum…

Factory building…

Employee entrance near U-bahn stop…

US spec M3 just taken delivery of… Mmmmm… I wonder IF this person is on this forum?

Bike you can try on…

BMW HQ and old Museum bowl

TV Tower (you can go up inside if you want too.) Olympiapark (they have concerts there now) and BMW Welt building.

BMW Welt…

The flat building in the foreground houses the new BMW Museum…

Ok… lets go to the museum now!!!

Take a deep breath… your (BMW) mind is about to be blown away!

Fussball welt meistershaft… wolrd champions in soccer!

Did you know BMW made scooters? I did not!

Too bad BMW never put these into production…

//M Café…

Got balls?

Computer controlled art work…

One of the first cars you see at the ticket desk…

A very cool design…

And then they had this little jewel! The M1 Hommage design study...

You walk on these gang ways… and you never quite know what’s coming at you! I liked the way the museum was laid out. Giving you glimpse of what is to come. The museum was teasing us as we walked thru it!

Where it all began… “Victoria Werk AG” aus Nuernberg.

A closer look at the motor…

Flug motor…

Parts truck…

More bikes…

Current M6 chassis hanging up on the wall!

Here you can peek into other rooms… of what’s to come!

1983 Brabham F1 car…

2005 F1 car… hung on the wall!

Then… they had a hallway filled with race motors of all types! I loved this!!

2005 F1 engine…

Checkout how tiny that clutch is!

P54 B20 race motor…

P60 B40

A thing of beauty to behold! P75

M12/13 motor… turbo four…

The money shot!

Half way thru the hallway of pure heaven!

M12/7

M49…

M10 2.0l four with 280 Hp!

Onto the next room…

Stack ‘em…

Room of Luxury…

Inside the room of firsts…

The classic 502…

Bikes…

493cc 108 Hp, 280 kph racer!!! WoW!

1-er with M wheels…

This side with V-spoke wheels...

Mock up interior…

1999 Z9 GT concept car…

Another room full of engines…

Wall full of Bikes…

Beautiful Red Coral interior…

The //M room…. Pure heaven!!

M3 CSL…

Engine sound tracks…

Renn autos…

The old bowl museum...

Art car from above…

The view from the M Café & Museum, looking at the Welt…

And finally the Welt at night… (internet photo)…

The End... Hope you enjoyed my little tour!

Last edited by Dackelone; 10-04-2010 at 06:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

Thanks for the pics!

I agree, the 850ci should have been made lol
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
Erik219
Statistical Consultancy (Medical / Pharma)
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 6 GT

thaaaaaaaaaanks man, great collection of pictures.....
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
jhuber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

great stuff man! Ive been to Munich a few times this year for random stuff and always told the wifey we need to stop here! thanks to you I think I saw more in the pics than I would have there!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Thank you for posting these pictures! I'm going to be there in 2 weeks for my ED and was originally going to skip the museum but you've changed my mind. What an amazing place!
      06-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Great pics. Nice red Back-to-the-Future car.
      06-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Fantastic collection of pics. Lot's of great models in the gift shop as well!

We don't have any museums in the US...

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My E90 View Post
Thank you for posting these pictures! I'm going to be there in 2 weeks for my ED and was originally going to skip the museum but you've changed my mind. What an amazing place!
You could spend all day at both places. I was always finding stuff I did not see the first tour around walking and oggling at the cars. I think I spent five hours between the museum and welt.

I was kind of in a hurry... bc I also wanted to go to the Deutsches Vehrkehr (Traffic/Car) Museum near by on the U-bahn. I will post those pics in a few days! lol

I would also suggest going to downtown Munich for some quiet time. Shopping or Cafes, or beer halls. There is even a VERY nice park near by the center of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Fantastic collection of pics. Lot's of great models in the gift shop as well!

We don't have any museums in the US...

ianc
Hi Ian, Actually BMW has a decent museum in Spartenburg, SC. Kind of a mini version of their old "bowl" museum in Munich. Maybe thirty cars and bikes? It was small but nice. It has been many years since I was there.

On the West coast... I once went to a really cool museum in Danville, CA. Blackhawk Museum. It was VERY nice. All high end luxu cars.

http://www.blackhawkmuseum.org/

And there is always the Peterson Museum in Los Angeles, CA.

bye,
David
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Great pics, I felt like I got a tour as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #10
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Outstanding photographs - thanks, Dackelone.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #11
DTM-R13
Banned
Rep
Drives: A4 S-Line quattro Titanium

Great pics, when I was there in 07 it wasn't built yet. Munich is pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #12
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing. They bring back memories of my Euro Delivery trip two years ago. Unfortunately, the museum was closed for expansion at the time.
      06-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #13
avsbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

I was at the delivery center and museum the first week of June and the M3 GTS was spotless so it is cool to see it after a race! When we showed up there was a guy riding the motorcycle up and down the stairs in the delivery center it was pretty wild.

I was not picking up a car just on vacation and stayed a couple of days in Munich.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #14
dunny
BMW/Mopar Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Great photos! I can't believe it has been 10 months since I was there I live for the day that I return to pick up my next BMW....
'20 X3M / '09 135i M-Sport / '91 318i
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #15
NL-J
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Wow, great write-up and photos! Thanks for sharing, a visit there will be on my to do list! Base price for the M3 vert was not even that expensive, I believe base price for an M3 coupe is 112k here Stupid taxes

Did I see a 318i convertible there, the one next to the 1 convertible? I thought the base model was a 320i, did they add the 318i after the facelift? Or have I been sleeping lol

Oh btw got more pics of the girls at the engine sound tracks lol?
      06-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #16
madman23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40, 1988 325 IX

Those pictures and that museum is insane. It must have been hard not to fap you way through especially the motor rooms. Oh man, I would have went insane.
      06-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #17
bsd damon
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Great pics - you must have photographed every inch of both the Welt and the Museum. Thanks for the memories!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #18
teezee
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, E46 325iT

I was just there 3 weeks ago and this was as close to a real visit as you can get! Surprised someone didn't inquire as to why you were documenting every square inch of the place. Thanks for taking the time to post all the images- ausgezeichnet!

2011 E89 Z4 M Sport (Euro Delivery, Performance Center redelivery), Extended Nappa leather, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust
2003 E46 325i Touring
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #19
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

This should be a sticky
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #20
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd damon View Post
Great pics - you must have photographed every inch of both the Welt and the Museum. Thanks for the memories!
LOL, indeed Dack covered just about every possible angle! I was there in the last week of November 2009, and on my delivery date, Nov 25th, Munich had the warmest day in folks' memory (as I was told). Here are a couple of my shots with a bit of different perspective. What an awesome experience!

[I had a few more shots, but those fine bimmerfest servers choked as they're wont to do. I think Dack broke 'em. ]

pge
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #21
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennislaw View Post
LOL, indeed Dack covered just about every possible angle! I was there in the last week of November 2009, and on my delivery date, Nov 25th, Munich had the warmest day in folks' memory (as I was told). Here are a couple of my shots with a bit of different perspective. What an awesome experience!

[I had a few more shots, but those fine bimmerfest servers choked as they're wont to do. I think Dack broke 'em. ]

pge
HAHhaha... yea... I was wondering what the photo posting limit was!?!?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #22
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Wow... Looks great..

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0