BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-26-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

PYSPEED Carbon Fiber Interior Wrap Review

So, I was planning to wait until I finished completely, but to be honest, removing the center ashtray is such a pain in the butt. I tried, stopped 1/2 way through, gave up, and I decided that I will either A) leave it alone, or B) try to just tape around the ashtray, give it a spray, vinyl it, use an exacto and call it a day. Since the ashtray slides open, I guess I don't really need to remove it, although it is probably best to do so.

Remember, this is fabric, not the 3m vinyl.

Anyways, here is my review

Short Review: Overall easy to do and low on the bucks(30 dollars). Great mod to improve interior!

Normal Review:

This is really my first mod done to my car on the inside aside from intake. I am HORRIBLE at arts and crafts, so I am surprised it turned out this well which means that anyone can do it!

Quality is top notch, but as everyone else says, I would order 2 yards, I ordered 1 and barely fit, but I made a small error I have to live with for a bit.

Also, be careful removing and inserting trim pieces because I snapped too many clips when mostly inserting the trims back in and my passenger side trim piece doesn't sit flush. I found removing it to be easy, but putting it back in was another pain in the booty.

Overall it it pretty easy to do. Just make sure you have it all facing the correct way, spray, put on top, and pull. Be sure to use enough, and cut AFTER u place it on the fabric. I accidentally pre cut all the pieces before placing them on, and I somehow managed to cut one piece to small, and because of stretching it so much to make it fit, the edge is now beginning to rip. I can't do much because the material I have left is not enough because I happened to do it on the long wide piece. 1 yard is enough for all the pieces and more, but you basically get 1 try with the long piece, while there is enough fabric to redo any of the other pieces.

I ordered the matte black! I like it a lot, reminds me of my dad's E92 M3 carbon interior leather, and it contrasts well with my lighter interior. They have various color options .

What I liked about the matte option is that it is both slightly shiny but matte at the same time. At night it looks awesome, and in the sun it has a slight shimmer that really lets you see the pattern, but is not intrusive in any way. I saw some pictures of the shiny normal black carbon fiber and in the pictures it was too glossy for me.

and now for the pictures!
EDIT: The first ones I took after installing it. If you are messy like me, then some glue gets on the fabric and it causes it to look ghostly/not shiny. I just used some alcohol wipes to clean it and it looks better. You can't really tell its dirty except in the close up of the shifter one.

If you guys have any questions or need help or anything feel free to ask on here. I don't really know how to remove the ashtray, it got too confusing/not worth the hassle of maybe breaking something for me.

Last edited by Greenkirby21; 10-26-2010 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: added content
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
BahamaBart
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

you need to do the ashtray area - looks incomplete but like the look you going for.
Exterior Bling| Kerscher splitter |
Interior Bling | Bimmian pedals | 3P Cars gauage |
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
lavman
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 montego 135 cpe

i agree about the ashtray. there are too many colors in the car. the beige isn't going to change but the ashtray can. i'd enlist professional help if needed. oh, and you may be able to ask about getting the steering wheel (the plastic part that surrounds the buttons and looks like the letter "u") done in carbon fiber too.
'11 montego 135i 6mt/blk leather/msport/conv/prem/value/hk/heated/sirius/nav/bmwperf grills,skirts,shrtshft, cfspoiler,pedals/tint/cfsplitters/dinoc int trim incl steering wheel/best front plate mount ever
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

I am sure you know this but in order to remove the ashtray surround you have to remove the center console. The ashtray cover is a 2-piece design I think, and you have to carefully split the top cover from the bottom to do the wrap.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

alright guys you have convinced me this thursday I shall finish it(the ashtray). Not sure about the steering wheel, feeling like it might be too much, I might wrap the silver part of the steering wheel in CF however.

edit: reason why i didn't do the ashtray, I was following the DIY and it says to remove the parking brake boot, and I tried pulling and pulling but nothing would come out! Any advice?
      11-01-2010, 01:45 AM   #6
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Lovin the contrast with the Terra. My bro has the same thing in his 535i. And, yes, the ashtray was a bitch to do. I wanna redo mine.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0