BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Hopefully A New, To Me, 135i This Weekend

I am dead set on purchasing a 2011 or 2012 BMW 135i this weekend. I have always been a BMW guy at heart but, oddly, never owned one. Now is the time to change that, I believe. Got my heart set on a White with Red/Aluminum interior 2012 with M-Tech package and fully loaded (Nav, HK, etc) at Momentum BMW in Houston. Waiting on pictures of the possible second option, a 2011 Silver one from Advantage BMW in Clear Lake. Taking off after work tomorrow with a good friend of mine to go trade in my current car. Looking forward to joining the BMW community here and learning all I can.

That said, I am a European car enthusiast. I have a pretty broad knowledge of BMW and been behind the wheel of many. Ready to dive deeper.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
Rob Daman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

good luck. post pics when you get it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
2.0tfsi -> n55 = no comparison
      04-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Heading out this evening to spend a leisurely evening in Houston before hitting the dealer tomorrow. One last hurrah in my A3. It is a pretty fun car to drive with the modifications I have made. It has been enough to surprise more than a few stock 135i and 335i owners (among others). It's all OEM+ modded, so most can't tell there's more than meets the eye when they see it. I don't have nearly as grand of modding plans for this car as I did my A3 (mostly because with a turbo and a 6 cyl. there's no real need). My mods, by comparison to other Audi FSI and TFSI engines, were "cheap" to get the HP I wanted out of it. The 135i I plan to purchase will get a Cobb Stage 1+ package, a LSD, ditch the run-flats, and maybe a wheel swap much later on. That's it. I just plan to enjoy it after that.

I, officially, have two options (got the pics of the Silver one back from Advantage in Clear Lake). Still shooting for the white one as the silver lacks heated seats (which I VERY much like to have), aluminum trim (has wood trim, but seat color is not a deal breaker by any means), and the HK option (not nearly as important to me as I believe stock Premium sound with a sub added would be sufficient for me). Mostly going to use the lower price and only slightly higher mileage of the silver one for leverage in negotiations for the white one. Both are CPO cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Heading out this evening to spend a leisurely evening in Houston before hitting the dealer tomorrow. One last hurrah in my A3. It is a pretty fun car to drive with the modifications I have made. It has been enough to surprise more than a few stock 135i and 335i owners (among others). It's all OEM+ modded, so most can't tell there's more than meets the eye when they see it. I don't have nearly as grand of modding plans for this car as I did my A3 (mostly because with a turbo and a 6 cyl. there's no real need). My mods, by comparison to other Audi FSI and TFSI engines, were "cheap" to get the HP I wanted out of it. The 135i I plan to purchase will get a Cobb Stage 1+ package, a LSD, ditch the run-flats, and maybe a wheel swap much later on. That's it. I just plan to enjoy it after that.

I, officially, have two options (got the pics of the Silver one back from Advantage in Clear Lake). Still shooting for the white one as the silver lacks heated seats (which I VERY much like to have), aluminum trim (has wood trim, but seat color is not a deal breaker by any means), and the HK option (not nearly as important to me as I believe stock Premium sound with a sub added would be sufficient for me). Mostly going to use the lower price and only slightly higher mileage of the silver one for leverage in negotiations for the white one. Both are CPO cars.
Good luck with BMW shopping tomorrow! I took a look at both cars online. I personally would be leaning towards the white w/red car... it has lower miles, the M sport package (I love the M sport steering wheel), the upgraded wheels, HK stereo, heated seats, and you won't be stuck with the "sea of grey" interior.

Let us know how it all turns out!

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

I got it! Only 26,600 miles on her. Forgive the iPhone pics I took real quick in the parking garage this morning. I'll get some better pics up soon. So far on the way are: new black "BMW" license plate frame, //M Valve stem caps for the wheels, and sport pedals. I also placed an order with BimmerTech to get my SAT radio activated. I'm, hopefully, going to get most of that money back from the various Audi shit I am selling off on other forums right now. So far already made $200 of it back.

Anyway, also already hardwired the radar detector. Thanks to a quick search on this forum, that was over and done with in about 30 mins. Hopefully going to get the windows tinted on Friday.

Last edited by davis449; 04-21-2014 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #7
Rob Daman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

congrats. looks great. loving that red interior.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #8
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks. I bought this car for what I DON'T have to do to it. I've spent a lot of time and money over the last 7 years modifying two Audi's. It was fun while it lasted, but this time around I needed a change. I am just tired of doing it. I went all out for the M Sport so I don't have any body work. The only interior thing I want is the pedals, so that's why they're on order (plus the few nit picky things). Other than that, I like the stock ride height and the stock handling. I really don't want to mess with what I consider to be more than enjoyable. Performance wise I am planning a Cobb Stage 1+ and that's it. I am going to leave it stock for at least 2-3 mos. while I adjust my driving style to suit RWD (I am used to AWD). I like the exhaust and see no need to change it. I went for a car with HK because I am SO tired of fucking around with car audio. The iDrive with the HK is more than sufficient for me. Overall, very happy with my purchase!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #9
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Congratulations! Looks like a nice clean car. Love the color combination.

I may have been not paying attention in class, but does Cobb offer a tune for the 2012 N55?

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:00 PM   #10
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Thanks. I bought this car for what I DON'T have to do to it. I've spent a lot of time and money over the last 7 years modifying two Audi's. It was fun while it lasted, but this time around I needed a change. I am just tired of doing it. I went all out for the M Sport so I don't have any body work. The only interior thing I want is the pedals, so that's why they're on order (plus the few nit picky things). Other than that, I like the stock ride height and the stock handling. I really don't want to mess with what I consider to be more than enjoyable. Performance wise I am planning a Cobb Stage 1+ and that's it. I am going to leave it stock for at least 2-3 mos. while I adjust my driving style to suit RWD (I am used to AWD). I like the exhaust and see no need to change it. I went for a car with HK because I am SO tired of fucking around with car audio. The iDrive with the HK is more than sufficient for me. Overall, very happy with my purchase!
Congrats! Looks good. Which pedals are you going with? I personally love the BMW Stainless Steel ones that match the stainless dead pedal and are about $120, but not sure if that's what you ordered.

Also, I had bimmertech do my sirius as well, so guess you didn't have the premium package? They did a great job and I had them do a few other lil coding things as well that you may want to ask about while you wait for the OBD thingy. I got the digital speedo (though it's a lil dinky with the DCT compared to 6MT) and had them disable that idrive warning every time I started the car. Was only a few bucks more and figured they were already in my car's computer anyways and took all of 2 more minutes to do. Enjoy, and I will say though, that the stock exhaust sounds good, but man, the BMW Performance Exhaust makes it sound like an exotic beast, so you may want to consider that one day down the road perhaps. Never been an exhaust person myself, but it's so worth it on these. So many people on here get it, and seemingly never listen to their radios or music again! Just windows down and listening to that exhaust. I still like blasting my music via the HK though.

Enjoy and welcome to the club.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:16 PM   #11
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
OP, I agree with Greg. When you can, get the BMW Performance Exhaust. The snarly pops and grumbles it makes coming down from boost all the while slowing down to a red light will make all heads turn! Just imagine all the R & D and money well spent that BMW did to get that PE's grumble just right.

I will never change out my PE no matter how bad I want a Quad exhaust.

PS: Welcome to the club.
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler

Last edited by Chunner; 04-21-2014 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: PS
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #12
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMsport View Post
Congratulations! Looks like a nice clean car. Love the color combination.

I may have been not paying attention in class, but does Cobb offer a tune for the 2012 N55?
Thank you very much. I really like the interior a lot.

Yes, Cobb offers a N55 tune: http://www.cobbtuning.com/bmw-135i-2011-s/70828.htm
I think they have a map for the 2012 N55, I will have to check. Worst case scenario, I can probably get a "custom" (meaning they will program me one on the fly) from ESS Tuning.

Quote:
Congrats! Looks good. Which pedals are you going with? I personally love the BMW Stainless Steel ones that match the stainless dead pedal and are about $120, but not sure if that's what you ordered.

Also, I had bimmertech do my sirius as well, so guess you didn't have the premium package? They did a great job and I had them do a few other lil coding things as well that you may want to ask about while you wait for the OBD thingy. I got the digital speedo (though it's a lil dinky with the DCT compared to 6MT) and had them disable that idrive warning every time I started the car. Was only a few bucks more and figured they were already in my car's computer anyways and took all of 2 more minutes to do. Enjoy, and I will say though, that the stock exhaust sounds good, but man, the BMW Performance Exhaust makes it sound like an exotic beast, so you may want to consider that one day down the road perhaps. Never been an exhaust person myself, but it's so worth it on these. So many people on here get it, and seemingly never listen to their radios or music again! Just windows down and listening to that exhaust. I still like blasting my music via the HK though.

Enjoy and welcome to the club.
Quote:
OP, I agree with Greg. When you can, get the BMW Performance Exhaust. The snarly pops and grumbles it makes coming down from boost all the while slowing down to a red light will make all heads turn! Just imagine all the R & D and money well spent that BMW did to get that PE's grumble just right.

I will never change out my PE no matter how bad I want a Quad exhaust.

PS: Welcome to the club.
I went with these from Bavarian Autosport:

I have a shop that can do the coding for the chime, speedo, etc. Anything I want. That said, the only thing they can't do is the SAT radio. That's why I am having BimmerTech do that one. What exactly is it that the "Premium Package includes that I don't already have? I am asking out of shear ignorance here. I am trying to figure out what could possibly be missing options wise in this car for me to NOT have SAT radio enabled. Anything you guys can do to enlighten me here?

I will consider doing the BMW Performance exhaust in the future after I go hunt down some sound clips of it. I just don't want to get all stupid with this car like I have my previous ones. The wheels I might get later will be done when the tires go (and right now, at least the fronts, are brand new RE050's), if at all. That's because I can get VERY good deals on AG Wheels and VMR to make the cost very reasonable at whatever time that may occur.

Last edited by davis449; 04-22-2014 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #13
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
I went with these from Bavarian Autosport:

I have a shop that can do the coding for the chime, speedo, etc. Anything I want. That said, the only thing they can't do is the SAT radio. That's why I am having BimmerTech do that one. What exactly is it that the "Premium Package includes that I don't already have? I am asking out of shear ignorance here. I am trying to figure out what could possibly be missing options wise in this car for me to NOT have SAT radio enabled. Anything you guys can do to enlighten me here?

I will consider doing the BMW Performance exhaust in the future after I go hunt down some sound clips of it. I just don't want to get all stupid with this car like I have my previous ones. The wheels I might get later will be done when the tires go (and right now, at least the fronts, are brand new RE050's), if at all. That's because I can get VERY good deals on AG Wheels and VMR to make the cost very reasonable at whatever time that may occur.
Oh good, the pedals you got ARE the BMW Stainless Steel ones I have and was referring to. You have good taste. =P

Do you have the window sticker for the car? Probably not if bought from a dealer I suppose. You should look up one of those VIN decoders online or on this site where you can pop your VIN in and it'll show everything your car came with from the factory.

So, you don't see a SATELLITE option on the idrive menu when you go to the radio menu? That's how I know you likely don't have the premium package. Premium package includes - leather, comfort access keyless thingy, universal garage door opener built into the rearview mirror, 1 year of satellite radio, and some lil exterior lighting in the door handles. You can get leather seats as a stand alone like $1450 option though, so leather alone doesn't mean it has the premium package. But, BMW apparently are jerks and while it seems the premium package just means you get a year of pre-paid sirius, the truth is if you don't get the premium package the darn sirius won't even show up on the menu and the dealer will try to charge you $500+ to simply unlock it, even though it's pre-wired and ready to go. Jerks. Granted, 95% of their cars have the premium package on the lots, so it rarely comes up as an issue, but sure pissed me off.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #14
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Oh good, the pedals you got ARE the BMW Stainless Steel ones I have and was referring to. You have good taste. =P

Do you have the window sticker for the car? Probably not if bought from a dealer I suppose. You should look up one of those VIN decoders online or on this site where you can pop your VIN in and it'll show everything your car came with from the factory.

So, you don't see a SATELLITE option on the idrive menu when you go to the radio menu? That's how I know you likely don't have the premium package. Premium package includes - leather, comfort access keyless thingy, universal garage door opener built into the rearview mirror, 1 year of satellite radio, and some lil exterior lighting in the door handles. You can get leather seats as a stand alone like $1450 option though, so leather alone doesn't mean it has the premium package. But, BMW apparently are jerks and while it seems the premium package just means you get a year of pre-paid sirius, the truth is if you don't get the premium package the darn sirius won't even show up on the menu and the dealer will try to charge you $500+ to simply unlock it, even though it's pre-wired and ready to go. Jerks. Granted, 95% of their cars have the premium package on the lots, so it rarely comes up as an issue, but sure pissed me off.
Thanks! Go check out my intro thread in our General Discussion forum here and you will see I am an OEM+ guy.

On the latter subject, I do have the original sticker for the car. I need to go take a close look at it. Here's the kicker. I have ALL of those options EXCEPT the convenience key and the damn SAT radio (doesn't show up in iDrive). I did check the VIN through a decoder in order to determine what I needed to know before purchasing unlock through BimmerTech. It is equipped with prewire so it can just be unlocked.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #15
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! Go check out my intro thread in our General Discussion forum here and you will see I am an OEM+ guy.

On the latter subject, I do have the original sticker for the car. I need to go take a close look at it. Here's the kicker. I have ALL of those options EXCEPT the convenience key and the damn SAT radio (doesn't show up in iDrive). I did check the VIN through a decoder in order to determine what I needed to know before purchasing unlock through BimmerTech. It is equipped with prewire so it can just be unlocked.
Interesting. When you go to put those pedals on, assuming you're doing it yourself, they can be a real bitch for the brake pedal and just be careful as I know one person who chipped a tiny corner piece of the black plastic on his brake pedal squeezing/fitting the metal around it.

I know for one period of time, BMW was offering some "value package" which was free leather and USB/Ipod thing I believe, so that may be what you see on the sticker. I think all the cars post 2009 come pre-wired for satellite, so to have to pay a dealer or otherwise to simply unlock it on the menu is ridiculous. I wasn't going to reward that behavior but bimmertech was highly recommended and I was addicted to Sirius after my S5, so got it.

The before and afters with those pedals are pretty remarkable and I've actually gotten compliments on my pedals of all things from people, which is odd. Now enjoy the hell out of it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #16
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Location: Milky Way, Earth, North America, Arizona more specifically.

OP - Congrats and welcome! Great color combo too. Seeing as you have gone down the "modding" path before, and for now are a little "tired" of it... well, ha ha, just give it some time

For what it's worth, the BMWP exhaust is cool for sure, but don't neglect to take a look into the AFE exhaust as well. If I had to pick a SINGLE change that transfomed the all around enjoyment of my own car the most, that would be it for me.

"Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak".
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #17
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllwwgn View Post
OP - Congrats and welcome! Great color combo too. Seeing as you have gone down the "modding" path before, and for now are a little "tired" of it... well, ha ha, just give it some time

For what it's worth, the BMWP exhaust is cool for sure, but don't neglect to take a look into the AFE exhaust as well. If I had to pick a SINGLE change that transfomed the all around enjoyment of my own car the most, that would be it for me.
To be honest, I'm just looking to avoid the LONG list of mods that my other cars had. This one just won't require that much to get out of it what I expect.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #18
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
To be honest, I'm just looking to avoid the LONG list of mods that my other cars had. This one just won't require that much to get out of it what I expect.
I agree, that was EXACTLY my plan as well. I had wheels off my old e46, so I just transplanted those. I wasn't planning on doing ANY mods at all in fact... but the stock exhaust was just SOOO quiet. The BMWP or AFE "wakes" it up some, but is far from sounding too aftermarket... could have just been factory. Otherwise a diffuser here, a lip there... simple add-ons, and for the most part done. I have a set of KW's I need to install, but otherwsie for me, the car is done. Yeah, I think the car in stock form is alot more "complete", than any of my previous cars.

"Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak".
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #19
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree, that was EXACTLY my plan as well. I had wheels off my old e46, so I just transplanted those. I wasn't planning on doing ANY mods at all in fact... but the stock exhaust was just SOOO quiet. The BMWP or AFE "wakes" it up some, but is far from sounding too aftermarket... could have just been factory. Otherwise a diffuser here, a lip there... simple add-ons, and for the most part done. I have a set of KW's I need to install, but otherwsie for me, the car is done. Yeah, I think the car in stock form is alot more "complete", than any of my previous cars.
Believe it or not, the suspension is what I really want to leave the hell alone in this car. I'm tire of being "low". I want to be able to drive the damn car. That said, I do see M3 control arms in my future, but that's about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #20
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Believe it or not, the suspension is what I really want to leave the hell alone in this car. I'm tire of being "low". I want to be able to drive the damn car. That said, I do see M3 control arms in my future, but that's about it.
Sounds good man, I agree... the KW's I actually bought to MAYBE lower the car about 10-15 mm at most, I just missed the handling of my e46 too much, so really they are for the spring rates and damping, and not for ride height. Anyway man, good luck and enjoy your new ride!

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #21
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good man, I agree... the KW's I actually bought to MAYBE lower the car about 10-15 mm at most, I just missed the handling of my e46 too much, so really they are for the spring rates and damping, and not for ride height. Anyway man, good luck and enjoy your new ride!
I most certainly will. This is going to be a great adventure for me. I've driven this thing with an ear-to-ear grin everyday I've had it. I just enjoy being a car enthusiast.
Appreciate 0