E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > brake problems?

12-22-2005, 11:53 PM   #1
Dani
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I Graphite

brake problems?

I had a bit of a fender bender today where I rear ended another car. Someone told me other people have been having trouble with their brakes working properly on E90s.
If anyone has had any trouble at all with the brakes on their E90 or heard of anyone else having trouble please let me know.

Thanks

just so you all know I only made this post because someone suggested I do it and everyone was so rude answering I didn't visit this forum again for quite some time. Just thought I'd add that in case anyone is ever inclined to read this thread again....

Last edited by Dani; 05-26-2006 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 12:46 AM   #2
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

nope, pretty much you're fault

E90 has pretty good brakes, if you were paying attention you would have been able to stop intime
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 01:09 AM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

No problems listed here that could cause a accident
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 02:17 AM   #4
Dante
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 / F31 330d

Garage List
Were you driving in snowy /icey road conditions?

When there is salt on wet roads, it gets onto your brake discs. Salt produces a slight lubricating film on the discs which decreases brake power.

Got me into some tricky situations on the autobahn so far!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 04:08 AM   #5
E90
Bemuri
Rep
Drives: 2013/320i AxDrive Alpine White

No problem here.The breaks are really gooood.
Alpine Weiss 320i,(man)sport package,17"Breyton Inspiration wheels,through load system,proff radio,hifi speakers,bi-xenons,auto air-condition,alarm,light package,pdc,rainsensor,cruise control,cup holders,heated seats,headlamp washers,tinted windows rear,Ac-Schnitzer aluminium pedals.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 05:50 AM   #6
eloso5
Enlisted Member
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Jet Black

You should know for yourself if it was your fault or not. If you would have had a brake failure at the time of the accident you should already know this. You should not have to ask.
      12-23-2005, 06:10 AM   #7
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

in fact the brakes are so efficient that i fear being rear ended myself.

best and only way to truly minimise the risk of rear ending someone is to keep your distance to the vehicle in front of you to a safe distance. put lots of road between the 2 of you. that's what i do all the time.

no problem with my superb brakes.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 06:31 AM   #8
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Donīt go looking for excuses....
      12-23-2005, 07:19 AM   #9
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
nope, pretty much you're fault

E90 has pretty good brakes, if you were paying attention you would have been able to stop intime

I agree..99% of the time the driver doesn't either leave enough room OR doesn't know how to panic stop.

I seriously suggest those of you don't know what I'm talking about take their E90's out on a deserted straight road, bring the car up to about 40-45 mph and then brake as hard and fast as you can. I mean, try to push the brake pedal through the floor. THAT is how you're supposed to stop (unless you're on ice of course).

You'll hear all sorts of grinding sounds and brake pedal will vibrate. It's called ABS. :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 07:21 AM   #10
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia
in fact the brakes are so efficient that i fear being rear ended myself.
I feel that way too, specially seeing as some of the cars here are really old and broken.

It's like woohoo, they'll see my adaptive brake lights, and instincively brake harder - which will send them into a skid right into my ass.

Ahhh...as an advanced driving instructor once told me...chose the car behind you not the car infront. You know you can stop...but can the guy behind you?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 07:52 AM   #11
BMW Enthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: 99 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani
I had a bit of a fender bender today where I rear ended another car. Didn't know how it could happen like that under normal conditions but someone told me other people have been having trouble with their brakes working properly on E90s.
If anyone has had any trouble at all with the brakes on their E90 or heard of anyone else having trouble please let me know. If there is a problem that's not my fault that caused this accident I'd really like to know.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 08:08 AM   #12
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Quote:
I had a bit of a fender bender today where I rear ended another car. Didn't know how it could happen like that under normal conditions but someone told me other people have been having trouble with their brakes working properly on E90s.
If anyone has had any trouble at all with the brakes on their E90 or heard of anyone else having trouble please let me know. If there is a problem that's not my fault that caused this accident I'd really like to know.

Thanks
My brakes saved me from rear ending two vehicles one day:
1. One guy braked and had faulty left brake light, missed him by a yard.
2. Another driver infront of me while both of us making a left merge suddenly brake coz of the car in front of him stop, causing me to slam my brake so hard, I heard grinding and popping sounds of the ABS system, literally missed the car infront by inches.
BRAKES WORKS!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 08:54 AM   #13
Dani
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I Graphite

you know, I used to really like this message board because people were very friendly and helpful and now I think most of you are just a bunch of asses.
I thought my E90 had great brakes too until I hit somone. The accident was a bit of a blur afterward, I wasn't driving especially fast or close or doing any of the agressive things I sometimes do so it was quite suprising.
When someone told me that they heard about a brake problem some people were having - something to do with the brakes not engaging right - I thought I should at least find out about it. I don't need a whole bunch of people telling me there is not a problem because YOU haven't had an issue with yours; not helpful, just obnoxious.
Guess I'm not coming back to this message board any more and thats a shame because I used to like it a lot. Learn to be nice people.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 09:01 AM   #14
ashecnc
In the delivery business :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i Jet Black/Black

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
My brakes work really good, I've almost thrown myself out the window, but luckily, I was belted in

Born 10/05 '06 325i Jet Black, Black, Sport Package, Xenon's, Heated Seats & Power, Sat. Prep, Rear Spoiler, Chrome Tips, Blacklines, Chrome Grills, 19" M5 wheels NO MORE run flats, drives like a dream now
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 09:03 AM   #15
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
you know, I used to really like this message board because people were very friendly and helpful and now I think most of you are just a bunch of asses.
I thought my E90 had great brakes too until I hit somone. The accident was a bit of a blur afterward, I wasn't driving especially fast or close or doing any of the agressive things I sometimes do so it was quite suprising.
When someone told me that they heard about a brake problem some people were having - something to do with the brakes not engaging right - I thought I should at least find out about it. I don't need a whole bunch of people telling me there is not a problem because YOU haven't had an issue with yours; not helpful, just obnoxious.
Guess I'm not coming back to this message board any more and thats a shame because I used to like it a lot. Learn to be nice people.
The responses you got were because of the way your phrased your origional post.

The chances are most likely that you were concerntrating on something else, and didn't brake.
If there was a brake problem - you would have had an "OMG my brakes aren't working" moment.

You tried to blame your accident on the car, of which everyone said theirs didn't and they didn't have a problem. We understand you are upset - and are looking for ways to comfort yourself. Just take a breath.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 09:04 AM   #16
ek9hatch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

I'll have to agree with you here...i've learned that more people on this forum are overly proud to own a bmw and act like they're the best because of that...for me..its just another 3 series..there are many better cars out there.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 09:30 AM   #17
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
The responses you got were because of the way your phrased your origional post.

The chances are most likely that you were concerntrating on something else, and didn't brake.
If there was a brake problem - you would have had an "OMG my brakes aren't working" moment.

You tried to blame your accident on the car, of which everyone said theirs didn't and they didn't have a problem. We understand you are upset - and are looking for ways to comfort yourself. Just take a breath.

Chances of a brake failure that would cause an accident such as yours are about as slim as the wings on a Boeing falling off. It happens, but so rarely, it really is useless looking into the possibility just because you hit someone.
Car brakes are the most carefully constructed, most conservatively designed and best taken care off component of any new car. Nothing works more reliably on a car than the brakes. Just the tought of brake failures makes car manufacturers sweat, loose all sleep and makes stock values crash.

Thatīs why your request got flamed. It sounds like whining. And your last response just made it worse.

Buuuhhuuuuh. Bad board!
      12-23-2005, 10:08 AM   #18
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashecnc
My brakes work really good, I've almost thrown myself out the window, but luckily, I was belted in

I envy you Ashecnc. I grew up in WNC, and there are some unbelievable roads up there that seem as if they were built for our bimmers.

I know folks..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 10:15 AM   #19
kal-el
son of Jor-el
United_States
Rep
Drives: I fly

Garage List
2005 X3  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325  [0.00]
2006 325  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks
sorry about the accident, but so far I haven't had any problem with the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 10:18 AM   #20
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

If the brakes failed that would mean that there was a hydraulic leak somewhere in a line. If that happened then your car wouldn't be braking at all after that. On top of that, all cars built within the last 20 years or so have cross-connected brake lines where the right-front brake is tied in with the left-rear brake, with the opposite setup on the other side. If one of your hydraulic lines failed, you would still have the other cross-connected side. Plus, the minute you did have a hydraulic leak the car would give you a nice danger chime telling you that your brake system has no fluid. To answer your question: These days here is no such thing as a 'temporary' brake failure. There is just too much redundancy and safety built into them.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 10:48 AM   #21
tiga901
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i, mt pp sp

Rear enders unless are 100% your fault...that's just the way it works unless you could prove conclusively that your brake failed. Brakes do not fail intermittently, they are either good or bad. The new e90 has one of the better brakes in cars and there is no defect or recall that you can bank on.

Morale of the story, keep a safe braking distance to the car in front of you!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 11:57 AM   #22
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

OK now I was talking to my boyfriend the other day about my brakes. This is my opinion.

When I'm in a parking lot or going about 40-0 they are fine, a little touchy.
When I am stopping from 50-0 or greater (which I do often because the speed limit is 50 mph around here and there are tons of stop lights) I feel like I really have to get on the brakes before it stops. Many times I feel like I'm just trying to stop normally and it takes way too long so I have to slam on them, creating a very scary braking situation from what should be just a normal braking situation.

So after talking about this with my boyfriend he said he didn't understand what I meant, and then I realized perhaps it is the way the pedal must be pressed. I have very small feet and the angle that you have to get on the brake is horrible for me (near impossible with heels) so maybe I think that I am hitting the brakes a lot but I am not in reality so then I slam them last second because I didn't think they were working. If that is the case then wow that stinks because I can't change how big my foot is (size 4 1/2 in woman's shoes)...this also reminds me of the clutch thread we had about how short people's feet don't touch the floor. Thoughts?

Appreciate 0