BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-22-2008, 12:19 PM   #23
PaulUK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Its confusing me, why does it transfer the track names to the idrive?? It doesnt transfer the tracks, I wonder if its just to speed up the menus?

The idrive must have a small hard drive if it can only remember 20,000 track names.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 12:55 PM   #24
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUK36 View Post
Heres a scan of some of the info from the owners manual. Theres a 20,000 song limit. Not sure how many GB that is!
20,000 songs is roughly:

@ 128K MP3/AAC = 80GB
@ 320K MP3/AAC = 250GB
@ 800K lossless (cd quality) = 500GB

Using about 4 minutes for an average track, which might be a little on the short side depending on your audio collection.

FWIW on my friends car system I can't distiguish between 320KBps and lossless, but on my home stereo I can if I hear them one after the other, but the difference is small and only in certain parts. If I hear something for the first time, I can't tell right away even on my home stereo if it is 320 vs. lossless.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #25
malves85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

There is the:
Ipod and USB adapter for $400
Ipod Interface adapter for $320

Im not getting the Nav system so I wont have a nice screen to use. Anyone with the ipod and no nav want to tell me how they view songs and navigate? I ordered my car but have a week or so to change it. What exactly do these options do? Is the interface adapter just for the nav system? I also have an 8gig flash drive with all my songs on it. What do you think would be easier to use?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #26
The 1
TT > i-vtec
Rep
Drives:

I just learned on my test drive today that the iDrive also plays video files from your iPod or usb device. That's so awesome! Although it's illegal, I have a Pioneer avic DIN and set it up to play video while I drive. I know what you will all say. It's not the safest idea, but it sure does help when I'm stuck in stop and go traffic for an hour.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 10:16 PM   #27
Nice1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1 View Post
I just learned on my test drive today that the iDrive also plays video files from your iPod or usb device. That's so awesome! Although it's illegal, I have a Pioneer avic DIN and set it up to play video while I drive. I know what you will all say. It's not the safest idea, but it sure does help when I'm stuck in stop and go traffic for an hour.
interesting info... can you play ipod video while in motion?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 11:09 PM   #28
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUK36 View Post
Correct it has to be bought seperately, its disgusting really.

Shame on you BMW.
It has to be bought separately here too.

It makes sense in a way: BMW doesn't want to be seen to support just one type of MP3 player, and this cable can *only* be used with an iPod, while the USB interface works with many devices.

There is also a bit of circuitry in that box - it's not just a simple USB-Dock Connector cable.

Regards,

Paul Martin
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 11:10 PM   #29
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No it can't.

If you are playing a video file on the iPod and then you plug it into the USB adapter in the car it will continue to play the audio but you're not going to see any video on the screen I can assure you.

Sorry to burst the bubble.

Paul Martin
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 11:14 PM   #30
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malves85 View Post
There is the:
Ipod and USB adapter for $400
Ipod Interface adapter for $320

Im not getting the Nav system so I wont have a nice screen to use. Anyone with the ipod and no nav want to tell me how they view songs and navigate? I ordered my car but have a week or so to change it. What exactly do these options do? Is the interface adapter just for the nav system? I also have an 8gig flash drive with all my songs on it. What do you think would be easier to use?
To use the iPod with the USB adapter (the y-cable) you must have the 6FL option on the car (ie. the USB/Aux in port combo). If you do, then you control all the music on the iPod with either the headunit, iDrive (if you have it) and the steering wheel buttons. You can play ALL music files on the device and you can browse all albums, playlists, genres, etc.

If you have the iPod interface adapter (the old one) is a way of interfacing the iPod with the cars radio so that it 'sees' a 6 stack CD player. You have to create special 'BMW Playlists' in iTunes to use the system and it isn't that great. Also, if you want a CD stacker, then you'll have to choose this OR the iPod - you can't have both (unless you have the 6FL option, as above).

I hope this is of some use.

Cheers,

Paul Martin
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 12:51 AM   #31
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitramluap View Post
No it can't.

If you are playing a video file on the iPod and then you plug it into the USB adapter in the car it will continue to play the audio but you're not going to see any video on the screen I can assure you.

Sorry to burst the bubble.

Paul Martin
All of my hopes and dreams have died

Oh well, I suppose it's for the best..

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #32
The 1
TT > i-vtec
Rep
Drives:

No bubble bursted here. I assumed that I wouldn't be able to watch while driving like I do now. But just knowing that it will play video even while still is a nice function. Where I'm not accustomed to navigation systems, I was wondering if the dvd-rom will play dvd video. Anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #33
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No bubble bursted here. I assumed that I wouldn't be able to watch while driving like I do now. But just knowing that it will play video even while still is a nice function. Where I'm not accustomed to navigation systems, I was wondering if the dvd-rom will play dvd video. Anyone know?
No, sorry - it doesn't play DVD videos.

There is an OEM accessory module which allows TV playback in the 1er (and possibly video input), but it is not factory fitted.

Have a look for the accessories catalog.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #34
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No, sorry - it doesn't play DVD videos.

There is an OEM accessory module which allows TV playback in the 1er (and possibly video input), but it is not factory fitted.

Have a look for the accessories catalog.

Paul
Hooray! There is a light at the end of the tunnel! Thank you for the information :thumbup:

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 10:55 PM   #35
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
Hooray! There is a light at the end of the tunnel! Thank you for the information :thumbup:
Here is an image from the attached Accessories Catalog from Australia for the 1er:

Cheers,

Paul Martin
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf E87_07_Accessories.pdf (924.2 KB, 105 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 11:26 PM   #36
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

if you order the ipod/usb option in the US, can it play the songs from your ipod if you don't use playlists?

I'm disappointed that you still have to use the aux jack. it means you're not getting a digital sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 11:54 PM   #37
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
if you order the ipod/usb option in the US, can it play the songs from your ipod if you don't use playlists?
Yes. That is the point. Using the 'old' iPod adapter meant using special playlists as it emulated a CD changer to access the tracks. The 6FL (USB) option displays the tracks on the screen as they appear on the iPod - you can list by playlist, genre, artist or album.

Quote:
I'm disappointed that you still have to use the aux jack. it means you're not getting a digital sound.
Why? The *sound* is analog anyway (unless you have bionic ears!) :wink:

At some point the signal HAS to be analog. Either the iPod does the conversion or the car's headunit does - and it's not going to make a difference which one does it I can assure you! The advantage of the iPod doing the conversion is that all the DRM music purchased from the ITMS can be viewed and played without any issues.

...and let's not get into the whole analog-digital debate - there are plenty of better places to discuss that! If you want that discussion, I'm not going to get involved.

Regards,

Paul
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 01:28 AM   #38
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes. That is the point. Using the 'old' iPod adapter meant using special playlists as it emulated a CD changer to access the tracks. The 6FL (USB) option displays the tracks on the screen as they appear on the iPod - you can list by playlist, genre, artist or album.

Why? The *sound* is analog anyway (unless you have bionic ears!) :wink:

At some point the signal HAS to be analog. Either the iPod does the conversion or the car's headunit does - and it's not going to make a difference which one does it I can assure you! The advantage of the iPod doing the conversion is that all the DRM music purchased from the ITMS can be viewed and played without any issues.

...and let's not get into the whole analog-digital debate - there are plenty of better places to discuss that! If you want that discussion, I'm not going to get involved.

Regards,

Paul
thanks for the info. i'm just comparing it to the ipod adapter in my car where it plugs into the ipod's charging port and connects to the stereo digitally (i.e. there's no need for a second wire to an analog input). did not mean to get into a debate.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 02:48 AM   #39
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the info. i'm just comparing it to the ipod adapter in my car where it plugs into the ipod's charging port and connects to the stereo digitally (i.e. there's no need for a second wire to an analog input). did not mean to get into a debate.
Unless your car's headunit is doing the decoding (ie. if you can play protected AAC files, then the iPod is doing the work) then the audio coming from the dock connector is actually an analog signal anyway (line out, preamp). The iPod can output the audio via an amplified output (ie. the headphone jack) or a pre-amplified output (ie. line out) via the dock connector - pins 27, 28 & 29. See:
http://www.ipodlinux.org/Dock_Connector

The cable that BMW sells for use with the 6FL option splits the dock connector into a data control and power stream (ie. the USB port) and line-out audio stream (ie. the 3.5mm stereo jack).

The only way that the 'audio' can travel over via the USB port is if the iPod is being used as a mass storage device (standard USB-dock cable PLUS it must be PC formatted). If this is the case, then you cannot play the protected AAC files with ANY externally connected device (apart from the computer it is paired with).

I hope that clears things up!

Regards,

Paul
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 09:52 AM   #40
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Here is an image from the attached Accessories Catalog from Australia for the 1er:

Cheers,

Paul Martin
Thank you for all your information on this topic Paul!

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #41
john970
1er
Rep

Quote:

Don't be disappointed: the only difference is you are using the Wolfson DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) in the iPod, which is decent, and not the one in the head unit. For all we know it could be the same DAC.

I did some research and Harman uses the exact same Wolfson DAC in some of their components, so it is very possible you are using the exact same DAC either way. If anything, I would guess the iPod is superior as I have doubts that Harman builds the boards in the HiFi or base system.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #42
john970
1er
Rep

Quote:
Unless your car's headunit is doing the decoding (ie. if you can play protected AAC files, then the iPod is doing the work) then the audio coming from the dock connector is actually an analog signal anyway (line out, preamp). The iPod can output the audio via an amplified output (ie. the headphone jack) or a pre-amplified output (ie. line out) via the dock connector - pins 27, 28 & 29. See:
http://www.ipodlinux.org/Dock_Connector

The cable that BMW sells for use with the 6FL option splits the dock connector into a data control and power stream (ie. the USB port) and line-out audio stream (ie. the 3.5mm stereo jack).
I second all of this and wanted to clairify one point: The "line out" of the ipod still goes through the same amplification stage as the "amplified" headphone jack, so it isn't any cleaner. This is the case with almost all consumer level digital devices (cd players, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #43
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
The only way to get digital to digital music on the 1er is to plug a flash drive into the USB port in the car.
      03-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #44
john970
1er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskurn View Post
The only way to get digital to digital music on the 1er is to plug a flash drive into the USB port in the car.
Yeah, meaning the digital files are converted to analog at the head unit in lieu of the iPod.
Appreciate 0