BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
instalher
25cent millionaire
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m4 comp vert

Garage List
2020 bmw  [0.00]
  [9.00]
  [0.00]
  [9.50]
2018 bmw 230i xdrive  [8.50]
mercedes vs bmw..

hey gang. I was curious about this new Mercedes cla 250, so I drove down to our local dealership and took one out for a test drive.. the car comes in stock at 33,900 cnd.. but with a few options and the way I would like one it is 40k out the door.. I really enjoyed this car but didn't like the following. engine is loud upon hard excelleration. could use somemore soundproofing, the stop start feature is not very refined, way to abrupt upon restart. Salesman told me 50 mpg but I took that with a huge grain of salt. And he told me there warranty is not all inclusive like bmw and I couldn't even buy it until maybe next yr.. so oil changes, brakes, lights, wiper blades ect is on my dime.... hummm. I really don't like that... and boy is it tight in the cockpit.. exactly like my civic... and poor visibility out the back window.. well I don't know if I would buy this car for 40k, just not enough good things about this car that make it worth the price, but that motor is so nice at hiway speeds, and around Calgary the transmission and motor were in sync and made the drive very easy..... but iam waiting to test drive the 4 series when it comes out and if the release the 420i, it will be an interesting test. I don't think the world needs another compact car, that should be left to the civic, corolla, Malibu and mazda 3, but if Mercedes wants a piece of this market, I think 6k off the sticker price at base would be a good start..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
interesting viewpoint!

i briefly considered holding off my order to check out a CLA45 AMG before ordering the 135is----but found out the US launch was slightly delayed and also that i loved the 1er too much to wait.

i didn't realise that the CLA would be that cramped though.....figured it would be bigger than the 1er. This car is aimed at a younger target audience----so it's essentially a compact car wrapped into an MB package. An interesting car, but i don't know how i'd feel driving a FWD Mercedes.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by instalher View Post
hey gang. I was curious about this new Mercedes cla 250, so I drove down to our local dealership and took one out for a test drive.. the car comes in stock at 33,900 cnd.. but with a few options and the way I would like one it is 40k out the door.. I really enjoyed this car but didn't like the following. engine is loud upon hard excelleration. could use somemore soundproofing, the stop start feature is not very refined, way to abrupt upon restart. Salesman told me 50 mpg but I took that with a huge grain of salt. And he told me there warranty is not all inclusive like bmw and I couldn't even buy it until maybe next yr.. so oil changes, brakes, lights, wiper blades ect is on my dime.... hummm. I really don't like that... and boy is it tight in the cockpit.. exactly like my civic... and poor visibility out the back window.. well I don't know if I would buy this car for 40k, just not enough good things about this car that make it worth the price, but that motor is so nice at hiway speeds, and around Calgary the transmission and motor were in sync and made the drive very easy..... but iam waiting to test drive the 4 series when it comes out and if the release the 420i, it will be an interesting test. I don't think the world needs another compact car, that should be left to the civic, corolla, Malibu and mazda 3, but if Mercedes wants a piece of this market, I think 6k off the sticker price at base would be a good start..
The only CLA (I would consider) is the CLA45 AMG. AWD, 360 HP, starts at 47k (USD).

The CLA250 competes (to me at least) against a 320i and an Audi A4 in terms of price, performance, and luxury.

IMO, the 320i would be winner due to RWD and option of manual, but who knows if that translates in the real world. Both the CLA250 and base Audi A4 have FWD.. although for more you can get AWD for both. But the majority of people don't know what RWD vs FWD is...

MPG is rated at 38 MPG highway.. so his numbers are off LOL.

Its a nice car, and will sell lots of models because of its price and brand image. Personally, I think it looks gorgeous (the AMG), but I know many who don't.

Its cool that you got to test drive it. They don't go officially on sale until Sept 20 in the USA. I personally want to test drive the AMG, but goodluck with that since I was told if I want to order one it will be a wait until Jan... (My first option is a M235i. I think that chipped + manual will be more fun, and cheaper, then a CLA45 AMG, but we don't know yet)
      09-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
Allencic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i convertible

Since this thread is about comparisons, here is one that you may think is crazy. Trust me I'm not trying to get any BMW fans panties in a bunch with what I'm about to say.

While getting my 128i convert serviced they gave me a new 328i as a loaner. It was OK but the steering was dead compared to my 128i and the new four banger turbo was strong but coarse and frankly sounded like an old tractor at idle. The start/stop was just a crude pain in the patootie. The interior just seemed cheezy. Over all it was a disappointment.

Anyway I was checking out the new 320i and realized that in many ways the specs for the 320i were pretty darn close to the 2014 Honda Accord. Virtually identical horsepower and torque with the four cylinder but the Accord isn't turbo. Electric power steering in both but the Accord feels much more precise than the 32Oi. Yes I know that the Accord has front wheel drive and a CVT and is about 9 inches longer but they're nearly the same in curb weight. but if you drive and compare them it becomes a tougher choice than you might think.

As far as equipment is concerned, it is no comparison. To get the same level of goodies that you get in the Accord for $29K you'd have to go over $40K with the 320i. I think if you're objective and honest, the materials and build qualities are comparable. And you don't have to put up with run flats with the Accord.

As I said, I not trying to beat up or beat critical of the BMW. After all I own one but give a close look at the new Accord vs. the 320i and you might be surprised. The Accord has of course gotten very good reviews in mags like Car and Driver and R & T.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allencic View Post
Since this thread is about comparisons, here is one that you may think is crazy. Trust me I'm not trying to get any BMW fans panties in a bunch with what I'm about to say.

While getting my 128i convert serviced they gave me a new 328i as a loaner. It was OK but the steering was dead compared to my 128i and the new four banger turbo was strong but coarse and frankly sounded like an old tractor at idle. The start/stop was just a crude pain in the patootie. The interior just seemed cheezy. Over all it was a disappointment.

Anyway I was checking out the new 320i and realized that in many ways the specs for the 320i were pretty darn close to the 2014 Honda Accord. Virtually identical horsepower and torque with the four cylinder but the Accord isn't turbo. Electric power steering in both but the Accord feels much more precise than the 32Oi. Yes I know that the Accord has front wheel drive and a CVT and is about 9 inches longer but they're nearly the same in curb weight. but if you drive and compare them it becomes a tougher choice than you might think.

As far as equipment is concerned, it is no comparison. To get the same level of goodies that you get in the Accord for $29K you'd have to go over $40K with the 320i. I think if you're objective and honest, the materials and build qualities are comparable. And you don't have to put up with run flats with the Accord.

As I said, I not trying to beat up or beat critical of the BMW. After all I own one but give a close look at the new Accord vs. the 320i and you might be surprised. The Accord has of course gotten very good reviews in mags like Car and Driver and R & T.
the F30 3-series really is a terribly uninteresting and boring car. i was actually shocked by how boring it was. you're absolutely right....why not buy an Accord if one is just looking for an appliance!

i could never drive a car like a base 3-series. Soft, wallowy, unresponsive, and numb. one of the most disappointing cars i've driven this year.

in all fairness though, i was never even much of a fan of the E90/E92 driving dynamics. i felt they had lost the "BMW touch" i remember from driving older BMWs like the E36. I think the 1er is the closest thing to those 'old school' dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
Allencic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i convertible

Our first BMW was a brand new 2002 we bought in 1968. No one had any idea what a BMW was then. No one thought it was a luxury car. For me it set the standard for what a fun to drive BMW was. Unfortunately, while it was more fun to drive than any car I've had since it also was more trouble than any car I've ever owned. The major components never had a catastrophic failure but virtually everything else broke or gave problems. Would you think needing to replace the muffler every 8K was a reasonable service life. That was typical of the new 2002.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
instalher
25cent millionaire
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m4 comp vert

Garage List
2020 bmw  [0.00]
  [9.00]
  [0.00]
  [9.50]
2018 bmw 230i xdrive  [8.50]
ok the Japanese due have a more reliable car than bmw, that's a known fact.. the cost per value to dollar on bmw is terrible, I mean plastic seats, doors, and dash for 40k come on I want nice leather at that price, and the technology on the accord is better than the bmw.. so why the bmw.. well its like anything in life.. a timex watch is normal and nice, but a lange and shone watch says WOW, cooper tires are ok and will work on our cars but pirellies or Michelins make a statement, macdonalds will fill you and your girlfriend up for under 10bucks but I take my wife to earls! my point is driving a bmw is a statement to who you are, or want to be, much like a gmc hummer is to there steroid induced, pit bull owners, I drive one not because I hate Honda, but because I like how I feel in my car..and to me that's why I chose one..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
WhiteTgr135i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Very well said sir .

Quote:
ok the Japanese due have a more reliable car than bmw, that's a known fact.. the cost per value to dollar on bmw is terrible, I mean plastic seats, doors, and dash for 40k come on I want nice leather at that price, and the technology on the accord is better than the bmw.. so why the bmw.. well its like anything in life.. a timex watch is normal and nice, but a lange and shone watch says WOW, cooper tires are ok and will work on our cars but pirellies or Michelins make a statement, macdonalds will fill you and your girlfriend up for under 10bucks but I take my wife to earls! my point is driving a bmw is a statement to who you are, or want to be, much like a gmc hummer is to there steroid induced, pit bull owners, I drive one not because I hate Honda, but because I like how I feel in my car..and to me that's why I chose one..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #9
vertebra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by instalher
I don't agree at all. I hardly think a entry level BMW is a statement. The reason I own my One is because I love the 300+ hp engine, the 50/50 weight ratio and the shitload of torque. It's fun as hell to drive.

Posted from 1addicts.com App for Android
      09-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #10
rori zahr
AristoCat
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
      09-23-2013, 12:03 AM   #11
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertebra View Post
I don't agree at all. I hardly think a entry level BMW is a statement. The reason I own my One is because I love the 300+ hp engine, the 50/50 weight ratio and the shitload of torque. It's fun as hell to drive.

Posted from 1addicts.com App for Android
This^^

I'm not trying to make any statement except for me grinning while taking a curve at twice the posted speed limit.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Let's not forget the N54 08-10 started at 35K. It's a little over priced at 40K now with not too many changes other than the twin scroll single turbo.

However for 35K the base car had a lot of tech standard that were options on other cars. Also it has a great suspension for shitty roads, but still firm enough for twisties.

However the accord is the best midsize fwd car on the road imo if you don't care to have the extra handling and power.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Aside from the wife's 2011 128i M-Sport 6MT convertible, I have an F30 335i M-Sport 8AT with DHP, MPPK, and MPE. Maybe the 328i is bland and boring to some, but then it's intended to be just above the entry-level 320i. My car is ANYTHING but boring, and provides power and handling, comfort, and 28 MPG around town. Put it in Sport or Sport+ mode and it's a superb sports sedan with tight steering and suspension.

Don't judge an entire series until you've driven the best model - this car is easily as good or better than my E92, especially in the fuel economy department and I can change the suspension stiffness at the flick of a switch.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0