BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-30-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

For those with the M3 control arms...

Did you have any trouble with the adaptive headlights afterwards? I'm hoping I just put something together wrong, but my lights are currently in a fixed position. I won't have a chance to work on it for a few days, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to what I might have done wrong?
I got the kit complete with the new regulating rod, and purchased an extra nut from Lowes (stock regulating rod has one end that clips on, one end with a nut - M3 version has both ends with nuts. Nut wasn't included with kit).
I put the arm with the kink the same way the factory kink was, and *thought* I put the sensor back in the same position, but now I'm second guessing.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I had my mechanic do my install but I don't have any issues. Can't you turn off the adaptive light feature by turning the lights on to the right instead of to the left?
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
Castr_85M
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW/Fox 6MT E90 M3

I dont mean to hijack the thread with a noob question but what does the m3 control arm have to do with adaptive lightin?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alofoque View Post
I dont mean to hijack the thread with a noob question but what does the m3 control arm have to do with adaptive lightin?
No prob, it's not really a noob question. The left control arm has a regulating rod on it which connects to the sensor for the light leveling. The control arm position is used for the leveling feature of the lights, and the M3 control arm kit requires a different regulating rod to connect properly. I thought maybe the rod was also used for the left-right adaptive headlights feature as well, but perhaps not (I think it's probably steering input, as would make more sense). see my next post, I think it was just a coincidence of events that cause my issue...

Last edited by Xaeryan; 08-30-2010 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
I had my mechanic do my install but I don't have any issues. Can't you turn off the adaptive light feature by turning the lights on to the right instead of to the left?
If that's true, you just inadvertently determined my problem. Coincidentally, my right tail lamp is out, awaiting dealer service (TSB). To prevent being pulled over by police, I've been running with the rear fog lights on so it looks like I have both tail lamps (I have the Euro headlight switch). The switch has to be turned to the right in order for them to come on.
I'll check if this is the case later, but consider this +10 points for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
gnat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Wishing for an e30iX

Quote:
Can't you turn off the adaptive light feature by turning the lights on to the right instead of to the left?
Isn't that just the automatic (e.g. turns on when it gets dark) headlight function? I like playing with the adaptive lights in my wife's e90, but I can't recall if I've done it with the auto-light off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeryan View Post
No prob, it's not really a noob question. The left control arm has a regulating rod on it which connects to the sensor for the light leveling. The control arm position is used for the leveling feature of the lights
Thanks for the explanation. I've wondered how it worked, but never enough to look it up somewhere obviously
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Yup, Gnat is right, turning the light to the left just makes it auto, doesn't effect the adaptive feature. Let me think some more and try another guess..lol.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yup, Gnat is right, turning the light to the left just makes it auto, doesn't effect the adaptive feature. Let me think some more and try another guess..lol.
I don't believe this is accurate. Turning the knob to the left makes it auto and enables adaptive feature. Please see the below excerpt from the owners manual (please note that position '3' is the auto position to the left):

I believe the cornering lights are also activated only in this position. Also, I have the M3 control arms and have not any problems with my headlights leveling or adapting (turning). Just try it in auto!

Tim
Attached Images

08-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Lights must be in Auto mode to enable adaptive/cornering function. You can test this in your driveway if you park close enough to a wall or whatever.
      08-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Lights must be in Auto mode to enable adaptive/cornering function. You can test this in your driveway if you park close enough to a wall or whatever.
Yep, above two posters (and the initial response) were correct, it only functions in Auto mode as per the manual. Just tested it. So I didn't mess it up; I just coincidentally had the lights in ON instead of AUTO (for a separate reason).
Thanks all!
Appreciate 0