BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-10-2017, 08:17 PM   #1
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M-sport

Ne1man35 - Neiman's 135 build thread!

Hey everyone, I'm a newish owner of a 2008 135i and I have some serious plans for building my car. I figured I would start this thread because I want to share my build with everyone and also promote My youtube channel where I will be documenting all my mods. I've been an n54 enthusiast since I was 16 and although i'm only 20 now and have only owned my 135i for a few months, I've done tons of research over the years and have a very specific vision for exactly how I want my car to be. Although I have limited experience, I feel very confident with what I'm doing and want to help spread some of the knowledge ive acquired about our cars. But, I still admit I am a novice and I am very open to anything/everything I can learn about our cars. Constructive criticism is welcomed!

Here is a rough outline of my plans for my build:

Maintenance:
-new spark plugs
-clean vanos solenoids
-cowl filters
-clean and re-oil DCI intake
-BMS OCC
-new index 12 injectors (when I have a leaky one)
-Previous owner walnut blasted the car 4-5K miles ago ()
-PO got new turbos under warranty 15k miles ago ()
-PO got a new Thermostat/water pump 30K miles ago ()
-PO had the hpfp replaced under warranty like 50K or so miles ago not too worried as I have 20K miles left on warranty.

performance:
-FBO
-Inlets
-BMR 3.5 exhaust
-Apex ec-7 wheels with MPSS (235/265)
-M factory LSD
-Eibach lowering springs
-when my stock turbos give out, i'll probably get VTT GC lite turbos
-when my clutch starts slipping I will probably go with a spec stage 3+ or a 335is/550i clutch and SMWF
-Short shift kit
-Raceseng Ashiko shift knob

Cosmetic:
-Front splitter
-blacklines taillights
-carbon fiber rear lip spoiler
-carbon fiber rear diffuser
-Lux h8 bright white angel eyes
-carbon fiber interior trim (gloss vinyl wrap)
-Aluminum M pedals

And that about covers all my plans! I am going to spend about 5-6K early this summer and cover everything except the big expensive things (LSD, GC lite turbos, and clutch) Later on, when my motorcycle sells and those parts start to wear out/go bad, Ill upgrade them and really make the car insane.

This week, I have already got done almost everything listed for maintenance and I filmed all the steps for each task. I'm currently editing all my footage to upload to youtube! If you would like to see my installs, DIY's, and reviews please subscribe to my channel. Videos that are in the works are: Cowl filters install, BMS OCC install, re-oiling filters DIY, Spark plugs DIY, Clean vanos solenoids DIY, CDV and BMS clutch stop diy, and many more!

I will be updated this build thread with steps along the way of my mods but before I get seriously into this build I want to thank everyone in the 1addicts community. I have been reading all the posts for multiple years now and it just amazes me how much information there is out there to learn if you dedicate yourself to it. All of this wouldn't be possible without without the help of you guys in this community!

Here is my first video which is just an explanation of my car and the story of how I got it/ what I love about the 135i!
      03-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #2
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just had a big order come in from BMS!
-Cowl filters
-Oil catch can
-NGK 5992 Spark plugs
-Modified CDV
-Clutch stop
-Air filter cleaning and re-oiling kit

I installed the Cowl filters and made a DIY video on it. Also, I plasti-dipped the DME cover and used black zip-ties to get all the wires snug to the strut bar. This makes the engine bay look super clean! Other parts soon to be installed, Here is the video!

Last edited by Neiman Levenson; 04-25-2017 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
Matticus913474.50
      03-14-2017, 10:05 PM   #3
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Keep up the work! Looking good
      03-18-2017, 09:08 PM   #4
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: I have accomplished many things under the maintenance tab in my first post. Next I will start making some power on a stage 1 tune, and after that I will probably get new Rotors and brake pads as mine are very worn. Then it will back to making more power with FBO mods!! The maintenance/mods I got done were:

-BMS Cowl Filters
-BMS Oil Catch Can
-BMS Modified CDV delete
-NGK 5992 spark plugs
-DCI cleaned and re-oiled
-Detailed my car with a wash and wax.

I have a video coming on the CDV delete but for now I have not finished editing . Here are links to videos of all the maintenance mentioned above:

03-22-2017, 05:39 PM   #5
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here is the CDV video. I opted for the BMS modified valve simply because I didn't feel comfortable completely removing a part from my car, even if some people say its useless I like going with a performance replacement part rather than leaving it out completely.
      03-22-2017, 05:58 PM   #6
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Welcome!
      03-25-2017, 08:32 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nice build

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 10:25 PM   #8
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I finally got my android device sorted out and went with a refurbished nexus 5 off ebay. It fits perfectly for the mount/set-up Im running and made a quick video today about the monitor module. My car is still stock, but I just recently sold my 2013 yamaha R6 so I have a big budget for car parts! Going FBO next weekend hopefully! here is a video of the MHD monitor module
      04-13-2017, 08:32 PM   #9
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Earlier this week I purchased all the parts to officially go FBO! I really wanted to get the best mod for each part of the FBO build without paying the bmw tax so this is what I ended up going with:

-VRSF 7 inch HD intercooler with upgraded piping (HD = high density fin pack + 120)
-VRSF chargepipe with authentic HKS Blow Off valve
-VRSF V2 3 inch catless Downpipes (I plan on ceramic coating this pipes DIY before Installing, will post a DIY video of how to cermaic coat your pipes!)
-MHD flashing module and stage 2 map pack, along with schosche magnetic mount and after flashing my car I will be removing some panels to tuck the OBD2 wires to get a clean install, as well as using a low profile OBD2 extension cable to hide my OBD2 cord plugged into the port and be able to put the plastic cover back on the OBD2 port with the android device still plugged in!

Unfortunately, My intercooler will be arriving after the weekend and I wont be able to install because I will need to go back to school after the weekend. Once I finish my semester in early May, I will throw the intercooler on and flash a stage 2+ but for now I plan on running stage 2 the stock fmic, vrsf downpipes, and vrsf chargepipe/HKS BOV. Here are some pics of the parts that arrived before the weekend.
Attached Images

04-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #10
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Additionally, here is a nice long video where I layout everything I plan to do to my car other than FBO mods. This includes the wheels I want, tires i want, suspension, brakes, cosmetic enhancements, short shifter, etc. as well as some big big ticket items that I want to do way way later down the road such as upgraded turbos, spec stage 3+ clutch, Fueling, etc.
      04-14-2017, 09:30 PM   #11
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Today I got the vrsf charge pipe and HKS BOV fitted. It was a pretty straight forward process however I found it really hard to get the AIT sensor unclipped from the OEM chargepipe, I think for whatever reason mine was really stuck onto that damn OEM pipe. I eventually got it off, and man does the HKS look good and sound good. Tomorrow is gonna be a big day, ceramic coating my downpipes, installing them, and MHD tune.

I will have a HKS BOV sound video coming to youtube channel soon. meanwhile, Here are some pics!
Attached Images

04-27-2017, 07:23 PM   #12
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I apologize for not updating this build in a while, but I have lots of big stuff coming! I have been busy with final exams and finishing this semester, but after the first week in may I will be doing tons of things with my car including:

-Installing VRSF 3" catless downpipes
-installing VRSF 7" HD fmic
-Flashing MHD stage 2+ and adding a fuse for a charging solution/permanent solution for running guages 24/7
-Buying a 3.5 inch exhaust (either BMR, used HPF if available, or possibly going custom)
-Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors
-Stoptech pads

heres two videos of recent stuff ive done. 1.) Ceramic coated or high temp painted my catless downpipes and 2.) flashed my car to MHD stage 2 93 octane.

Im not sure how much WHP my car is currently making with mhd stage 2 tune and stock downpipes/stock fmic, But I would guess around 350WHP. it hits 15-16lbs of boost and pulls very hard, however I Can't wait for more power!
      05-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #13
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update: I purchased a BMR 3.5 inch exhaust to help the install with downpipes. I was lucky enough that they have one in stock when I purchased it (usually a 4 week wait for them to build it) and it should be here by next week. This way I can install the exhaust and catless downpipes together, and remove the OEM ones together without worrying about removing the rusted and striped midpipe bolts

This means ill be 100% catless, or straight piped, however I will have the resonator on the BMR exhaust which should make the exhaust note very exotic while minimizing the drone and rasp. I will definitely be updating how it goes so stay tuned. Here is a google pic of what the BMR system looks like: https://www.google.com/search?q=bmr+...22jcltL2ZpPzM:

and here is a little update on my youtube channel for those of you subscribed or interested!
      05-02-2017, 09:47 AM   #14
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Nice job on the DIY installs. How are you liking the HKS BOV? I still enjoy mine, but am more and more tempted to go with the more subtle Tial setup.

I'm interested to see/hear that exhaust as that is not one I've really seen or heard before. It may be wishful thinking that a single resonator will tame the rasp and drone coming from that 3.5" setup. It does seem to be very well made! I wish my setup had V-band clamps!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #15
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000 View Post
Nice job on the DIY installs. How are you liking the HKS BOV? I still enjoy mine, but am more and more tempted to go with the more subtle Tial setup.

I'm interested to see/hear that exhaust as that is not one I've really seen or heard before. It may be wishful thinking that a single resonator will tame the rasp and drone coming from that 3.5" setup. It does seem to be very well made! I wish my setup had V-band clamps!
Thanks buddy. I love the HKS, I like hearing it operate and I feel like the loud noise adds to the driving experience of a turbo car!

Your right about the exhaust, It is a bit optimistic. However I'm used to riding straight pipes sport bikes, revving to 16K, so I'm not worried about it being too loud. I love loud exhausts, as long as the sound pitch is good. as far as rasp goes, Ive heard lots of videos of this exhaust even with catless downpipes and from what it seems it has a very very deep tone with no rasp. Drone is another story tho, Ive heard this exhaust with stock downpipes doesn't drone at all, and saw one person say with catless downpipes it can drone pretty bad (e88 convertible tho) so i'm curious to see how it plays out in an e82 coupe, with catless downpipes. Videos and updates to come!
      05-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #16
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: Ive been much busy than expected this summer but Ive been able to put on my FBO mods and will have a video for everything soon. I started a new series on my youtube channel "Road to 400WHP" (on 93 octane only) Where I have made a video on the 7" HD intercooler and now my BMR exhaust and VRSF catless downpipes. Next up I will have a video out on my HKS BOV and charge pipe, MHD stage 2+ tune, and then Ill hit the dyno to see what she makes! Here are the videos so far in my Road to 400WHP series.

05-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #17
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just wanted to give a big thanks for those who have subscribed to me on youtube, I just hit 100 subs and while that number is necessarily big at all, it's a good feeling knowing that 100 people are interested in my content!

New video out on my youtube channel, got some basic sound clips of my car. Still tweaking a few things but once its all perfect Ill be posting a lot more WOT clips and some proper tunnel clips going WOT

Last edited by Neiman Levenson; 05-22-2017 at 08:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #18
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

Love the thread and videos man, keep it up!

I'm debating between getting a custom 3.5" exhaust made or going with BMR. It sounds like there was some slight fitment issues with the BMR if you had to grind off part of the rear differential tab.
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #19
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful View Post
Love the thread and videos man, keep it up!

I'm debating between getting a custom 3.5" exhaust made or going with BMR. It sounds like there was some slight fitment issues with the BMR if you had to grind off part of the rear differential tab.
thanks a lot man, that means something especially coming from the guy whose car made it on the front page of 1320's facebook post

And yes, the BMR exhaust does have some fitment issues. The 2 issues it has are:

1- rattling against differential. I solved this buy having the little tab it contacts grinded off, but later I learned this can be solved by using a different exhaust hanger in a certain position (They send you this exact exhaust hanger with the exhaust) so I consider that to be a non issue, I was pretty much just an idiot and didn't realize the proper solution.

2- the exhaust rubs on the x-brace!! This is due to the front portion / section that connects to the downpipes being at an improper angle causing the rest of the exhaust to be too low and not clear the x-brace. I actually just spoke with BMR on this over the phone about 5 mins ago. BMR initially had the exhaust re-worked to alleviate this problem, and the angle they came up with worked on the test car but not on mine, so my exhaust is currently laying on my x-brace

the good news: BMR said on the phone that they are working this week on re-developing that part of the exhaust to have a flex section. This will allow it to have some forgivingness and flex to get the perfect fit for everyone's car. I was told that by the end of the week I will be sent a new front section of the exhaust with the new flex section, and then Ill just return my old section to them in the box the new one comes in.

That being said BMR is working very hard to alleviate their issues and Im a satisfied customer! Im not gonna penalize them for something they owned up to, took full responsibility of, and treated the customer right about. If you want a BMR exhaust, I would suggest to wait a week or two and see how the flex section pans out. I still think they are a great company with a great product.

on a side note; a custom exhaust would probably be cheaper
      05-23-2017, 12:20 PM   #20
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne1man35 View Post
And yes, the BMR exhaust does have some fitment issues. The 2 issues it has are:
"The quality, fit and finish of this system is truly amazing and will bring a smile to your face as soon as you open the box!"

For $1299, this description and fitment issues, they'd be getting me a return label and I'd be exploring other options.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 05-23-2017 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #21
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

i interpreted that as the build quality of the exhaust itself and the way the welds are all perfect and consistent, and how it is just high quality stuff. as it did truly make me happy just looking at it. Normally I would be pissed and wanting a refund, but with how good this thing sounds Im willing to work out some fitment issues cause I just freaking love it.

every car enthusiasts has that one thing they love, some people are wheel guys and are obsessed with that perfect flush fitment, some people are detailers and need that perfect shine, and Im definitely an exhaust guy. Im obsessed with getting an exact sound i want and the BMR exhaust delivers it so im sticking with it
      05-23-2017, 02:12 PM   #22
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne1man35 View Post
thanks a lot man, that means something especially coming from the guy whose car made it on the front page of 1320's facebook post

1- rattling against differential. I solved this buy having the little tab it contacts grinded off, but later I learned this can be solved by using a different exhaust hanger in a certain position (They send you this exact exhaust hanger with the exhaust) so I consider that to be a non issue, I was pretty much just an idiot and didn't realize the proper solution.

2- the exhaust rubs on the x-brace!! This is due to the front portion / section that connects to the downpipes being at an improper angle causing the rest of the exhaust to be too low and not clear the x-brace. I actually just spoke with BMR on this over the phone about 5 mins ago. BMR initially had the exhaust re-worked to alleviate this problem, and the angle they came up with worked on the test car but not on mine, so my exhaust is currently laying on my x-brace

the good news: BMR said on the phone that they are working this week on re-developing that part of the exhaust to have a flex section. This will allow it to have some forgivingness and flex to get the perfect fit for everyone's car. I was told that by the end of the week I will be sent a new front section of the exhaust with the new flex section, and then Ill just return my old section to them in the box the new one comes in.

That being said BMR is working very hard to alleviate their issues and Im a satisfied customer! Im not gonna penalize them for something they owned up to, took full responsibility of, and treated the customer right about. If you want a BMR exhaust, I would suggest to wait a week or two and see how the flex section pans out. I still think they are a great company with a great product.

on a side note; a custom exhaust would probably be cheaper
Interesting. I've actually been emailing back and forth with them about getting it made without the resonator. Tom has been very kind and responsive - their customer service seems top-notch.

Hopefully they fix the problem for you, as I'm sure they will. It does sound great!

PS: Thanks for the kind words, I can't wait to do the 1/2 mile event again this fall!
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 1