11-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
dean_g
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW F80 M3

Opinions/ideas needed due to being rushed

Ok to make long story short..

My car was on the toronto which arrived at the port Saturday afternoon. My CA gave me a call and told me he wants to get the car out by the end of the month, even asked me to go in on wednesday (last day of the month) to sign papers and the car might only be ready for pick up on thursday morning.

Now my question is .... does this give me any bargaining rights?

If so, what could i negotiate with. This of course is risky to do prior to the car being there and me looking it over but I could put a little trust in as long as I could possibly benefit.

I am looking to get the tire/rim warranty might that be what i could try and negotiate with them? or maybe get a good price on the BMW performance steering wheel?

Any input would be appreciated !
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

I dont understand.

You want extra stuff..... for getting the car youve been waiting for, and can get EARLY?

Im thinking you should give him something.

Top Gear Magazine - Jason Barlow about the 1M

Last edited by PyratOne; 11-28-2011 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
bentone
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3/'79 911SC

Do you trust the CA not to pull the rug out from under you and sell it to another customer at a markup, simply because you opened negotiations again? That would be my biggest concern. But in this case it sounds like he's trying desperately to make his month, and I'd be very tempted to ask for exactly those 2 items you mentioned, especially since you're not asking for a discount on the car itself. In fact it seemed to me like it's the finance guy who gets paid on the tire warranties, so maybe your CA can ask him for a "favor"...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
dean_g
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyratOne View Post
I dont understand.

You want extra stuff..... for getting the car youve been waiting for EARLY?

Im thinking you should give him something.

No, No. Basically my CA wants me to sign PRIOR to the car arriving at the dealer so he gets the sale to count for this month.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
dean_g
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentone View Post
Do you trust the CA not to pull the rug out from under you and sell it to another customer at a markup, simply because you opened negotiations again? That would be my biggest concern. But in this case it sounds like he's trying desperately to make his month, and I'd be very tempted to ask for exactly those 2 items you mentioned, especially since you're not asking for a discount on the car itself. In fact it seemed to me like it's the finance guy who gets paid on the tire warranties, so maybe your CA can ask him for a "favor"...
Thanks for the reply bentone, yeah the one thing i DONT want to do is lose the car .. but maybe I could mention getting a good deal on the tire warranty and possibly a discount on the steering wheel? Maybe something will work out
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

I don't see a big deal in that. Just sign the papers on Wed and pick up Thursday do the guy a solid this way he meets his monthly quota.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
bentone
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3/'79 911SC

Yeah, I find that these things usually work out better when there is some tact involved. But at the end of the day he's asking you for a favor that wasn't pre-negotiated, and I see nothing wrong with asking for something in return...tactfully. You're going to be taking time out of your busy Wednesday to go to the dealer, only to go back a 2nd time to retrieve the car. But again, I wouldn't do it if I thought there was any chance of losing the car.

Or, he says no/you play it safe and the worst thing that happened is that you have a car that is basically unattainable and lusted after by thousands of people. Congrats either way.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
dean_g
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbeast View Post
I don't see a big deal in that. Just sign the papers on Wed and pick up Thursday do the guy a solid this way he meets his monthly quota.
Yeah of course I will have no issue doing that but that does involve putting some trust in him being I am going to sign for a car i have not seen/inspected to make sure it is all good. By the point i see it papers will have been signed which is a little risky but I will have no problem doing it as stated. BUT what i am wondering is if maybe i could get something out of this. A better deal on the tire warranty or maybe a nice discount on the performance steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
speedM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2106 X3 35i, 1M, 05 MCS

honestly, i would just go get the car. there are so many people who would jump on it, and the scumbag dealers here in California would probably just sell it to another person, probably with a markup. you have a good thing already, don't be greedy.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

I think you can definitely ask for a deal on the tire warranty. Bottom line is that most sales people work to get items out by end of month .... So.. it may also be an opportunity for the sales rep to make a little extra cash on the warranty sale... and he will be a little more motivated by the month end for that item, as well as the sale of the car... so maybe you can get a better deal on the warranty than at any other time.

Aside from that.. whether or not you help him out by picking the car up a day or two early is your choice and probably really depends on how well you like the CA. I did it once for a Subaru dealer here in Dallas.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

My only concern is the car really going to be there Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #12
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

I'll take it!
      11-29-2011, 08:13 PM   #13
Martillo
Private
Rep
Drives: 1M

It is to clear their month inventory nothing else... just take it! and be happy with it... hopefully you won't get snowed in somewhere...!

Last edited by Martillo; 11-29-2011 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #14
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

So what have you decided to do?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #15
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
I did the same thing for my CA....no big deal. It had already arrived and was processing thru the VPC, when I closed the deal. I was originally supposed to close the deal around 11/14 due to PCD (11/28), but closed the deal on 10/31 for them to include the sale in Oct.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 10:43 PM   #16
blueshark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "transportation" for now

Why does it seem like every little situation must be taken advantage of?
I think we are fortunate to have a 1M! No worries!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #17
dean_g
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I ended up signing the papers haven't asked for anything and won't. Maybe in a month or so if I give him a call and ask for a nice deal on the performance steering wheel he can help me out. Who knows!

I just cannot wait to pick up the car !!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #18
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Hey, we ED folks had to sign & seal 2 weeks before delivery... on another continent.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #19
dean_g
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well heres an update for you guys .. my cars bumper apparently had a scratch as they took it off the boat and they decided at the port to order me a whole new bumper so yeah ..... the wait CONTINUES.

:mad0 260:
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #20
Twisted Rhodes
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_g View Post
Well heres an update for you guys .. my cars bumper apparently had a scratch as they took it off the boat and they decided at the port to order me a whole new bumper so yeah ..... the wait CONTINUES.

:mad0 260:
That's a real bummer. Sounds like it's more than a scratch if it's being replaced. At least you don't have to deal with paint issues later on if they repaired/repainted the original. Hopefully, it won't have to be sent by sea...

Since the Toronto docked on Sat, they should have known by Monday about the damage. Interesting that they contacted you Monday to sign all the paperwork. Coincidence? Perhaps. I was leaning towards not asking for anything for doing them a favor, but not so sure now.

Still waiting for my 1M that was on the Toronto. My CA emailed me Sunday night to say it'll be less than a week, but haven't gotten any updates since. No news better be good news.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #21
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Rhodes View Post
That's a real bummer. Sounds like it's more than a scratch if it's being replaced. At least you don't have to deal with paint issues later on if they repaired/repainted the original. Hopefully, it won't have to be sent by sea...

Since the Toronto docked on Sat, they should have known by Monday about the damage. Interesting that they contacted you Monday to sign all the paperwork. Coincidence? Perhaps. I was leaning towards not asking for anything for doing them a favor, but not so sure now.

Still waiting for my 1M that was on the Toronto. My CA emailed me Sunday night to say it'll be less than a week, but haven't gotten any updates since. No news better be good news.

Yes, this definitely smells fishy. I highly doubt it was a coincidence.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #22
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Rhodes View Post

My CA said my car was released to the carrier yesterday morning, I was on the Toronto as well. Unless my dealer had a really large shipment I would think our two cars would be on the same truck. I am directly south of you in southern Delaware.
Appreciate 0