BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #287
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Guys,

Just PM'd a couple of you. Not all of them are out yet. I have track#'s and PM'd a couple of you already. I'm waiting for a call back from my shop for an update. I got all the track#s late Friday but only a couple went out last week.

We do have one pipe that got to a west coast customer Friday and he is installing today, a full system axleback + mid, along with some other mods going in today so we might have some customer feedback shortly.

I will send out the rest of the track #'s to everyone before the day out. I do have them all in hand.

R.
      02-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #288
quest01
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey Guys,

I don't have any pics or clips yet, but I thought I would share with you guys my experience so far while you wait for your pipes. I had a firm install date and took time off from work to get out there and make it happen. So Rich was nice enough to send me my full downpipe back set-up early (before the final test) so that I wouldn't have to reschedule. They finally finished with my car late yesterday (I had some other stuff put on also), and I got home late last night.

Anyway, I am very impressed so far. The shop had no problems with fitment. The tips look perfect, sitting just where I like them (for my tastes). There are no strange noises, vibrations, etc.

The sound is just what I wanted, and exactly how it has been described thus far. Its a bit louder than stock (but not too loud), just better sound character. And ZERO drone. I took it on a 100 mile highway drive back to my town, running it through all gears and various RPMs. There was no gear or RPM level (that I have found) where there was drone or any other type of strange noise. Its perfect so far. I think you guys are gonna love it!

Sorry that I have no pics or clips yet. I don't even own a video camera at the moment. I will have to try to borrow one or something.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #289
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Also the sound of exhausts improve as you use them for 1k plus miles. It surprised me.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #290
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest01 View Post
Hey Guys,

I don't have any pics or clips yet, but I thought I would share with you guys my experience so far while you wait for your pipes. I had a firm install date and took time off from work to get out there and make it happen. So Rich was nice enough to send me my full downpipe back set-up early (before the final test) so that I wouldn't have to reschedule. They finally finished with my car late yesterday (I had some other stuff put on also), and I got home late last night.

Anyway, I am very impressed so far. The shop had no problems with fitment. The tips look perfect, sitting just where I like them (for my tastes). There are no strange noises, vibrations, etc.

The sound is just what I wanted, and exactly how it has been described thus far. Its a bit louder than stock (but not too loud), just better sound character. And ZERO drone. I took it on a 100 mile highway drive back to my town, running it through all gears and various RPMs. There was no gear or RPM level (that I have found) where there was drone or any other type of strange noise. Its perfect so far. I think you guys are gonna love it!

Sorry that I have no pics or clips yet. I don't even own a video camera at the moment. I will have to try to borrow one or something.
Great to know it is all that was promised, can't wait to get mine, hopefully in time for this weekend's install! Enjoy it!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #291
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I know I have two more of you with install dates for Friday and Saturday. I spoke with our shop yesterday and made them aware of those install dates. I will on the phone again this afternoon to check on those two and the rest. Kurt got his a little early because we used the template set of resonators on his pipe. The single set we initially gave to the shop that is making all of the resonators. We got the template set back before the rest were done. Kurt's install date was also set weeks ago with many items being installed. There have been many delays getting these out the door but it was all in an effort to get the sound right. Those track#'s that many of you already got should start tracking by end of day tomorrow.

I'm off to the airport again so you guys that have your install dates Friday and Saturday...I will PM or call you end of day today to give you a firm thumbs up or or not delivery in time for your installs.

R.
      02-24-2010, 06:25 PM   #292
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
cool..let us know. I got friday scheduled at this point for install on all my goodies!
      03-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #293
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Just ordered my mid-pipes, going to hook it up with my aFe axle back exhaust. Hopefully, I can get a more aggressive sound and can't wait for the install.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #294
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Ordered 3 days ago, still waiting confirmation on shipment. Are they instock? Please let us know. Thanks.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #295
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
received my midpipes monday...installed yesterday. Fit was PERFECT. Had them installed at HPF and they where super impressed with fitment, welds, and quality of work on the pipes.

Sound is f'n great! definitely much louder with the addition of the midpipes...some noticeable increase in cabin noise under load 2k-3k during acceleration, not DRONE. Assume it will need to break in and smooth itself out over next few days.

thanks Rich! maddad rocks!
      03-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #296
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
He is away from the office flying around the country at the moment gents....once he returns I am sure he will take care of it, he always does (I "spoke" with him a few days ago per PM). If I am not mistaken he does not charge you until they are ready to ship....
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #297
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yup, Rich is indeed travelling, but knowing him, he will get back to all of you at first opportunity.

Had mine installed on Sat. Fitment was spot on, easy install, and finish is superb. Sound is getting better by the day (and smoking and smelling lots less ). I will be posting a longer review, coupled with tons of photos and video footage, took about 2 dozen dyno runs with all kinds of relevant info (Map 0 stock exhaust, Map 0 MadDad, Map 5 stock exhaust, Map 5 Maddad, etc.) Some interesting figures, all of which I will post and possibly make its way to Rich's site.

The exhaust does add gains, most notably felt in the lower RPMs (pre-3500, and between 1500-2500 most notably). The ECu kept learning and numbers were getting better, I suspect had I driven it a couple more days the recorded gains would have been/currently are higher. More to follow.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #298
sbefar01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1er

Very nice, i wondering what gains (midpipe-back) will be on MAP 3 . . . . .
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #299
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yah, I'm back...I've PM'd all you guys waiting for a reply. Any orders this week will ship this week(for midpipes). I'm going to be gone for vacation next week so anyone looking for an axleback, midpipe or both should order them by Friday afternoon. We've got 2 axleback sections in stock with polished stainless steel tips, and a couple of midpipes left at the $599.95 price. Black ceramic tip axleback units won't be back in stock for about 3 weeks and we'll need to due another run of midpipes as well so once the last couple are gone it will be another 3 weeks(ish) for those.

I do have a used ceramic tip axleback available..the one that was on my car that I just took off to test the new Street Series. Anyone interested in the used unit it's $399 (vs. $699 new). I'll sell it with the origonal 2 year warrantee. There is a small chip in the coating on one of the tips from before I installed it. It's never gotten any bigger and unless you look for it, you won't notice it when installed, otherwise the exhaust will look next to new once I clean it. There are no dents or dings anywhere. PM if interested. It's in my hands so I can ship it anytime.

R.

R.
      03-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #300
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbefar01 View Post
We only got results from Map 0 and Map 5. On Map 5 there were spots under the curve that where as much as +17 lbs. On Map 0(basically stock) the gains in the 1500-3000 rpm range were really big, more in the neighborhood of +22 lbs, averaging more in the 8-10hp in the upper rpm range. I have not had time to sift through all the data to post. On map 5 every run was getting stronger. I'm not familiar enough the JB3 and factory ECU as far as how long and how much learning will get dialed in over time but it was clear every run was getting better results..some of this is due to heat build up(until you get to the point where it gets too hot and performance drops). I've co-sponsored enough dyno days to know that performance generally goes up the first few runs but then settles in and in many cases will then go down if the car gets too hot, but in 15 runs on Map 5 every run was stronger than the last which would be an indication there is definately some time and driving needed to fully get the best results. Will post some charts shortly.

R.
      03-03-2010, 03:46 PM   #301
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I have ordered your Maddad mid-pipes 3 days ago using my real name "H--.K-ok. Please make sure that you will ship me one before you go on vacation next week and PM me the shipping informaton. Thanks and have a nice vacation.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #302
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbefar01 View Post
I didn't do Map 3 because anytime you switch to a lower map, going back to higher will necessitate adaptation. That is why we did Map 0 last (as opposed to do it first then switch to Map 5, all while the car is strapped in a dyno). I suppose I could have gone from Map 5 to Map 3 then to Map 0, but then we ran 2 dozen pulls as is so didn't want to get all crazy with it. BTW, We allowed for cooling in between every 3-4 pulls (at least 20 mins with fans blowing).

But considering the gains on Map 0 and Map 5 due to Maddad alone were fairly consistent, you can expect Map 3 to have the same set of results, all else being equal.

I think on Map 5 with the higher booost the stock DPs become the limitting factor, just MO. If I had catless DPs, I think I would have gotten even better gains with the MadDad than what I saw with the stock DPs.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #303
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Maddad just needs to get to work on some Catted DP's! You got 1 guy waiting patiently and eagerly!
      03-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #304
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Maddad Midpipes with Other Axle-Backs?

Has anyone run MadDad's mid-pipes with another brand of axle-back? For example, I'm really interested in their mid-pipes, but have the Meisterschaft Touring HP.

pge
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #305
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennislaw View Post
Has anyone run MadDad's mid-pipes with another brand of axle-back? For example, I'm really interested in their mid-pipes, but have the Meisterschaft Touring HP.

pge
+ 1

I'm toying with the idea of running the maddad midpipes with the AA axel back. I think the mini-resonators should help keep the sound down.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #306
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
+ 1
I'm toying with the idea of running the maddad midpipes with the AA axel back. I think the mini-resonators should help keep the sound down.
Not too mention the stock look of the mid-pipes!

pge
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #307
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennislaw View Post
Not too mention the stock look of the mid-pipes!

pge
I agree. This is what initially drew me towards the maddad setup. The midpipes look very OEM so we shouldn't have any problem passing inspections. Some sound clips would be nice though.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #308
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I don't think the Maddad midpipes will keep the sound down. I think it is the opposite, it will sound louder since it get rick of the 2nd cat.
Appreciate 0