E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Concerns about the BMW Stigma

11-20-2005, 08:18 AM   #1
needashower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

Concerns about the BMW Stigma

Anyone concerned about the negative image and perception other drivers have regarding BMW drivers. This is some powerful stuff at play, just wondering what peoples thoughts are. I love the cars, just concerned about road rage, destruction of property.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 08:29 AM   #2
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needashower
Anyone concerned about the negative image and perception other drivers have regarding BMW drivers. This is some powerful stuff at play, just wondering what peoples thoughts are. I love the cars, just concerned about road rage, destruction of property.
That's because everyone is always trying to race, steal or vandalize our BMWs.
Wouldn't that make you feel a bit negative?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 08:35 AM   #3
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
1. Welcome to the forum!
2. I had never driven a BMW until I test drove the E90, and also considered BMW drivers to be "snots", those gel-haired prima donnas that cut in line a merge lanes and so forth.
3. Bought one (okay two) anyway, and love the car. Really, I think most people's reaction to you on the road will be in response to your actions. If you're a courteous driver then most of the time you'll be fine.
4. Vandalism is another story, and obviously BMWs are targets because of the feelings of jealousy that cause some people to act that way.

In the end, I still love driving one!

P.S. So, take a shower already.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 08:39 AM   #4
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

Quote:
The BMW stigma is, I believe, subsiding.

The simple fact of the matter is that a BMW does not cost tremendously more then other vehicles on the road; a 325i with some nice options comes in at $32,000 and leases for around $400 a month; given the price of most of the new cars we all see on the road today, that isn't a whole lot of money to be paying for a BMW. In reality, the market is generally polarizing between the haves and the have nots; to the latter group, there is very little difference between the BMW stigma and the identical stigmas associated with Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, Porsche, Infinity or Acura.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 08:47 AM   #5
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

The BMW stigma is the only thing I don't like about my car. In the town where I work, some think I am so rich that I must have a team of maids and butlers to take care of me. Most people don't get it, I drive this car because it is an amazing machine, not because I like to be seen in a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 08:55 AM   #6
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Never worry about what someone else will think about you, its just not a healthy way of life. If you like a BMW, just buy it.

Don't ever make a car decision based on a negative stigma... and also vice-versa, don't buy a car because you think it will make you 'look cool'..

As for concerns about other people being 'jealous' ie. destruction of property. Its usually way overblown IMO. If you drive like a normal person and not a jackass, noone will mess with your car. I've owned 2 BMWs so far, and both were my daily driver to some nasty and crime-ridden places, and never had a problem whatso-ever. I've seen other nice cars keyed up because the bastard decides to take up 2 parking spaces or some other non-sense.

Just my .02cents on this type of stuff In the end, go with the car you really want. Thats what is going to make you happy in the end, if you love the E90, go with it, screw what anyone thinks about you !
      11-20-2005, 10:20 AM   #7
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

People can really get stupid with this. They wouldn't talk about your 40000$ Explorer, but if it is a BMW, prepare to get stupid comments frequently. Kind of "Why would you buy your meat at this market... when you have a BMW." And we are not even talking about mean jealousy.

It helped me to identify stupid people more quickly. After all, it is their problem. I love my car and while this kind of behaviour did disturb me, now I find it quite funny.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 10:25 AM   #8
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor
People can really get stupid with this. They wouldn't talk about your 40000$ Explorer, but if it is a BMW, prepare to get stupid comments frequently.

so true, I get crap about having a 34K car from people with huge SUV's and pickups that cost WAY more

tons of people really have no idea how much things cost, and don't even consider BMW's because there's a perception that they're more expensive than they are.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 11:01 AM   #9
TECENG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
so true, I get crap about having a 34K car from people with huge SUV's and pickups that cost WAY more
Actually, if you factor in the cost of gas over a three-year period, they are paying WAY WAY more...

330i Sparkling Graphite | Terra | Walnut | Steptronic | Sport | Premium | Navigation | Comfort Access | Cold Weather Pkg
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 11:39 AM   #10
schwma
My first bimmer...but definitely not my last!
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Guess that's a nice thing about living in L.A. -- so many bimmers, that there's possibly a reverse-stigma going on. hehehe What? You DON'T have a bimmer? Who are you..... LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 11:45 AM   #11
ON325i
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

Garage List
2006 e90 325i  [0.00]
had this experience yesterday,

in parking lot, gong for a spot, a civc with those bbq-style exhaust waiting for some friends i guess.

i went out of the car, cuz his car made so much noise, i give them a quick look, not even a stare. That guy rev this engine so loud and stuff for so long trying to bluff me or something

i'm like... dude...
      11-20-2005, 11:49 AM   #12
schwma
My first bimmer...but definitely not my last!
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreslogic
had this experience yesterday,
in parking lot, gong for a spot, a civc with those bbq-style exhaust waiting for some friends i guess.
i went out of the car, cuz his car made so much noise, i give them a quick look, not even a stare. That guy rev this engine so loud and stuff for so long trying to bluff me or something
i'm like... dude...
That's hysterical! Ninnnn ninn ninn ninn ninn--------Ninn nin nin nin nin!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 11:59 AM   #13
bobnaz
BMWCCA/NASA
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe ZP/ZS/Dinan ECU+Exh

Garage List
1999 M3  [0.00]
2007 ZSP ZPP Step a ...  [0.00]
Never a problem in 5 years...my last BMW was a M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 12:02 PM   #14
timlang
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i

Doesn't really seem to be a problem in Vancouver, although there are a *lot* of bimmers out here, and I mean a ton of them. Last night driving home I counted 9 BMWs just in the immediate area around my car in the freeway. On my daily commute, it is common to see 4-5 bimmers in a row lined up at an intersection, and that doesn't even begin to factor in all the Porche, Merc, Audi, Lexus, Infinity, Acura, etc, etc. I guess Vancouver is just a nice car kind of city.

Would be interesting to see imperical data on what the actual breakdown of new car sales in Vancouver area is.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 03:17 PM   #15
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
How does that joke go?

What's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?
-BMWs have the pricks on the inside.

I still like that joke. BTW, never had a problem living in West L.A. Lots of Bimmers so I really don't stand out.
      11-20-2005, 03:28 PM   #16
BMW Enthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: 99 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3
Never worry about what someone else will think about you, its just not a healthy way of life. If you like a BMW, just buy it.

Don't ever make a car decision based on a negative stigma... and also vice-versa, don't buy a car because you think it will make you 'look cool'..

As for concerns about other people being 'jealous' ie. destruction of property. Its usually way overblown IMO. If you drive like a normal person and not a jackass, noone will mess with your car. I've owned 2 BMWs so far, and both were my daily driver to some nasty and crime-ridden places, and never had a problem whatso-ever. I've seen other nice cars keyed up because the bastard decides to take
up 2 parking spaces or some other non-sense.

Just my .02cents on this type of stuff In the end, go with the car you really want. Thats what is going to make you happy in the end, if you love the E90, go with it, screw what anyone thinks about you !
I totally agree, you can't go through life worrying about what others think. Enjoy your life the way you want to, not on how others will perceive you.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 03:50 PM   #17
spitfire6000
NJ NYC BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i Monaco/Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by needashower
no offense but please tell me you really arent concerned with what u just wrote about.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 05:02 PM   #18
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire6000
no offense but please tell me you really arent concerned with what u just wrote about.
Jeez, some people
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 05:22 PM   #19
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3
I agree! I'll never understand why so many people worry about such nonsense. Yeah, I'm fully open to the thoughts and feeling of my family members and close friends but strangers .... well, let's just say I'm not losing any sleep over it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 06:35 PM   #20
spitfire6000
NJ NYC BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i Monaco/Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_325Ci
I agree! I'll never understand why so many people worry about such nonsense. Yeah, I'm fully open to the thoughts and feeling of my family members and close friends but strangers .... well, let's just say I'm not losing any sleep over it.
lmao my point exactly. And its not just this post. Im seeing many posts on this forum recently about strait up bullsh!t. Like im seeing topics and concerns that even paranoid hermits dont have. WEIRD is all i can describe it as...i mean a car is a car thats it. Its just a piece of metal and plastic and its not even that expensive.

Do people sit around obsessing over a toaster they just bought? or a new oven? well its technically the same crap as what a car is. Main point is: people around here really need to calm down about their cars. Its an unnecessary obsession over nothing.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 06:52 PM   #21
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire6000
lmao my point exactly. And its not just this post. Im seeing many posts on this forum recently about strait up bullsh!t. Like im seeing topics and concerns that even paranoid hermits dont have. WEIRD is all i can describe it as...i mean a car is a car thats it. Its just a piece of metal and plastic and its not even that expensive.

Do people sit around obsessing over a toaster they just bought? or a new oven? well its technically the same crap as what a car is. Main point is: people around here really need to calm down about their cars. Its an unnecessary obsession over nothing.
Its actually kinda scary....like these people are just testing us because the answers that
we give to those kinds of posts would be black or white;; no room for a grey area.
Makes you wonder....
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 06:54 PM   #22
Atty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 X5 48i M-Sport

Garage List
Been driving them for years, only get compliments. If other drivers can't handle it, then f&%* 'em.