BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Need Help: Best DP for N55

Hi guys. Been a while considering whether to install an aftermarket DP on my N55 135i or not. I don't really know which one is the best and the most reliable. I know afe and AR. Does any of you have own opinion why I should choose certain DP compared to others? Let me know guys. Newbie for DP here, so really need comments and opinions.

I will probably pair that DP with stock N55 mids and Meisterschaft GT axle back. Let me know what do you think and the best DP I should choose with that combination. If it bothers you to explain your reason and opinion in public, just PM me and I will respond to it as soon as I can.

Thank you guys. Please help.
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Do you really want the best? Then get the most expensive.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i
Do you really want the best? Then get the most expensive.
Yeah right. The problem is their price is quite similar to each other. What's the most expensive DP for you? I found AR but I might be wrong. Thanks
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 03:34 AM   #4
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Vishnu is pretty expensive if that's what equals best to you, but in all reality it's a pipe. Theres Minor differences between most I'm sure and all will achieve the same basic result with slightly diff sounds. I have a friend with vrsf down pipes on his 135 which are quite affordable compaired to others and a friend with ar. Honestly when riding in both with the improved turbo spool I wouldn't know which was which unless you told me.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwbreed View Post
Vishnu is pretty expensive if that's what equals best to you, but in all reality it's a pipe. Theres Minor differences between most I'm sure and all will achieve the same basic result with slightly diff sounds. I have a friend with vrsf down pipes on his 135 which are quite affordable compaired to others and a friend with ar. Honestly when riding in both with the improved turbo spool I wouldn't know which was which unless you told me.
Probably I'm going with AR DP. Do you really know the pros and cons of catted and catless? I might be going with the catted one since it has at least one catalytic. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 19 View Post
Probably I'm going with AR DP. Do you really know the pros and cons of catted and catless? I might be going with the catted one since it has at least one catalytic. Thanks
It's still not guaranteed you will pass emissions even with a catted aftermarket DP. Which is why I decided not to bother with the catted DP and just got catless. Doing emissions before I install them so I won't have to worry about it for two years
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

With a catted HFC you can at least past the visual safety check...emmissions is a different story as the N55 will throw a cel even with the catted hfc.
      01-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

i recently bought the AR catless pipe. I haven't installed yet as the car is just hanging out in the garage but the quality of the pipe itself is amazing. welds look top notch and construction is something that is built to last.

can't really recommend as i haven't installed it yet but as far as worksmanship--AR looks hard to beat.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Many people said AR is one of the best. Here's the problem, I know that changing my DP most likely will fail me in smog check because I have to do it once every two year since I bought my car out of state and Cali is really strict with emission. What matter to me is the smell. Does catted DP produce smell just like catless? I don't want to deal with the smell at all but for smog check I understand that I have to deal with it but not for smell.

Let me know pros and cons of going catless or catted. By the way, I have no tune and I don't plan to do any tune, so is it worth it to have aftermarket DP? Or should I just go with mid pipe if I want something louder?

Thank you,

Carlo
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
justindelb
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I got the Burger tunning catless DP and it sounds amazing and could tell the gain in power.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
By the way, I have no tune and I don't plan to do any tune, so is it worth it to have aftermarket DP? Or should I just go with mid pipe if I want something louder?
Don't bother with either DP then if you are not going for a tune, as both versions will very likely throw a check engine light on the dash.

If you just want more noise, get a BMWP exhaust with Y-pipe delete, or a similar aftermarket system.
      01-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Don't bother with either DP then if you are not going for a tune, as both versions will very likely throw a check engine light on the dash.

If you just want more noise, get a BMWP exhaust with Y-pipe delete, or a similar aftermarket system.
yup. axle or midpipe back for strictly sound
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #13
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam
Quote:
By the way, I have no tune and I don't plan to do any tune, so is it worth it to have aftermarket DP? Or should I just go with mid pipe if I want something louder?

Okay. I plan to do Meisterschaft GT with stock N55 mids but do you have any recommendation for mids if in case its too quite for me? Thank you for your input! Really helpful!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MonsterNtheMaking
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post

yup. axle or midpipe back for strictly sound
Any suggestion for mids? I plan to get Meisterschaft GT for the axle back
Appreciate 0