BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-22-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
ZedClever
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i space grey/black

Clutch Rattle in neutral not heard when clutch depressed in neutral

I have done a search and found people with a similar issue but no resolution posted resolution after going to the dealership.

This morning I noticed that when my clutch IS NOT depressed, there is a rattle in the transmission. Sounds like the flywheel? When the clutch is fully depressed in neutral, I do not hear this noise at all.

Background: I have about 800 miles on the car and have obeyed the break in rules. Although I have always driven manuals I find myself incapable of perfect shifts every time (especially from 1 -> 2 just like many, Yeah I know about the CDV mod). Some days are better than others but I am hyper critical of my own driving, but I am certain any bad shifting I have done has been within completely acceptable parameters.

Anyone else get this noise?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
AustinGelbM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

Welcome to manual tranny BMWs. You have not seen any resolution for a very good reason. The CDV may help the shifts but the rattle will remain. I am keeping my CDV and working with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
ZedClever
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

That was actually the answer I was hoping for. I don't mind if it is normal noise but given that i dont always shift perfectly (albeit not bad!) I was worried I had done something. Would still like the comfort of hearing from others, and I think I'm gonna do an oil change after break-in anyway so I can ask the dealership at that time as well.

Just went out to my car and started it up after sitting for a couple hours. Now I dont hear the noise whether or not the clutch is depressed in neutral. Maybe I just had some clutch slipping on the way to work today
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
calvin1224
Rep
Drives:

i had the same noise. took it to the dealer and had the flywheel replaced. noise gone now.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
ZedClever
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So drove my car at lunch. When I first started it, there was no noise; either when the clutch was depressed or not, in neutral. Drove around for a while, maybe I'm having an off day, but couldn't seem to get great shifts, but nothing too bad (I'm hyper-critical of my shifting). Stopped at a light and noticed the noise, same as before, guessing the fly wheel because it sounds like a a spinning rattle. Depress the clutch, no noise. I repeated the exact same steps after stopping at a store, start the car no noise either way, drive for a while, hear an audible clanking not too loud but you definitely notice it when it's not there e.g. when the clutch is fully depressed.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

ZedClever,

Does it rattle when shifting from 1st to 2nd? I took mine to the dealer for the rattling noise on idle too and they said my performance exhaust was installed too close to the differential. It still seems to rattle. Maybe I should tell them to check the flywheel.
      04-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
ZedClever
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I sometimes get a rattle from 1st - 2nd but I have attributed that to occasional poor shifting, e.g. low revs on my part. But I certainly could be wrong. And the two noises are totally different. I wish I was more articulate. The occasional clanking I get from 1st to 2nd, is similar to lugging or shifting at too low rpm, almost like you're gonna kill it, but no where near that noisy or sever. The in neutral noise, is more like a spinning rattle which is why I thought flywheel but again I could be totally wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #8
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

Yeah, I usually shift at 3k from 1st to 2nd and get that noise. Probably poor shifting on my end as well. Usually when going uphill and shifting too slow. I have noticed that when depressing the clutch...instead of pressing all the way down... press it 75% down and quickly shift, it's less jerky and noise is gone.

The noise on neutral for me is more of a clanking noise. Good luck finding the fix.
      04-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
ZedClever
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks you too. Like I said it's not a terrible noise and maybe its completely normal. I just find it odd that it isn't present when the clutch its depressed or when the car first starts up. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #10
ZedClever
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So maybe I should have searched the M3Post first.I just did some reading. I am wondering if our noises are normal. I just searched clutch rattle and there are quite a few posts describing exactly what I am talking about. From what I gather, it is probably norma,l well known noise. If you hear the noise when the clutch is depressed or if the rpm's drop when the clutch is not depressed then there could be a problem. So I'm just going to mention it when I take it in for the oil change. (wow you should see the amount of debate over there about such noises).
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Evo MR Touring

95% of all manual transmissions I've seen did this, and it was something to do with the clutch throwout bearing or something... I wouldnt stress this one... its like bitching abotu the wastegates making tapping sounds... the make sounds because they are doing their job.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #12
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyek View Post
95% of all manual transmissions I've seen did this, and it was something to do with the clutch throwout bearing or something... I wouldnt stress this one... its like bitching abotu the wastegates making tapping sounds... the make sounds because they are doing their job.
Yes, throw out bearing.
However, if the sound is excessive and it's loud, that is NOT normal.
IT could lead to failure.

Also, there could be a design problem, a materials problem, assembly issue, etc... Throw out bearings should not be loud.

But, if you lock into something and you keep trying to hear it, it will become much louder and a bigger problem than it really is.
Appreciate 0