10-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #23
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnime View Post
i never thought of that. guess it would be covered under warranty though. i'll do it next time.
its not covered. they will charge you for the oil but they will put it in for free. i am not going to drive all the way there to have someone top off my oil. i just thought the 2 quarts was the wierd piece. a little oil consumption is not a bad thing
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #24
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastauto View Post
its not covered. they will charge you for the oil but they will put it in for free. i am not going to drive all the way there to have someone top off my oil. i just thought the 2 quarts was the wierd piece. a little oil consumption is not a bad thing
and they will charge you a premium price for the oil as well. I make sure I have the right oil at home. If the oil level is at min. it means you can ad a liter, so fairly issue.
And as mentioned before, be patient with the electronic dipstick, it can take quite some time to react.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #25
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
and they will charge you a premium price for the oil as well. I make sure I have the right oil at home. If the oil level is at min. it means you can ad a liter, so fairly issue.
And as mentioned before, be patient with the electronic dipstick, it can take quite some time to react.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #26
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Quote:
How aggressive, exactly, were you sir?

Pacific BMW aggressive?
Not quite. The first 30 - 80 miles saw varying degrees of load and lift (letting the engine slow the car down, not the brakes) put on the engine to seat the rings properly and then I drove up to the dragons tail on day 2 to put some heat to the engine. I wasn't hitting red line but did give it WOT several times. After the 1200 mile service I tracked it at Road Atl and didn't hold back much. I had all the fluids analyzed and everything checked out great. At 6K miles I had BMW change the oil again and that analysis came back the other day with excellent results. I'm burning no oil and seeing 29-32 mpg on the highway so I think the engine is happy. As I've said before everyone has a different opinion on break-ins but I go by what professional engine builders have all told me and I've never had a problem with a new engine. It's an endless debate but if my car was burning as much oil as some I'd be concerned.
      10-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #27
Oaktree
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 - 2010 M3 - 1999 M3

I'm in the drive it like you stole school. My 1M saw 145mph within 10 miles and that's 10 mph slower than my 535i saw at mile 5 -no oil usage. Funny thing is my 535i did it at ~700 lower rpm.
I can't wait to have it back in the states and report on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #28
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastauto View Post
I guess it depends on the dealer. I've never been charged for oil topoffs here in Atlanta.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #29
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
I guess it depends on the dealer. I've never been charged for oil topoffs here in Atlanta.
Dealer wanted to charge me to top off the coolant with WATER. Best part is I asked for coolant and they brought water in a coolant bottle as if I wouldnt notice.

If you have to ask it was Pacific
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #30
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Dealer wanted to charge me to top off the coolant with WATER. Best part is I asked for coolant and they brought water in a coolant bottle as if I wouldnt notice.

Thats ridiculous, but I've learned not to be surprised anymore...

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #31
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
Not quite. The first 30 - 80 miles saw varying degrees of load and lift (letting the engine slow the car down, not the brakes) put on the engine to seat the rings properly and then I drove up to the dragons tail on day 2 to put some heat to the engine. I wasn't hitting red line but did give it WOT several times. After the 1200 mile service I tracked it at Road Atl and didn't hold back much. I had all the fluids analyzed and everything checked out great. At 6K miles I had BMW change the oil again and that analysis came back the other day with excellent results. I'm burning no oil and seeing 29-32 mpg on the highway so I think the engine is happy. As I've said before everyone has a different opinion on break-ins but I go by what professional engine builders have all told me and I've never had a problem with a new engine. It's an endless debate but if my car was burning as much oil as some I'd be concerned.
From your post I undertsand "lift". Can you explain "load"?

Thanks,
Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #32
BMW Gator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C8/R8/1M/X5/JK Rubicon/FJ40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post

I must have missed something. What's wrong with topping off with water? I have always used distilled water for top off.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #33
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Quote:
From your post I undertsand "lift". Can you explain "load"?
Load meaning 1/2 to 3/4 throttle from a low rpm to a somewhat high rpm (in the same gear) and letting the drivetrain put load on the engine. I'd wind it out to say 5K - 6K in 2nd or 3rd gear and then lift to let the engine wind down to about (1600 rpms) and slow the car with the engine. Doing this repeatedly when the engine is very new helps seal the rings. Obviously, this is hard or impossible to do in traffic but I was out of that within 15 miles of taking delivery.
      10-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #34
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's kind of hard to say you're burning no oil when u changed it at 1200 and 6000 miles. The light didn't come on for me on the 135 until around 6k miles and it didn't have a 1200 mile service.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #35
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Quote:
Load meaning 1/2 to 3/4 throttle from a low rpm to a somewhat high rpm (in the same gear) and letting the drivetrain put load on the engine. I'd wind it out to say 5K - 6K in 2nd or 3rd gear and then lift to let the engine wind down to about (1600 rpms) and slow the car with the engine. Doing this repeatedly when the engine is very new helps seal the rings. Obviously, this is hard or impossible to do in traffic but I was out of that within 15 miles of taking delivery.
Thanks so much!

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #36
SUBIMMER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2004 cobb STI/ AW 1M comming s

At 15000 km now. Had the first oil change done at 1700km . Had to add a quart at 14500.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #37
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Gator View Post
I must have missed something. What's wrong with topping off with water? I have always used distilled water for top off.
i think its the being charged for it part.
Appreciate 0