BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
faster than a ZR1 around VIR' oak tree turn!

hi folks,
picked up a copy of C&D lightening lap issue. great article with some good comparo info. unfortunately they used the longer course than what I had run so lap times don't jive with mine but a notable comparo was the speed exiting this turn. as you can see the ZR1 topped the chart with 41.7 mph. I have attached a screenshot from my data log for that same turn showing 43 mph. yes I have R comps but so does the ZR1. I didn't think my car would have had a chance matching a ZR1 in any catagory but numbers show differently and I am very impressed with my little whips performance here. of course I can't match a ZR1 down any of the straights but I thought this was significant considering the vette is 200 lbs lighter than our cars with all the goodies that it comes with. on a side note, really impressed with porsche panamera coming in second around this turn. don't know how they do it but it is amazing! can't wait to see the results once I put in the LSD and a flash tune. it'll be a dragon slayer. lets discuss...
Attached Images

01-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Cool, nice driving. what App is that? Those results seem puzzling though; A 1M faster than a GTR around the same Corner? Yea, the GTR is heavy, but that car was basically made to take on corners like that one..

I could be wrong though
      01-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Yandyr...that corner is very tricky to take b/c of the setup coming in there and the elevation changes that happen. Where one car's setup may keep it balanced another may be a bit skiddish.

Kori nice job on keep your speed up around that corner!! You coming out on the back straight in 2nd or 3rd? I normally use 3rd b/c 2nd will just light up the rears
      01-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandyr View Post
Cool, nice driving. what App is that? Those results seem puzzling though; A 1M faster than a GTR around the same Corner? Yea, the GTR is heavy, but that car was basically made to take on corners like that one..

I could be wrong though
the app I am using is Harry's Laptimer. that particular corner doesn't seem to suit the GTR but I am sure it'll blow the doors off most cars everywhere else especially the uphill esses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Yandyr...that corner is very tricky to take b/c of the setup coming in there and the elevation changes that happen. Where one car's setup may keep it balanced another may be a bit skiddish.

Kori nice job on keep your speed up around that corner!! You coming out on the back straight in 2nd or 3rd? I normally use 3rd b/c 2nd will just light up the rears
Focus,
I tried both gears but it seem to me 2nd gear was the way to go although have to be careful modulating the throttle coming out of that turn. this was my first time there and there is a lot of time to be made up with more seat time.
      01-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
the app I am using is Harry's Laptimer. that particular corner doesn't seem to suit the GTR but I am sure it'll blow the doors off most cars everywhere else especially the uphill esses.
Of course I speak without ever actually being at that particular track, it was just odd.. glad these cars are balanced enough to take such a corner at those speeds.

@pixelblue thanks for the App name
      01-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
I was kind of surprised the GTR wasn't among the top 3. One would think an awd trick setup as GTR would have done better. The boss was way down even with r comps
      01-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

What r comps are you using?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

That corner will definately favor a car with a shorter wheelbase as it's a very sharp corner. Almost feels like you're doing a U turn its so sharp. Interesting though in the 1m vs the boss 302 convo going on they show the gran course lightning lap times and the GTR did blow away the 1m on the rest of the track lol.

Surprising the ttrs and cayman R beat the 1m too...
      01-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
That corner will definately favor a car with a shorter wheelbase as it's a very sharp corner. Almost feels like you're doing a U turn its so sharp. Interesting though in the 1m vs the boss 302 convo going on they show the gran course lightning lap times and the GTR did blow away the 1m on the rest of the track lol.

Surprising the ttrs and cayman R beat the 1m too...
That's another surprise, I would expect maybe the Cayman R to beat the 1M, that car handles pretty awesomely, but the TTRS is a bit weird.
      01-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerox445
What r comps are you using?
I'm wearing BFG R1.
      01-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep

I don't have any personal experience with the Michelin PS Cup tires, and or the R1's, but are they really that comparable? You know as well as I that the tires make all the difference on track. I could be wrong but it seems its like comparing yokohama ao32r's to A6's. Those 2 tires I do have experience with, nd while they are both "r-comps"; once you drive on both the differences are staggering.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
The R1 are not the best r comps you can get. Hoosier R6 are much grippier. Don't have any experience with PSC or how they'd compare to R1 but I can't imagine the difference would be that significant
      01-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep

In my experience, a full faced slick is going to be quite different from something with tread. For example, Victoracer v700s to v710s or an r6. Eitherway its a wicked fast carry through you have there. Way to be.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #14
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
thanks man and I agree, a slick will always be grippier however, Michelin is on top of their game with their compounds. maybe that'll off set some of the slick advantage.
      01-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Assuming your screenshot is from an iPhone, I'll also assume that the iPhone GPS updates it's location at a rate of 1 Hz. That is likely not frequent enough to get a good instant speed readout. In other words you may have been slower at some point, but your "average" lowest speed was 43.

Not sure what testing device the magazine used, but likely something more accurate than a 1 Hz GPS.

Not trying to bash your driving at all, btw. I'm sure you put down one hell of a lap. Just pointing out that while I personally really like (and use) apps like Harry's lap timer, I wouldn't rely on it's accuracy to compare myself to others.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #16
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
the app I am using is Harry's Laptimer.
Ever thought of coupling that with a PLX Kiwi device?

That way the iphone acts as a dashcam and Harry's will overlay the data on the video. I saw a demo at sema and it was awesome.

great driving BTW !!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #17
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by int2str
Assuming your screenshot is from an iPhone, I'll also assume that the iPhone GPS updates it's location at a rate of 1 Hz. That is likely not frequent enough to get a good instant speed readout. In other words you may have been slower at some point, but your "average" lowest speed was 43.

Not sure what testing device the magazine used, but likely something more accurate than a 1 Hz GPS.

Not trying to bash your driving at all, btw. I'm sure you put down one hell of a lap. Just pointing out that while I personally really like (and use) apps like Harry's lap timer, I wouldn't rely on it's accuracy to compare myself to others.
Yes my sampling was at 1hz while CD was using 10hz vbox. I must say though it is pretty darn accurate. The difference between the two sampling rates on my local track was less than .2 sec per lap
      01-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #18
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue
Quote:
the app I am using is Harry's Laptimer.
Ever thought of coupling that with a PLX Kiwi device?

That way the iphone acts as a dashcam and Harry's will overlay the data on the video. I saw a demo at sema and it was awesome.

great driving BTW !!!!
Was thinking of picking one up. I can layer the basic data on my videos but the kiwi will let me get more layering info like rpm and gear selection which is pretty cool
      01-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #19
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Yes my sampling was at 1hz while CD was using 10hz vbox. I must say though it is pretty darn accurate. The difference between the two sampling rates on my local track was less than .2 sec per lap
Get the Emprum gps add-on, Harry recommends this one as well. Sampling is 4hz.
      01-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #20
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Get the Emprum gps add-on, Harry recommends this one as well. Sampling is 4hz.
very cool, thanks! will look it up
      01-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #21
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

How in the world is that challenger #3 on that list? OP, the difference between r1's and psc's are pretty large, but that really doesn't matter. You were moving out of that corner with some serious speed!
Appreciate 0