BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

A/C problem

So last summer the A/C in my 2008 135i stopped blowing cold air. It was still under warranty so I took it to dealer and they said there was some sort of leak in a seal somewhere.

Now here it is a year later and it's happening again. However it's no longer under warranty. Also one odd thing about this time is it seems to still blow cold on the passenger side, but not the drivers side. Do these things have completely separate A/C units for each side because of the dual climate control? Or is it more likely the compressor is OK and something in whatever directs the air around for the climate control is what's at fault?

Anyone have any idea what something like this is going to cost to fix?

Dan
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
mawtu
Old Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpine White 135i

I just had my A/C Evap replaced a two weeks ago. It took a couple of days for them to do it. I also had the issue of blowing hot on the driver's side but cold on the passengers side. Strangley, I think I might have the same issue with them not putting something back on the firewall. I also seem to notice more cabin noise coming from right behind the steering wheel that increases with a higher speed and when the engine is pushed. I'm going to drive it for a few days and see if it's my imagination. Part #64-11-9-290-888 (Evap) and three gasekt rings with different part #'s.

Update was that they didn't put the steering wheel boot back on right. I took it back and they fixed the boot. No noise issues after that.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
mawtu
Old Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpine White 135i

Oh..Mine was under warranty so I'm unsure about the cost. It's very labor in intensive because of the location. I also think the Evap is two parts, one for the driver's side and one for the passenger's side. That's why the passenger side was still working.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You should take it back in and see what the problem is.

IF its the same part as last year... that would still be covered bc of BMW two year parts warranty(even the labor since that was covered while under the car's basic warranty).

IF its some thing wrong... you can make your case with the dealer that this was the problem all along... and just never found/fixed. Its worth a shot. But I think in the end... you might be on the hook for part of the repairs. Who knows... you might get the guy from BMW who makes these calls(ie the regional manager)might be in a good mood and he will "good will" the entire repair. You don't know unless you ask.

It does sound like something is wrong with the blend door of the HVAC system. One AC system... but two separate ventilation system to have different air temps for the driver or passenger.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
It does sound like something is wrong with the blend door of the HVAC system. One AC system... but two separate ventilation system to have different air temps for the driver or passenger.
But also, it is common for this symptom to be present in a BMW when the system charge is incorrect. Apparently, our A/C systems are very sensitive and the slightest under or over charge can cause this issue.

I had multiple A/C leaks repaired on an E46 and 3 years later it again began blowing warm air from some, but not all of the vents. This time, it was fixed with a $90 recharge and worked fine for 3 more years until I traded it in.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Apparently it's the evaporator. They said there is a hole in it. Weird thing is when I brought it in last summer for the same thing, when it was still under warranty, they said it was just a seal even though I complained about a smell in the cabin.

Is it possible for there to be a hole in the evaporator without it being a defect? The car only has 19k miles and has always been garaged.

They said they are going to apply for "assistance" from BMW but he said the best we can hope for is a 50/50 split. Should I try to fight this myself?

Dan
Appreciate 0