BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
Apiasto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Black 128i

Distant Extremes (DXHid) HID Kit

First off I would like to start off by saying that I know the proper way of doing this is to buy proper HID housing headlights (I do plan on doing this in the near future I am just inpatient and wanted to try something now )

I have ordered a few sets of HIDs from the above seller and I have not been steered wrong. Dave is a good guy with great customer service and above all great products. I had an HID kit on my RSX Type S that i purchased from him that was running without issues for about 4 years. So when i decided that I wanted to give HIDs a shot on the 1 I instantly thought of dxhid.com.

I received the kit last week and just got around to installing it today. I have to say that i was impressed with the BMW halogen headlights. They do rather well with HIDs all things considered. I was able to squeeze everything into the back of the headlight so I did not have to drill any wholes in the covers. I am running a Canbus 35w kit (6000k) in the headlights and a Canbus 35w kit (3000k) in the fog lights. I also purchased a full LED conversion (interior) and also upgraded the Tag lights. Everything went in without issue and worked flawlessly. I have been running the fog lights for about a month now without any errors as well as no errors from any of the interior lights. I will update if any errors appear but as of now it's error free without any coding

Overall I would recommend DXHid to anyone that is looking for any sort of lighting. If it is not posted up on his site I would give him a call or shoot them an email because he might have something. I know this thread is useless without pictures so here they are (I know they are crappy iPhone pictures but my friend who has a camera is in Puerto Rico until Sunday). If you guys have any questions feel free to ask.

The Kit:

Yes they are installed in this picture:

Compared to the halogen bulb:

The cut off:

Head on view (kinda):

The Car

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

looks good!
      09-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Apiasto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21
looks good!
Thank you ... I need to lower it a little I'm thinking sport suspension will suffice for me coupled with koni fsds and H&Rs sway bars
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
PapaB
Private
Rep
Drives: '10 135i,'07 MCoupe,'09 X6 5.0

nice job, but ya gotta match those fogs.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
Apiasto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaB
nice job, but ya gotta match those fogs.
I'm thinking I'm going to try to get them in amber ... I like the white/blueish tint with yellow but I want to match the amber city lights
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
ricksin
Rep
Drives: GT 328xi

HID

Great job.

I want to install HID for my 128. When you install the HID bulb, do you need to remove the bulb cap? See the picture for my concern.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
Apiasto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksin
Great job.

I want to install HID for my 128. When you install the HID bulb, do you need to remove the bulb cap? See the picture for my concern.
No you leave that in. Without that the light will scatter like hell. Distant Extremes all the way!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
Ashock
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 128i 6MT in Monaco Blue

Nice job! Just some questions.

Is this direct plug and play HID kit with no error codes?
Any need to upgrade wiring harness?
Does the ballast get powered by the original halogen connector?
Does it require any aiming to not blind oncoming drivers or do the stock halogen reflectors do a good job for cutoff?
Lastly, can you post some pictures of how these hids light up the road?

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
Apiasto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashock
Nice job! Just some questions.

Is this direct plug and play HID kit with no error codes?
Any need to upgrade wiring harness?
Does the ballast get powered by the original halogen connector?
Does it require any aiming to not blind oncoming drivers or do the stock halogen reflectors do a good job for cutoff?
Lastly, can you post some pictures of how these hids light up the road?

Thanks!!!
Thank you sir!

To answer your questions:

These are in fact directly plug and play there is no need to cut or upgrade the OEM halogen wiring harness. The ballast plugs directly into the halogen connector.

There is no replacement for doing it the proper way and putting the HID bulb in a housing designed to properly direct the light. That being said I have to say that the halogen reflectors do a fairly good job with the HID bulbs. As you can see from the pictures above the cut off is pretty clean and however it does glare a bit. I had a few of my friends drive in front of me after installing them and out of the 5 that stayed in front only 1 complained. I plan on doing the Depo headlights (maybe by like spring). I can take a picture of the road when it gets dark.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Looks great! Been wanting a solid HID conversion set since I got my car.
      10-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Link to the product?
      10-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
Ashock
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apiasto View Post
Thank you sir!

To answer your questions:

These are in fact directly plug and play there is no need to cut or upgrade the OEM halogen wiring harness. The ballast plugs directly into the halogen connector.

There is no replacement for doing it the proper way and putting the HID bulb in a housing designed to properly direct the light. That being said I have to say that the halogen reflectors do a fairly good job with the HID bulbs. As you can see from the pictures above the cut off is pretty clean and however it does glare a bit. I had a few of my friends drive in front of me after installing them and out of the 5 that stayed in front only 1 complained. I plan on doing the Depo headlights (maybe by like spring). I can take a picture of the road when it gets dark.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Thanks! Seems like the solution for me as I want something in the meantime that's brighter and whiter than the stock halogens without having to go the DEPO route as that's a lot more money.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
Ashock
Private
Canada
Rep

Also I cannot find the Canbus 35W kit that you ordered. The only one listed on Distant Extreme's website is the 50W XE+ Kit.

I'm thinking to get 5000k and this is the only link that's available from DIX's website.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5000K-50w-XE...POS=viewandbid

Did you purchase it through eBay?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #14
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashock View Post
Also I cannot find the Canbus 35W kit that you ordered. The only one listed on Distant Extreme's website is the 50W XE+ Kit.

I'm thinking to get 5000k and this is the only link that's available from DIX's website.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5000K-50w-XE...POS=viewandbid

Did you purchase it through eBay?
Same question. Hope he can point us to where he got his
      10-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #15
Apiasto
Private First Class
Rep

Hey guys yea I got it from his ebay store because his Site is still under construction... If you go to the xe+ premium ballast (35watt) you should be able to choose options... Just add the size and add canbus and you'll be set... Mine are 6000k I had 5000k on my RSX they were pretty nice but I liked the bluish tint... If you go with the 50watt kits remember that they're brighter... One a side note It's been about 2 months no errors with my fogs and about 1.5 months with my headlights no errors so it's definitely a solid kit

Also check out his BMW tag lights they are ridiculously bright.. I got those and a full interior LED conversion from him no issues
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #16
Ashock
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apiasto View Post
Hey guys yea I got it from his ebay store because his Site is still under construction... If you go to the xe+ premium ballast (35watt) you should be able to choose options... Just add the size and add canbus and you'll be set... Mine are 6000k I had 5000k on my RSX they were pretty nice but I liked the bluish tint... If you go with the 50watt kits remember that they're brighter... One a side note It's been about 2 months no errors with my fogs and about 1.5 months with my headlights no errors so it's definitely a solid kit

Also check out his BMW tag lights they are ridiculously bright.. I got those and a full interior LED conversion from him no issues
Ah I see. Thanks! What is the default wattage of our halogens? Would I need a relay harness if I go to the 50Watt option?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #17
Apiasto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashock View Post
Ah I see. Thanks! What is the default wattage of our halogens? Would I need a relay harness if I go to the 50Watt option?
No ... just make sure you get the canbus kit. That is what deletes the errors. Its basically a load limiting resistor that fools the computer into think there is a halogen bulb there.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #18
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
so the kit of this type(same link as above): http://www.ebay.com/itm/5000K-50w-XE...POS=viewandbid

and a canbus.

hmmm

where did you mount balast? What about canbus resistor, which is said to be hot
Did you take off bumper?

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #19
Apiasto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
so the kit of this type(same link as above): http://www.ebay.com/itm/5000K-50w-XE...POS=viewandbid

and a canbus.

hmmm

where did you mount balast? What about canbus resistor, which is said to be hot
Did you take off bumper?
I went with the 35 watt kit not the 50 and I was told that the resistor does not get as hot with this kit. I stuffed all of it in the back of the headlight and it has been working just fine for the past month or so. The fog light ballasts were mounted on the fender liner. Works well and in fact the canbus resistor does not get that hot. The bumper stayed on for both installs. The driver side was a little challenging since the air box does not give you much room to work with but the passenger side was a breeze.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #20
ChristianReyess
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Where can I buy the white versions of the ugly orange lights we have in our head lights? I always see them online and now that I am going online to buy them I dont know how to look them up. I keep getting the turning lights that are on the side of the car, above the front wheel well -____-
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #21
Apiasto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianReyess
Where can I buy the white versions of the ugly orange lights we have in our head lights? I always see them online and now that I am going online to buy them I dont know how to look them up. I keep getting the turning lights that are on the side of the car, above the front wheel well -____-
Do you mean the euro or these?

http://www.**********s.com/Depo-Headlights-E82.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #22
Ashock
Private
Canada
Rep

I was finally ready to pull the trigger on these and now they're priced at $565 on eBay??!!!
Appreciate 0