BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Oh dear! Here we go again.....

Got an engine warning light last night - the half shaded, yellow one. Also much less power - felt like no boost. But ran smoothly. This morning, no problem - no light, full power (although I didnt' push it hard at all).

Took it to the dealer. They couldn't do anything today, but said it's OK to drive until they can look at it next Wednesday. SA stated - "It's probably a sensor playing up. If it was a big problem, the light would still be on and it'd be red. Just take it easy". To which I responded - "I guess since I'm doing as you've recommended, if it blows up, it'll be BMW's problem". To which he went all wide eyed.

Any views on continuing to drive it - I'm a little nervous.

This is a 2009 car, with 31,000 k's. I dont' drive it hard, other than the occasional "squirt" - to the extent that at 31,000 k's, I still have 1/2 to 1/3 of tread still on the original tyres.

So far, BMW has replaced the injectors, replaced both Vanos cams, replaced the HPFP and upgraded the software. The latest job was the HPFP & software 4-6 weeks ago.

What are the chances of the HPFP needing replacement again.

Interested in people's views

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

100%
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

that sucks im only just getting my first hpfp drama...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Comp

man i'm kinda glad i didnt get a second hand 135... sounds like they are a lot of trouble!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
100%
You think - in such a short space of time?

If it is, it doesn't say a lot about the quality of the "new and improved" HPFP they're installing.

Talk about confidence inspiring --- NOT!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

There was another odd thing that happened - along with the warning light and loss of power, came a very appealing change in the exhaust sound. Louder & deeper. Unfortunately, this too was gone this morning.

This didn't happen with the long cranks that resulted in the HPFP replacement.

When I mentioned the change in exhaust sound to the dealer, the reply was that it had to do with how the car reacts to the error.

Does this mean that there's some kind of valve or actuator in the exhaust system that can be altered under a particular set of circumstances - sounds like it.

FYI - I have tried the "golf tee" mod (long since removed), and this change was MUCH more noticable (I'm still not sure I noticed much change from the golf tee mod).

Anyone else every had the exhaust change with an engine light / HPFP failure?

I'd love to find out how it happened - I'd have a crack at making it perminent - it sounded fantastic
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post
There was another odd thing that happened - along with the warning light and loss of power, came a very appealing change in the exhaust sound. Louder & deeper. Unfortunately, this too was gone this morning.

This didn't happen with the long cranks that resulted in the HPFP replacement.

When I mentioned the change in exhaust sound to the dealer, the reply was that it had to do with how the car reacts to the error.

Does this mean that there's some kind of valve or actuator in the exhaust system that can be altered under a particular set of circumstances - sounds like it.

FYI - I have tried the "golf tee" mod (long since removed), and this change was MUCH more noticable (I'm still not sure I noticed much change from the golf tee mod).

Anyone else every had the exhaust change with an engine light / HPFP failure?

I'd love to find out how it happened - I'd have a crack at making it perminent - it sounded fantastic
Taking a stab in the dark here - if your car's in "limp mode" your wastegate's will be fully open as you'll be operating in the equivalent to a NA mode. This would give you what you're experiencing.

You can always zip-tie/ golf-tee the vacuum line in your exhaust to keep the flap open at lower revs if you want also once you get your car fixed.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #8
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Golf tee mod... Love it.....option 4/5 with JB4. I love the gauge hijacking of this tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
Taking a stab in the dark here - if your car's in "limp mode" your wastegate's will be fully open as you'll be operating in the equivalent to a NA mode. This would give you what you're experiencing.

You can always zip-tie/ golf-tee the vacuum line in your exhaust to keep the flap open at lower revs if you want also once you get your car fixed.
Mattyv - you're wastegate theory makes sense to my non-technical mind.

Re your Golf-tee suggestion, are you suggesting the "traditional" mod at the rear silencer - in which case, I've tried and reversed that - didn't make much difference to my ear.

Or, are you saying there's another vacuum line near the snails that I can "golf tee" to keep the wastegates open, and therefore get the sound I heard in limp mode?

Sorry if that's a stupid question, but I did say I wasn't technical
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep

messing around with the vacuum lines on the wastegates does not seem like a good idea to me
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #11
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
No, the wastegates and exhaust flap are two unrelated things.

I'm going but instead of sticking a golf tee in the vacuum hose to keep the flap open in the exhaust, you can also zip tie it as an alternative. But you're right, the difference is negligible really.

Last edited by MikeVictor; 05-05-2011 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 01:24 AM   #12
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
No, the wastegates and exhaust flap are two unrelated things.

I'm going but instead of sticking a golf tee in the vacuum hose to keep the flap open in the exhaust, you can also zip tie it as an alternative. But you're right, the difference is negligible really.
you know that you can do that same mod without using a ziptie or a golf tee? there is a relay or something behind the passenger side brake light that you can disconnect, does the same thing
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 01:38 AM   #13
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Disconnecting the solenoid in the boot throws a shadow code, but you can always clear that with PROcede or BT. If not, then service will know you've been messing around.

OP, sounds like hpfp starving your engine of fuel. Exhaust note sounds deeper because your car was running NA, so the turbos were not there to muffle the exhaust. Same thing happens when you run PROcede in NA map, exhaust sounds AWESOME

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 01:43 AM   #14
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Thanks for clarifying that. I think I'm done with the mod to the muffler - it doesn't make enough of a difference.

I was really just wondering whether I could do something that would safely make it sound like it did in limp mode. I guess not if it means messing with major componentry.

I'm still feeling pretty uncomfortable about driving it for 5 days, knowing it has a problem. But the dealer didn't really give me much choice.

Wouldn't it be nice to have enough confidence in dealer service people to be able to act on their recommendations with confidence. Rather than feeling like they'll say anything to get you out of their way, and stop causing them work. Unfortunately, we've had too many examples of this to feel any differently - thus my scepticism.

Oh well, not much I can do! Fingers crossed that it doesn't cause anything major, and if it does, that BMW and / or the dealer steps up to their responsibility.

Sorry, I'm just being silly now.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 02:56 AM   #15
Alpha Trion
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Convertible

love the issues... brand new or second hand. Had the best line up our car could prob have.. S5 ready to race and my fuel pump crapped itself on launch, causing backfire and no power..

embarrassing
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 05:01 AM   #16
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You think - in such a short space of time?

If it is, it doesn't say a lot about the quality of the "new and improved" HPFP they're installing.

Talk about confidence inspiring --- NOT!!!
My feeling is that something else is causing the HPFP failures. Everyone had a dead HPFP, but there are a small group whose pump keeps failing. I think the newer design pumps just have better tolerance to the actual cause of the failure. Just my theory...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #17
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack135 View Post
love the issues... brand new or second hand.
Not sure if this is a question for me, or not.

But if it is, it was new in June 2009.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 01:59 AM   #18
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Update

Seems it was a VANOS solenoid.

Which is interesting - I was told they were replaced when the VANOS cams were replaced.

I guess the good news is it wasn't the HPFP

Hope that helps others.

Cheers,
B.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 02:29 AM   #19
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Seems it was a VANOS solenoid.

Which is interesting - I was told they were replaced when the VANOS cams were replaced.

I guess the good news is it wasn't the HPFP

Hope that helps others.

Cheers,
B.
Thanks for the info - will be valuable to everyone here.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 12:37 AM   #20
naki_gaza
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 435 Msport Coupe.

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [9.00]
Similar experience

I've been hunting all afternoon for someone else who has had this problem.
About a year ago travelling along at just over 100km/hr, when engine starts to miss and the orange engine warning light comes on, running as rough as hell. Pull over and search owners manual. Suggests that is a problem with the catalytic converter overheating (which is not surprising if unburnt fuel is getting into it), suggests carry on (gently) and have it checked. After about 10 km at 90km/hr the miss stops and the warning light goes out. Later at dealers, they say it was a random coil fault on one of the cylinders, and all was working properly now. OK one relieved owner.
Skip forward to yesterday afternoon, same warning light comes on, but no miss, but very much in limp mode! Stopped, rang dealer, fortunately someone was there lat on a Saturday afternoon, told to bring it in and leave it there. So I now have their 318 loan car in my garage.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 04:32 AM   #21
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

I've been going through the same thing. Had the injectors replaced. So far no further issue.

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #22
naki_gaza
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 435 Msport Coupe.

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [9.00]
Ok, so now we have a diagnosis. HPFP!
And it gets better, there are no replacements in NZ, so they are trying to source one from Singapore, otherwise it has to come from Germany.
Appreciate 0