BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #23
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
On the PE...

It's 95% sound, 5% a little more push above 4k.

It breathes better, no doubt, but the minimal gains it provides is above 4k.

Try the throttle/ECU reset as I mentioned above and let me know.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #24
Broady
Private
Rep
Drives: 130i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
Do a throttle reset first.

Turn ignition all the way on without starting the engine. Then, depress the accelerator all the way to the floor (past the 'notch' point).

Hold it there for at least 30 seconds.

Turn ignition all the way off again.

Then, start your car and go for a hard drive.

If this hasn't fixed the issue, I'd suggest the sprintbooster.

I have an N52 and must say it's very responsive. I reset the throttle/ECU via that method every month or so. First time I did it it felt completely refreshed.
Interesting. I don't know if my car has a notch point - is yours auto?

Regardless, I'll try this sequence this afternoon.

Also, how do you get ignition without starting?

Just key in, or key in and press start without clutch in (I thought this was ACC)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 01:57 AM   #25
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broady View Post
Interesting. I don't know if my car has a notch point - is yours auto?

Regardless, I'll try this sequence this afternoon.

Also, how do you get ignition without starting?

Just key in, or key in and press start without clutch in (I thought this was ACC)
Yep, mine is AT. Even with or without a notch point, it should be flat to the floor.

Basically, as it is with an auto, place key in fob area, and press start button without placing foot on brake. Hence, ignition is on, battery is on, but engine is not running.

Not sure if it's the exact same procedure for MT's. In an AT, the brake needs to be depressed to start the engine, so the easy way to turn ignition all the way on without starting is to go through the start procedure but without the brake depressed.

If that makes sense?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:59 AM   #26
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderb View Post
I agree with Mr Blonde, its really not worth tuning the 130i, if you've just got your baby give it a little time for you to get to know it and for it to get to know your driving style.

But I do like the idea of getting a Powerbox, just to see how much of a difference it gives.

Also Flinchy, if you're not doing a hill start, even a slight one, our cars / gearboxes are designed to do second gear starts.

try the second gear starts and cruising in slow traffic in second instead of first and I think you'll find some of your problems disappear.

The single best thing I EVER DID was to put some Koni FSD shocks onto it. They are simply a beautiful thing to drive on.

I had 18" Run Flats, then put some 19" non RFTs and that improve ride and grip a fair bit, but since putting the Koni's on the car 3000kms a go it is now a completely different beast to drive, it no longer crashes over bumps etc... its still got the great stiff handling when you need it but a new found compliance.

If you'd like to give the Koni's a test on my car, I'm in Toowoomba if you wanted to come for a drive on the weekend?
i never have an issue taking off in first gear, 1-3 is nice and smooth. 1-2 is a little jolty due to the much harder acceleration hah.

you're missing what this problem is, i think :/. even in 6th on the highway, fooot down, wait wait wait ACCELERATION... heck 4th around the streets near home, it's even WORSE, it's major major lag.

i'm currently running non RFTyres, and it's nice and smooth. i've never tried RFT's other than RE040a's and they were fine though imo.

i've seen plenty of people saying getting a tune is pretty nice for n52's... i dont believe it's 2k nice though. but powerbox (mainly for the lag-removal) seems like a nice cheap idea.

Quote:

Turn ignition all the way on without starting the engine. Then, depress the accelerator all the way to the floor (past the 'notch' point).

I have an N52 and must say it's very responsive. I reset the throttle/ECU via that method every month or so. First time I did it it felt completely refreshed.
MT here, no notch lol

i've heard something about this, but apparently aftera short time the ECU re-learns to add in the lag to the accelerator... i've only read about it on E46's though.

ok well, looks like ill grab the powerbox soon, and for those playing at home... well i'll be able to take videos and such to see if it actually makes much of a difference

Quote:
Yep, mine is AT. Even with or without a notch point, it should be flat to the floor.

Basically, as it is with an auto, place key in fob area, and press start button without placing foot on brake. Hence, ignition is on, battery is on, but engine is not running.

Not sure if it's the exact same procedure for MT's. In an AT, the brake needs to be depressed to start the engine, so the easy way to turn ignition all the way on without starting is to go through the start procedure but without the brake depressed.

If that makes sense?
putting the fob in turns the battery on... no clutch depressed just makes it flash at you to put the clutch down lol.

ED: i'm trying to get the powerbox from a singapore dealer though, from reading 40 pages of posts about it, it's tuned differently, to a climate MUCH closer to that of australia (slightly higher average temp though), than the american one.
no biggie though really.

Last edited by flinchy; 12-05-2011 at 05:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #27
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Is it really worth doing anything to an N52 NA car?
That's like saying is it really worth doing anything to a S52 NA car...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #28
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attuale View Post
I think he meant as a $$$ to power ratio even on a S52 it will never be as good as a turbo car?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #29
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
I think he meant as a $$$ to power ratio even on a S52 it will never be as good as a turbo car?
+ 1 I think Kenny is referring to bang for buck, value for money mods. Plus there is very little power to gain from a naturally aspirated engine compared to forced induction. Each to their own though
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #30
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attuale View Post
No that's not what I meant, we had the first 130 in Australia with N52 and it was an awesome ride. I'm just saying from an NA standpoint the value for money in performance mods related to a tune are very low in my opinion.

There are heaps of other fun mods you can do that might give you more bang for buck so to speak. Stuff like an exhaust will get you no performance gain but adds a much nicer note.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 02:36 AM   #31
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No that's not what I meant, we had the first 130 in Australia with N52 and it was an awesome ride. I'm just saying from an NA standpoint the value for money in performance mods related to a tune are very low in my opinion.

There are heaps of other fun mods you can do that might give you more bang for buck so to speak. Stuff like an exhaust will get you no performance gain but adds a much nicer note.
well $300 for ~10-15hp sounds okay to me (along with the throttle response)

$900 set of headers from america is apparently 12-15hp in itself

not sure what other power applications there are for the N52 though... i hear piping/rear muffler for the exhaust are pretty much useless to upgrade except for looks/noise"?

ED: the 'hold down accelerator' thing, didn't help anything at all with the throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 03:18 AM   #32
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
well $300 for ~10-15hp sounds okay to me (along with the throttle response)

$900 set of headers from america is apparently 12-15hp in itself

not sure what other power applications there are for the N52 though... i hear piping/rear muffler for the exhaust are pretty much useless to upgrade except for looks/noise"?

ED: the 'hold down accelerator' thing, didn't help anything at all with the throttle response.
I understand your thinking BUT tune doesn't give you 10-15 bhp. Headers doesn't give 12-15 bhp. That's marketing hype.

If you think you can buy a tune and install headers and get 30 rwhp or even 30 bhp, you're being misled.

You could get a shorter diff ratio but again it's not good value for money.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #33
Mechz
Naturally Aspirated Fiend
Rep
Drives: 130i

I've just accepted the fact that unless you go for forced induction, the 130i is about as powerful as it ever will be unless you have deep pockets and don't mind emptying them.

Having taken mine to the track last week, it was a ton of fun but the guy with the 135i just drove away from me.
      12-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #34
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I understand your thinking BUT tune doesn't give you 10-15 bhp. Headers doesn't give 12-15 bhp. That's marketing hype.

If you think you can buy a tune and install headers and get 30 rwhp or even 30 bhp, you're being misled.

You could get a shorter diff ratio but again it's not good value for money.
no, it's independant dyno graphs posted by users of the products
i don't give a crap what the manufacurers say, THAT is marketing bs most likely

but when a few hundred users post their own before and after dyno graphs showing 10-15whp? still marketing hype?

heck, simple headers and a catback exhaust on my lancer gave it roughly 12kw at the fly. that wasn't even with a tune. or a CAI.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 10:00 PM   #35
Blacky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I haven't posted on here for a while since I let me 1er go but I like to look back and see what is happening in 1er land, as the forum is well supported.

Lag, like some others have said I don't think this is LAG it is more the electronic throttle control and you have to learn the difference from your old car.

I do remember when I first got my 1er the throttle felt really wierd and a little slow in the up take. This was not lag just the way the throttle pedal work to the way the car went.

I think you will get use to it if you are willing to wait.

Can I ask what you previous car was, did it have a throttle by wire?

I never thought the car had lag, it did lack some go up top but then again it was only a simple 3.0 N/A engine, but I loved it all the same and miss it a little still LOL

Spend you money elsewhere i.e. LSD or suspension, far better value than trying to change the throttle modulation that offers no power or speed advantage, it is only perception.

My 2c and now back to boring Lexus land
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 03:15 AM   #36
Choclove23
Infrequent Browser
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
I haven't posted on here for a while since I let me 1er go but I like to look back and see what is happening in 1er land, as the forum is well supported.

Lag, like some others have said I don't think this is LAG it is more the electronic throttle control and you have to learn the difference from your old car.

I do remember when I first got my 1er the throttle felt really wierd and a little slow in the up take. This was not lag just the way the throttle pedal work to the way the car went.

I never thought the car had lag, it did lack some go up top but then again it was only a simple 3.0 N/A engine, but I loved it all the same and miss it a little still LOL

Spend you money elsewhere i.e. LSD or suspension, far better value than trying to change the throttle modulation that offers no power or speed advantage, it is only perception.

Hey, what are you doing here?
How is that ISF going?

Black 130i M Sport; 18" Oz Ultraleggra; 225/40 & 245/35.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 03:57 AM   #37
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post

well... even on this very forum, if you search for it, plenty of info comes up on the sprintbooster/powerbox/etc. being used to increase the sensitivity to remove the lag. it's not a power related lag, just the time it takes between putting your foot down a little and the engine responding. it's EXTREMELY noticable to me, and unpleasant as anything.

it's just... tap the accelerator and immediately lift your foot, the revs rise AFTER your foot has lifted off. that's not how it's meant to be, not at all. seeing that it's an electronic thing, it's very certain to me that the signals can be changed, and the delay removed.

Power alone from the powerbox (even if it's only a little) seems comparable to the 'out of the box' tunes from places like powerchip - anyway, will see for sure soon enough... the whole interchangable settings means i can do back to back dyno runs stock to 'tune on' to actually empirically see if it does anything. if it doesn't? oh well, i enjoy my car slightly more than before regardless.

i'll never get used to it... last car was a prelude VTI-R (that stopped working pretty much...), car before that was a 1.8 Lancer with mods (mostly breathing mods - oh boy did it ever heel-toe smoothly). - both mechanical throttles. - i'm getting more and more annoyed by it day by day, not less.
if there's no way to remove this lag... well besides the windscreen wiper having no intermittance and the auto sensor always being 1 speed to fast... it comes really close to ruining my non-hooning enjoyment of the car :/. it's such a beautiful car though (to drive as well i mean).. and quick lol.

when suspension comes in at 2.5k easily for anything decent.. and about the same for an LSD... $300 for this seems pretty awrite hah.
getting proper non-stretched tyres on the 9.5 rears is a no brainer, just have to wait to wear out the current ones (not that i'm exactly looking forward to it, considering i also need to roll the guards lol)

ED: ok so it's $320 for the PBX from america... or $430 from singapore (tuned for 98 with a higher temperature threshold rather than 97 and retarding timing at 33 celcius... which in THEORY is a bit better)

Last edited by flinchy; 12-08-2011 at 12:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 05:59 AM   #38
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Ok, well i've ordered a powerbox from the lovely folk over in singapore ~$400AUD shipped >_<

here's hoping it makes a difference! even 5hp.. heck, 2hp, would be fine by me at the price, assuming the throttle boost crap it does works and makes driving a little nicer

still slightly cheaper than a sprintbooster. next post will be after installation (they said it'll be posted next week and arrive before xmas in theory... fingers crossed!)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #39
Choclove23
Infrequent Browser
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i M-Sport

Garage List
Thats a bit pricey!

Black 130i M Sport; 18" Oz Ultraleggra; 225/40 & 245/35.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #40
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
no, it's independant dyno graphs posted by users of the products
i don't give a crap what the manufacurers say, THAT is marketing bs most likely

but when a few hundred users post their own before and after dyno graphs showing 10-15whp? still marketing hype?

heck, simple headers and a catback exhaust on my lancer gave it roughly 12kw at the fly. that wasn't even with a tune. or a CAI.
I'd be interested to see hundreds of dynos showing before and after on a 130i with a 15 rwhp gain.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #41
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

You're not talking about lag, you're talking about throttle response. Welcome to drive by wire.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #42
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choclove23 View Post
Thats a bit pricey!
well a sprintbooster by itself is more than that shipped *shrug* - i'm happy to be the yet another test dummy.
everyone on bmw.sg and babybmw totally raves about it, so we'll see.

there's a few threads on this forum saying expect 10~hp... there's only one saying it does nothing, with intake and exhaust... but that doesn't even make logical sense, let alone mechanical.

Quote:
You're not talking about lag, you're talking about throttle response. Welcome to drive by wire.
yes, and that's exactly what the sprintbooster/powerbox is meant to improve. it's a specifically quoted feature.

the problems with getting any graphs though, is most of them are from the US, or even UK, running 91 RON fuel. and we all know that these ECU's heavily retard timing on 91RON... seems most BMW drivers are pretty mentally challenged like that.

heck, 15 flywheel horsepower, i'd be EXTREMELY happy with.

Last edited by flinchy; 12-14-2011 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #43
Blauweisser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M-Sport

Quote:

Am I reading between the lines correctly? Does the ECU "learn" to adjust throttle response according to driving style? Does your technique restore the setting to a more agressive response?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #44
lavaletta
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 04 3.0i Z4; 09 135i; VO 1M

I went through all this with my Z4. Whilst its a 3.0, it has the old M54 engine. It might be that there is bit more slack in the N52, but certainly there was only realistically about 5hp to be gained at the wheels with a tune on the M54. As Mr Blonde has pointed out, there just isn't that much room for improvement in the 6 cylinder NA engines.