BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #23
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section147 View Post
Added the PPK and the PE before I put her to sleep for the winter.
313's (and Michelin PPS) to be ordered shortly. Since there wasn't
an "is" in 2012...I had to build my own.
We will accept you as one of our own Section147. It's not your fault...it's not your fault.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #24
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

This author hit on all the reasons I ordered my car. I honestly hope I can hang onto it.

It's funny, I was hanging out with my friend on Saturday (fellow nj chapter member and former president). He was trying to convince his wife that he eventually needs a 135is because "it's the last real BMW!" The author seems to get the point.

What's also funny is that I was so set on space gray, but now that I'm seeing more 135is's, they're all looking great to the point where I think I could live with any of them.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #25
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

I agree on all accounts though I wonder if a cashmere silver one even exists out there. Never seen pics of a titanium silver, cashmere silver, or vermillion red 135is.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #26
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Also wanted to add: one of my fears with this car was the accessibility of the power and whether or not it would be powered out of the fun realm. Based on what I think is enough power for a car, I really should have gotten a 128i since my ZHP was plenty of power for me. I was worried it would be too powerful to truly enjoy, but my fears haven't been realized. It's intoxicating, but the fact that you get full torque before 2k means you can sneak around and wring it out a bit and enjoy the hell out of it. No waiting for 5-6k like an NA motor. I'm even getting to the point where I almost understand why people modify these cars for more power. I won't, but I'm starting to get it.

I'm not hating the Runflats yet. I was worried at first but when I took them off in December I found out that the dealership gave me the car with all four corners inflated to 50 psi. No wonder it was insanely jarring. I am anal enough to have checked this upon pickup, but I was swept away in the moment. Now that I'm at regular pressures, they're much more bearable. Word to the wise: check your pressure when you pick up your car!

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #27
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
We will accept you as one of our own Section147.
Why, thank you. Now let's get this party started!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #28
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Well I have to get the actual car before I can get the party started, no? Guess I'll be showing up fashionably late.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #29
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Nice article, thanks for posting. So glad that someone FINALLY bothered to review the lowly, last year of production 135is. I guess most of the journalists think it's just a parts bin car, so don't bother to give it any press.....

I like R&Ts closing paragraph:
"The 135is and the cars that came before it explain why BMW means more, to more enthusiasts, than any other brand. The Bavarians could slap sedan- and wagon-shaped four-door bodies on this car, call it the new 3-series, and it would easily remain the best car on the road for another decade."

Last edited by Kouper; 04-02-2013 at 10:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #30
drFUNK
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is LMB 6MT

Quote:
I love the way the LeMans Blue looks, loved the old Montego Blue, too, but I just couldn't for the life of me pull the trigger and drive a blue car. Lil too flashy for me, so I'll admire it from afar with my more boring mineral grey. Same way I think that Ferrari 458 Italia looks AMAZING in yellow for some reason, but I could NEVER have a yellow car either.

You guys both have or get the blue stitching, too? Getting a deep sea blue or lemans with the blue stitching is just the most perfect combo I could imagine. I debated getting it on mine, but think it'd be too busy/clashy with the grey.
It's a tiny detail, but the blue stitching option helped me settle on LeMans Blue - otherwise I really had no clue which color to pick, because so many looked good. Space Grey was pretty high on my list, but a close friend has an e90 in Space Grey and I felt that would've been too much on the gratuitous road trips that will follow delivery.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 02:09 AM   #31
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSlow View Post
Having just traded an M3, I would be inclined to agree. RFT's would also have to go, and the steering feel would have to be tidied up a bit too.
Any regret trading the M3 for 135i?

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 02:42 AM   #32
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

I truly appreciate the brutal honesty of this article. In the current era of media coziness with their subjects and constant advertising revenue pressures, I'm pleasantly surprised to see R&T drop BMW to the mat in this fashion. It's direct but completely fair.

I am profoundly disappointed with the F30 and I can't reasonably be accused of slagging the latest 3 Series just because it's new and I have an old one. I still have my E92 and my wife has an F30. We both regret getting the F30 (long story) but it only has two more years left on the lease and, while it's no fun at all, it's not exactly waterboarding either so what's done is done.

This article really nails all the issues: the F30 is soft, floppy, dull, lifeless, overwhelmed with technology and eco-garbage and, perhaps most importantly, it no longer differentiates itself from the many cars that have been gunning for the 3 Series for years on end.

When I bought my current 335i, I test drove an A4 and A5 among other cars. They felt like slightly upscale Accords to me -- toy-like steering feel, no "spark" in the chassis, nothing that reminded me that I was in a supposed German sports sedan or coupe. I think we can all see how Audi has been chasing BMW and making great strides -- many people think the A6 is a better overall car than the 5 Series -- but as much as Audi deserves some credit, BMW deserves even more blame. I would have never guessed that the F30 would drive more like the now ancient A4 than the E9X, but that's my experience. It feels like regression and it came as a total surprise to me.

I was talking this over with my wife and she asked the obvious question: "If people like you no longer like new BMWs, aren't they worried about losing their base?" As much as I wish BMW really cared about enthusiasts first, I'm not dumb and I do understand the new "luxury for every niche" business model. BMW built their brand around people like me, but now it's so much bigger than people like me. BMW has the badge and they can sell it attached to just about anything no matter how it drives.

Consider: just 10 years ago, BMW's U.S. line-up (sans M cars) consisted solely of the 3, 5, 7, the recently introduced X5 and the Z3 -- unless I missed something, I believe that was it! Today, there's the 1, 3, 3GT (coming soon), 5, 5GT, 6, 6 Gran Coupe, 7, X1, X3, X5 and Z4. And there's talk of several more variants that will split hairs further, plus the "i" line of eco-cars in the pipeline. But will they leave room for a relatively light, simple car like the current 1 that prioritizes driving pleasure above gadgets and fuel economy? Unlikely.

Die hard last model year E82/E88 buyers like us (my 128i is on order) are a blip on the map, but at least we still have the opportunity to take one last ride into the BMW sunset. I'm excited for the new car, but I'm almost equally bummed that BMW is no longer making new cars that appeal to me because they were the last hold-out in their respective market. 5 years from now, I may be looking for a car again, and it will probably be a struggle to find a car that I like better than the current 1 -- that was never a concern before BMW's current direction.

I'm sure BMW will continue to thrive economically, but subjectively -- especially from an enthusiast's point of view -- I believe they're losing the plot. I can't say whether that will eventually dilute the mighty BMW brand and cause them to become reflective about their change in direction, but if so, I hope someone back at HQ digs up this article and reads it over and over until it sinks in.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 05:12 AM   #33
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
I truly appreciate the brutal honesty of this article. In the current era of media coziness with their subjects and constant advertising revenue pressures, I'm pleasantly surprised to see R&T drop BMW to the mat in this fashion. It's direct but completely fair.

I am profoundly disappointed with the F30 and I can't reasonably be accused of slagging the latest 3 Series just because it's new and I have an old one. I still have my E92 and my wife has an F30. We both regret getting the F30 (long story) but it only has two more years left on the lease and, while it's no fun at all, it's not exactly waterboarding either so what's done is done.

This article really nails all the issues: the F30 is soft, floppy, dull, lifeless, overwhelmed with technology and eco-garbage and, perhaps most importantly, it no longer differentiates itself from the many cars that have been gunning for the 3 Series for years on end.

When I bought my current 335i, I test drove an A4 and A5 among other cars. They felt like slightly upscale Accords to me -- toy-like steering feel, no "spark" in the chassis, nothing that reminded me that I was in a supposed German sports sedan or coupe. I think we can all see how Audi has been chasing BMW and making great strides -- many people think the A6 is a better overall car than the 5 Series -- but as much as Audi deserves some credit, BMW deserves even more blame. I would have never guessed that the F30 would drive more like the now ancient A4 than the E9X, but that's my experience. It feels like regression and it came as a total surprise to me.

I was talking this over with my wife and she asked the obvious question: "If people like you no longer like new BMWs, aren't they worried about losing their base?" As much as I wish BMW really cared about enthusiasts first, I'm not dumb and I do understand the new "luxury for every niche" business model. BMW built their brand around people like me, but now it's so much bigger than people like me. BMW has the badge and they can sell it attached to just about anything no matter how it drives.

Consider: just 10 years ago, BMW's U.S. line-up (sans M cars) consisted solely of the 3, 5, 7, the recently introduced X5 and the Z3 -- unless I missed something, I believe that was it! Today, there's the 1, 3, 3GT (coming soon), 5, 5GT, 6, 6 Gran Coupe, 7, X1, X3, X5 and Z4. And there's talk of several more variants that will split hairs further, plus the "i" line of eco-cars in the pipeline. But will they leave room for a relatively light, simple car like the current 1 that prioritizes driving pleasure above gadgets and fuel economy? Unlikely.

Die hard last model year E82/E88 buyers like us (my 128i is on order) are a blip on the map, but at least we still have the opportunity to take one last ride into the BMW sunset. I'm excited for the new car, but I'm almost equally bummed that BMW is no longer making new cars that appeal to me because they were the last hold-out in their respective market. 5 years from now, I may be looking for a car again, and it will probably be a struggle to find a car that I like better than the current 1 -- that was never a concern before BMW's current direction.

I'm sure BMW will continue to thrive economically, but subjectively -- especially from an enthusiast's point of view -- I believe they're losing the plot. I can't say whether that will eventually dilute the mighty BMW brand and cause them to become reflective about their change in direction, but if so, I hope someone back at HQ digs up this article and reads it over and over until it sinks in.
Very well written but also saddening because:

A) It's true
B) I've only just started my love affair with the brand which now seems like it's over.

I'm in my mid-20's now and it all started with love for the E46 330Ci (ZHP) back in around 2005 when I was old enough to start caring about driving. I was still in school, just passed my test and was driving a run-around...well an old Euro hot hatch to be exact but I always aspired to own that 330 which my little beater couldn't compete with, financially of course it was just not possible. A work colleague bought a 2002 330Ci (pre-LCI) in around 2006 and I was jealous beyond belief, he was of course receiving all kinds of underhand remarks regarding his young age and such a car but in truth he was earning well and paying for it on his own (paying a lot). It sounded beautiful, drove and handled fantastically and really reminded me of my Dad's old business owned E36 328i (although a little dumbed down in comparison to) which I remember having a lot of fun in as a passenger; the ultimate driving machine it was, aside from the M3 of that period which I also hear was a dumbed down successor to the E30 (which is perhaps a bit before me).

It was a kick up the butt for me and I knuckled down at studies/work and passed my time car-wise up until 2011 through the tuner scene (yes, I did the Honda thing) and VW scene where after a period of working until my knuckles bled I decided to assess financially the viability of dropping so much cash on a car. I loved my old cars but every time a stock 3er would drive by I couldn't shake wanting one.
I worked damn hard to get to my goal and I made it, proudly, and although a brand new car was still perhaps a little out of reach, 2-3yr old models were within in budget which was good enough for me, especially weighing up that fact that I didn't take the initial hit on depreciation.

At this point the E46 had gone out of production and initially I had hated the E90/E92, the E46 had my heart but as things do they take time to grow on you. I rearched a little into the 'new age' engines and found the little gem which was the N54; coming from a tuner background I knew I'd find it hard to resist the urge and needed something tuneable, I felt like I would grow tired of thr E46 too quickly so the N54 quickly became top dog and I purchased a 335i M-Sport which looked fantastic, drew looks and nasty comments also but in all honestly I felt disappointed, disappointed in the step down in driver enjoyment in comparison to that E46 I had a chance to drive and fall in love with, it was plainly just a cruiser which needed some work to bring to life. I lived with it for a while and had many a modification planned as many of the E90 guys over here have done but I was talking serious money to get the car where I felt it needed to be brake, suspension and power wise.

The old ZHP crept back into my head, it still looked fresh (still does today) so I started sniffing sround when this odd little car called a 135i popped up. I naturally assume that the 35i badge meant it included an epic engine and indeed it did as well as including the brakes and handling characterics I wanted from the E90 but out of the box. So here I am, a 135i owner which is a close as I have been to that old E36 328i and here is where I'll stay. I feel that the next step 'forward' will be the 1M or V8 M3 but I don't anticipate much after; I hold hope for the M4 but price wise it'll take a few more years of blood and sweat to justify that expense.

So, kids like I was, maybe they're working today towards owning their E82 some day and they won't regret it one bit but in the future? I just don't think that a BMW is going to appeal to the 'driver's' of this world for much longer, and that's sad.

Last edited by Cozy; 04-03-2013 at 05:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #34
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
What do they mean about the cruise control? My 2008 335i has it on a stalk...are the putting it on a button in future BMWs?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #35
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

They're putting the activation button on the steering wheel. My other half has it on her's and you do need to look down to see what you're doing; I like the stalk on mine better as I just flick it forward, job done.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #36
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Im in an F30 335i and although it's a great car, it's definitely not as sporty as the E90 335 I had. I have 17 months left on my lease and I am Looking forward to getting into either an M235i when it come out or a 135i or is. I test drive a 135i last year very briefly and absolutely loved it. That is the car that I should have bought.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #37
CptSlow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
Any regret trading the M3 for 135i?
Not really. Of course it was an M3, so occasionally I think: "damn, no M3", but not for any other reason than ego really.

So far, for the kind of driving I do, I'm really enjoying the 135is. And (no one yell at me) I actually prefer the sound of the 135is with the perf exhaust over the V8. Weird I know.
2011 E82 128i STEP (wife's car)
2007 E92 335i (SOLD) 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #38
M3rob
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Dct 2011

Garage List
2011 M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni
Quote:
It's not hard to essentially turn yours into an "is" if you want. Someone on here is actually selling their 313 rims and tires and I think those and the PE are the main things people love. You might just save your money then and not get the PPK or just get it later on down the road perhaps, especially if they offer a similar M Performance PPK as they just did for the F30 335i that also comes with fancy engine covers and stuff.
How does the 135is compare with Audi S5?
Why a s5 is that not about 15k more expensive and you would compare a s5 to a m3 or c63 etc. I think it would compare to s3 and other like hot hatches in this price bracket even although the speed of the thing you would not be scared of any of the above really.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #39
CptSlow
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3rob View Post
Why a s5 is that not about 15k more expensive and you would compare a s5 to a m3 or c63 etc. I think it would compare to s3 and other like hot hatches in this price bracket even although the speed of the thing you would not be scared of any of the above really.
I would disagree with your comparison categories. M3 and C63 are comparable to the RS5. S5 is more like the 335i/is.
2007 E92 335i (SOLD) 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #40
F30form
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 Mini Cooper S Hardtop

Quote:

While you might think BMW has "forgotten" you, it has not. The F30 simply fills a different niche than you want it to. The 1 currently does what you want it to. The 2 will be designed with that mind. Although BMW doesn't make a ton of money on enthusiasts, YOU (all of you) are the influence(rs) that help the masses choose the right car for them (namely a BMW). I can definitely say, BMW watches their fan base closely. Ask me how I know...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #41
CptSlow
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30form View Post
.....BMW watches their fan base closely. Ask me how I know...
I'll bite....how?
2007 E92 335i (SOLD) 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #42
Sleeps
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is LBM 6MT

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [10.00]
2006 Mini Cooper S  [10.00]
Quote:
Also, Sleeps and Dr. Funk - y'all aren't biased or anything based on the color of the one used in the article. =P
Biased.. Not the least..
/// BMW 135is Coupe #51/586 | Le Mans Blue | MT | BB Leather w/ Blue Stitching | Glacier Aluminum | Premium Package | Heated Seats | HK
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #43
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:

Quoted for truth. Interestingly, I don't think you'll find this sentiment on the other bimmerpost boards, whose member bases consist mainly of fanboys to be honest. BMW has lost it. At least, in terms of what we grew up wanting to drive.

I have never been more unimpressed with a new car than the F30. I challenge all of you to jump in the seat of an E46 M3, so that you can remember what BMWs once felt like. Driver-oriented, simultaneously raw yet refined, rock-solid interiors, etc. Actually, I want to address that interior comment. Many new buyers find the E46, E9x interiors "boring". I also find them boring but that is exactly what I want. The interiors were always intentionally made to be "boring", because they were no-nonsense, function over form, focused on driving. That cruise control stalk reference is an excellent one.

The new cars are truly terrible. You can feel the way the cars have become softer, weaker, quieter, easier to drive, more accessible. I had a 135i and I regretted that. It sounds like the 135is is a little better.. but ultimately the end of a generation.

Future F3x owners, enjoy your marketing-driven vehicles. I'll stick to the ones BMW built when they cared more about the driving experience. BMW is a shadow of its former self. The F3x is proof. If you can't see that, you need some seat time in a pre-E9x era car for contrast purposes. The F3x is about sales, nothing more. The spark is gone.

That does leave room for the competitors to move in, but they sure are taking their time.
      04-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #44
M3rob
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Dct 2011

Garage List
2011 M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3rob View Post
I would disagree with your comparison categories. M3 and C63 are comparable to the RS5. S5 is more like the 335i/is.
Yeah would agree with that I was a bit wrong there but still don't get the car being reviewed to a Audi s5. Any how's get yourself a e92 m3 it has everything looks, power and good bit cheaper than a rs5. Cheers be safe M POWER
Appreciate 0