BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-19-2015, 05:04 AM   #1
loco
Private
Rep
Drives: Grey 135i

The JB4 iPhone app.

Anyone in Brisbane using this? If so I'd love to see it in action. Even prepared to give up a drive in my very modified Mini which is now under 63 on Lakeside.

Can find no reference to it on the Burger website.

Said to also use a custom wifi dongle with no reference on Burger.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
PermanentCraving
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: '08 AW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco
Anyone in Brisbane using this? If so I'd love to see it in action. Even prepared to give up a drive in my very modified Mini which is now under 63 on Lakeside.

Can find no reference to it on the Burger website.

Said to also use a custom wifi dongle with no reference on Burger.
Hey mate, it was all developed by a third party so you won't see any reference to it on the BMS site. Here is a link to the main post about it.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21742
      06-21-2015, 02:31 AM   #3
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

I just bought the app.. it looks ok.. the problem I have is that it requires their special jb4 connector kit.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 10:04 PM   #4
loco
Private
Rep
Drives: Grey 135i

Thanks for the reply. Don't think I'll be bothering with this.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 12:46 AM   #5
PermanentCraving
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
Thanks for the reply. Don't think I'll be bothering with this.
I personally don't think I would get it either. I am happy to log from my laptop and don't feel that I need a live readout of gauges, above and beyond the standard gauge hijacking. These features certainly aren't worth $152.99 ($118 for the connect kit + $34.99 for the app) to me.

BMWhat has a decent amount of functionality crossover (live gauge reading, code reading/clearing) and a bunch of other features on top of that. It requires the purchase of the app (android is much better apparently) and an INPA cable but it comes out cheaper and more functional and I have heard a lot of good things about it.

Just my .02c
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 12:53 AM   #6
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I have it and I think it is more than worth it.
I always thought logging with a laptop was a massive pain and somewhat dangerous. Probably didn't help that I don't own a laptop and had to borrow one every time.

Now when I get in the car I just put my phone in the holder, open the app and it connects and has gauges on screen.
If you want it to, it will automatically log every time you go full throttle as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 01:08 AM   #7
PermanentCraving
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
I have it and I think it is more than worth it.
I always thought logging with a laptop was a massive pain and somewhat dangerous. Probably didn't help that I don't own a laptop and had to borrow one every time.

Now when I get in the car I just put my phone in the holder, open the app and it connects and has gauges on screen.
If you want it to, it will automatically log every time you go full throttle as well.
Yeah, I made sure to include that I just don't think it is worth it for me specifically. I don't find logging with a laptop too dangerous because I just set it to log at WOT only, before setting off, put it on the passenger seat and off I go.

Have you thought about getting a phone mount for next to your steering wheel so you can see all of the gauges without looking down? Do you even really look at them?
      06-22-2015, 01:26 AM   #8
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I have a vent mount, so the phone is just off to the right of the other gauges.
I have spent a lot of time trying to tune my car, so yes I look at them a fair bit.
Appreciate 0