E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Purchasing E90 soon!! =) Need advice

05-16-2006, 02:23 AM   #1
zot09
Slick
United_States
Rep
Drives: car

Purchasing E90 soon!! =) Need advice

Hey everyone! I've been going around E90 post for a while, and this is a wonderful community! I'm glad that I am finally making my first post, and I hope that you will be able to help me with my questions. Anyways, I am going to be getting a car soon, and I was thinking about the IS250 and the 325i. After extensive thought, I thought the 325i would be a great car to have. Then after that, I had to think about what I could get for around $34,000(probably the limit for my new car). After going through BMWUSA.com, I decided that I would want a jet-black 325i w/ black leatherette & aluminum trim, Xenon-Adaptive headlights, Power-Seats w/ Memory, and BMW Assist w/ Bluetooth.

So here are my questions.

I have never owned a stick shift, will I have a difficult time getting acquainted? I live in northern California(Monterey), but I go to school down in southern California(UC Irvine). I will have to drive 6 hours to get home, or to go back to school, will this be difficult with a stick shift? Not only that, but once I am in so. cal, I will have to deal with the horrendous traffic. Is driving a manual really as bad as people say it is in traffic, or is it something you just get used to and do it subconsciously?

Does the 325i come stock w/ power-side mirrors, or are they manually adjustable?

Then my last question is, should I get rid of any of those options and add something else in its place, or are those options fine?

Thanks for all of your help!! I will definitely post pictures once I get my new baby!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2006, 02:36 AM   #2
MIKEYMIKE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i 6mt

If you're getting a 325i the must have options IMHO are Xenons and Sports Package.

I believe the folding side mirrors only come with premium package.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2006, 02:40 AM   #3
BiggieJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335 ZSPZPPOPP

welcome to the board zot

oh man so many things to tell you. from the list of options, off the top of my head, id say you should consider getting the comfort access. its just cool to have.

a drive up hwy 1 to montery would be my dream drive. esp. w/ stick... BUT if youve never driven a manual then i suggest get the auto. i know the irvine area pretty well and even though ive been drving stick for 10+ years, i still cringe at the thought of driving any fwys near the 405.

if your on a budget you can also look into European Delivery. you can save a few bucks that way and get to go to Germany as well. anyhow welcome again and if you need more info just PM me. oh yeah one more thing. dont forget about the model change people are expecting in a few months.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2006, 02:46 AM   #4
ajji
France
Rep
Drives: Saphirschwarz 320d

Hello,

Good to choice to go for a 325
For the manual gear I think you can get used to it... At the beginning in city traffic jam it might some time get annoying to switch often the gears but it is something that come as an automatism very soon. The advantage will be that you wil have more fun when you will drive your car in a sport way

As apparently you are quite young it will be easier to get used to manual switch than if you were drving an automatic car for 20 years

I would not consider to take an automatic car for me as I am used to the manual gear and I like toplay with the stick shift when I want to have fun... But anyway in France and in Europe automatic cars are the exception.
      05-16-2006, 05:36 AM   #5
RGRAY
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi SG/TERRA/STEP/SP/HS/CA

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
I'm glad you found us.

If you want to stay under $35,000 I would recommend.

DEALER INVOICE

325i $28,300
sport pkg. 1,455
power seats 905
xenons 730
comfort access 455
dest. chg. 695
TOTAL $32,540

Start your deal from dealer invoice and not msrp.

This is what I would get for under $35,000 on the road.

IMO, the sports pkg. and xenons are a must and comfort access is way cool.

Check the options here for msrp and dealer cost.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/bmw/...on=1&x=48&y=17

Good Luck with your choice.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/e90gar...20TINT%20A.jpg

Last edited by RGRAY; 05-16-2006 at 06:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2006, 06:07 AM   #6
BMW320i
Colonel
Oman
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 320i

Garage List
2006 320i  [0.00]
welcome to the forum zot, nice choice having the 325i

4 me, i would recommend the manual gear, as the guys said, its more fun n u feel ur controlling the car, sometimes ull get annoyed when ur in traffic n might think u choose the bad choice, but believe me, when u want 2 have fun n use ur manual 2 shift down n push the pedal, u will forget anything saying that the manual is bad

n also as ajji said, u will get used it easy, n when that happens, the changing gear process will be automatic without even u thinking should i change or not

19" velocity CSL replicas staggured // Continental sport contact 2: rear: 255/35/19, Front: 235/35/19 // Blacklines // rear OEM spoiler // y-connector // 30% v-kool tint all around // Black Roof/Mirrors // H&R Sport springs // H&R TRAK+ 15mm spacers //
BMW never makes ordinary cars . . .
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2006, 06:24 AM   #7
James Bond
Sheer Driving & Biking Pleasure
Germany
Rep
Drives: 318ti compact E36

Garage List
After zot09´s 325i-data´s following "my" E90:

Exterior Options:
Jet Black $0

Interior Options:
Black w/Leatherette Upholstery with Aluminum Trim $0

Packages/Options:
Sport Package $1,600
Power Front Seats w/Driver Memory $995
Xenon Adaptive Headlights $800
BMW Assist with Bluetooth Wireless Technology $750

Accessories:
None Selected
MSRP $30,900
Options and accessories $4,145
Destination charge $695
Total price as built* $35,740

So I come over the 34 thousand´s, but with lucky and a good salesman he could give you an discount.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2006, 08:26 AM   #8
Mr. BMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2018 Jeep Grand Che ...  [0.00]
Living in CA I would get the Sunshades $500. These will keep the sun off of your interior will parked in the hot CA sun. Plus they come in real handy if you have kids ridding around in the back seat.

I have them and love them. I keep the sides up all the time. The back I put up when I have to park in the sun.
06 330i Monaco Blue/Black (retired)
02 X5 3.0 Topaz Blue/Black (retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2006, 01:14 PM   #9
MIKEYMIKE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i 6mt

BTW, if you're looking for a good dealer in the LA area you can PM me...I know a great guy.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2006, 06:12 PM   #10
zot09
Slick
United_States
Rep

Thank you all for the great help! You were all so quick, and friendly, in your responses! I plan to pick up my car this summer once I get back home. So why is sport package such a necessity? I love how it comes with bigger wheels, sport suspension, etc, but what makes it worth $1,600? Another question is, how does the leatherette feel compared to real leather? Is it a noticeable difference? Thanks again!

MikeyMike: Thanks for the help. I would PM you about a good dealer in the LA area, but I’m not the one that is going to purchase the car(my mother is), so I’m probably going to buy it in northern California. Thanks anyways! About the mirrors, I meant just the adjustment of the glass, not the whole housing.

BiggieJ: That drive is very beautiful(and looonnnnnggggg), but I must admit that it can get scary at times. Definitely take the trip sometime, it is a great experience!

Ajji: I'm hoping that I can pick up the manual quickly. I've always wanted a manual, but thought it would be a pain in the butt to drive daily, so I would buy automatics. And thanks for the complement about going with a 325i. I would have probably gone with the IS250, BUT the car doesn't even come with Xenons(not even as an OPTION!!!). It's ridiculous paying 34k for a car without Xenons. After my mom bought her S500, and seeing the bi-xenons, I just had to have xenons in all of my future cars!

RGray: Thanks for the link, it helps. I'm hoping that I can work out a deal where I will be able to get the car for around the original MSRP when including TTL.

BMW320i: Thanks for the encouragement! How do you like owning an AW car? Do you ever regret not getting another color? I'm split on JB and AW, but I’m leaning a little closer to JB.

James Bond: Thanks for the list. When I originally built the 325i that I wanted it had SP, PP, Adaptive Headlights, and Step but the total came out to 38k! I then thought of ways that I could get it a bit cheaper so I removed PP, Step and SP, but now after everyone said that SP is a must I find myself wanting to add it to the list again! haha

Mr. BMW: Sunshades would be very cool(haha no pun intended), but with the $500 price tag I’d rather purchase the heated seats. I plan on tinting my windows anyways(probably 35% in the back), so I’m hoping that will keep my interior semi-cool. Plus, I always have the option of opening all of my windows while walking up to the car! =) Thankfully, I don't have kids yet(I’m only 19 hahaha, but I will eventually, hopefully once I’m out of med school), so the only people in the back would be my friends and family on occasion. Plus I almost always drive with the windows down.

Thanks so much everyone! You're making this experience so much easier!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2006, 06:21 PM   #11
Tropicool
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO M3

go with manual, trust me! It is so much more fun to drive, autos are lame! I have never gone back...you have so much more control over the car and what u can do with it! Ull know what i mean once u get one! U have complete control over how much power u drop to the wheels at any time.

also if u by any chance want to buy a car in Santa barbara, i know a great guy that would hook you up with a great price!

i learned stick on my dads 355spider, never have stalled once! Now i valet and i get a big smile on my face whenever there is a stick.

congradulations on the car, u will realize the class the BMW has within the first week. It is a very solid car as well as luxurious.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2006, 06:23 PM   #12
Tropicool
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO M3

oh yea, talk to me about being split between alpine white and jet black...ive been on that boat for 2 months. Ive leaned toward jet black, and also alpine white, each about 16 times. I think im just gonna tell my dealer to suprise me! On a black car im doing chrome rims, and on the white, im doing chrome or color matched white rims
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2006, 06:28 PM   #13
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Wait for a 328, get it via ED. JB or AW, ZSP. Leatherette is great. Xenons. Bluetooth if you are a cell phone junkie. Manual seats are fine if you are the only one driving the car, saves weight. Get the logic 7 instead if you like music in the car. Definitely get mom to send you to Germany for the cultural experience. Go with a sibling or friend or parent. A 328 ZSP xenons logic 7 Bt will be 33k on ED.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2006, 05:26 PM   #14
zot09
Slick
United_States
Rep

Oh sorry, and one more question. Does the "shark tail" antenna only come w/ cars equipped w/ BMW assist and Bluetooth, or all cars? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #15
sblument
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
sport pkg makes only a small sacrifice in ride quality, but it really expands the limits of the car in cornering and other rapid acceleration maneuvers. Also, the car feels more comfortable at the limit. I feel the sport pkg car handles better on the highway too -- it feels more planted and secure at speed. It also increases the top speed from 120's to 155. No, I don't drive at those speeds, but if the top speed is 155, then 85-90 feels like 60-65 in other cars. Makes highway driving effortless.

The most basic 3 series I would spec out would be a 325i, red or black, black leatherette, aluminum trim, sport pkg, logic7 stereo. I think the manual makes the car a lot more fun to drive, but only if you think you'd enjoy driving a manual car. There is no practical value to the manual -- only increased driving involvement/enjoyment if you're into that sort of thing.
      05-17-2006, 07:42 PM   #16
sblument
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
oh forgot the sport pkg also includes different seats that do a better job supporting you in cornering and other maneuvers. The seats are comfortable on long trips, and feel better even in regular (non-spirited) driving.
      05-17-2006, 08:29 PM   #17
chicagolab
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 2006 TiAg

i believe shark fin is on all e90s, I suggest doing a ED (european delivery) if your doing it to save money stay 2-3 days and you can have a more spending money for options and be within you price range and should end up much less than buying here

E90 330i | Titanium Silver | Black/Aluminum | Step | Idrive | Sunshades | PDC | Heated Seats | M3 Lip | Roof Spoiler | Front Splitters | Lux 5.0 | Blacklines
Link to my European Delivery write up:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143486
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2006, 07:23 AM   #18
BMW320i
Colonel
Oman
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 320i

Garage List
2006 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zot09

BMW320i: Thanks for the encouragement! How do you like owning an AW car? Do you ever regret not getting another color? I'm split on JB and AW, but I’m leaning a little closer to JB.
!
one of the reasons for choosing is the sunny hot weather here, it really makes difference here, i had a choice between 2 colors available in BMW showroom, the AW & another dark maroon color (never seen it b4!!)
so i choose the AW, i really liked it n it have some lexurous look

JB is a very nice color, as i said b4, dark cars look awsome when they r cleaned n polished, but really look bad if they r left 4 few days without cleaning
but if u dont have problems with weather or cleaning, i think JB is better 4 u (my opinion)

19" velocity CSL replicas staggured // Continental sport contact 2: rear: 255/35/19, Front: 235/35/19 // Blacklines // rear OEM spoiler // y-connector // 30% v-kool tint all around // Black Roof/Mirrors // H&R Sport springs // H&R TRAK+ 15mm spacers //
BMW never makes ordinary cars . . .

Last edited by BMW320i; 05-18-2006 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 0