BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 01 M5, 23 X5 45e

Will there be a 2012 1M Coupe?

It's odd that the 2012 1 Series and the 2011 1M Coupe both start production in March 2011. It's been stated that 1M production will stop around spring of 2012.

Will there be a 2012 1M Coupe starting production in September 2011? That would explain limited number of 2011 1M Coupes.

With a 2012 1M we could possibly have more choices in colors and DCT
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
LeMansM5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

If that happens, it will little bit suck for those ordering before, if they wanted DCT and a different color like LeMans blue or Monte Carlo blue.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
Mirage
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6, Z4MC, X3

This is exactly what I want to know. I was okay with buying the car sight unseen and paying MSRP because it sounded like that would be the only way to get one and they would be rather limited. I don't want to be screwed as an "early adopter" if a few months after the first deliveries you can get a 2012 with DCT (unlikely, I know) and more standard features (iPod/USB). I love the car and I'm very excited about it, but I don't feel that I have to be one of the first people to own one... I just want to be able to get one. I'd be happy to wait for a model year 2012 if one is on the horizon, especially if it will have some refinements.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
jdbunda
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
I'd be happy to wait for a model year 2012 if one is on the horizon, especially if it will have some refinements.
I agree 100%. If it's truly a limited production, I will go ahead and get one with 6MT. If I could wait and get one with a nicer color and DCT, I would prefer that. It is a little annoying, I have had a deposit down for a LONG time. If this is the car, I'm ok with getting it as is. But I would really be annoyed if after I've committed, they suddenly say "Oh look, here is the 2012 1 Series M Coupe with new interior choices, new colors, and an open book of 1 series options."

There is also the rarity factor and "investment protection". I feel a lot more comfortable buying a car that maybe isn't exactly what I want if I feel like I have something special, and especially if the rarity factor makes it easy for me to, worst case, sell and get out without too much pain if I decide it's just not for me.

I can live with it either way - just give me enough information to make my decision.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 06:05 AM   #5
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunda View Post
I agree 100%. If it's truly a limited production, I will go ahead and get one with 6MT. If I could wait and get one with a nicer color and DCT, I would prefer that. It is a little annoying, I have had a deposit down for a LONG time. If this is the car, I'm ok with getting it as is. But I would really be annoyed if after I've committed, they suddenly say "Oh look, here is the 2012 1 Series M Coupe with new interior choices, new colors, and an open book of 1 series options."

There is also the rarity factor and "investment protection". I feel a lot more comfortable buying a car that maybe isn't exactly what I want if I feel like I have something special, and especially if the rarity factor makes it easy for me to, worst case, sell and get out without too much pain if I decide it's just not for me.

I can live with it either way - just give me enough information to make my decision.

SAME HERE!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

My guess is 2011 only, and a very short production run.