BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #67
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

^ The more I read his comments the more I think he really wants a conversion van or RV.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #68
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

Ditto
      01-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #69
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

This whole 370Z thing is a bit off topic (the topic being a really uninformed review) but remember that the $5000 savings on the Z will quickly evaporate at resale. Nissan vs BMW, come on.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #70
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Personally, I have had a couple three series (E46 and E90) BMWs before I bought my 135i. I prefer driving the 1.

I also love the way it looks (I have a vert) and get a lot of compliments on the way it looks. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In the years I owned my E90 (and I got it the year they came out with the bigger 3 series), I had one unsolicited compliment. In the much shorter amount of time that I have owned the 135i, I have had at least ten unsolicited compliments. It is obvious that a lot of people like it enough to say something about it.

To say that the engine is not important is a joke. This would mean that there is no reason to pay more for the 335i than the 328i. I test drove a 328 and it felt pokey in comparison to the 135i.

My choice came down to a 335 coupe and a 135i vert. I chose the 135i and have never regretted it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 10:04 PM   #71
DCD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I'll add my 5 cents here, I think it's all subjective.

I think the car looks great and I've never had a person say it looks bad. A friend said he thought it was a but high in the cabin, but he still likes the looks overall, that is the most negative thing I've heard about it. I've had a collegue literally drop her jaw open when she saw it most people love the looks in my experience

Suspension magic? I'll agree it's a little hard when you hit a bump, but I find the car very smooth compared to my old cars (last 2 were Evo 8 and Sti). It's still not as hard as them when hitting bumps and it certainly hangs on so I give the suspension thumbs up. I am thinking of changing out the run flats though to see how much of a difference that makes.

As for the interior size this is one thing that I love about the car! I'm Chinese so I'm probably a bit smaller than the average guy on this board (5"11, 75kg) and I find that with my driving position I can comfortably sit in the back. My gf is 5"2 and a lot of my friends are small, so apart from the hassle of climbing though the gap the size is just perfect for me. The boot is big for a coupe and the seats drop too, so it's plently practical. Again this is a subjective measure being maybe smaller than average, but it's perfect for me. Coming from a Subaru as well the interior is great and I love the toys in the car.

Sure it's not a cheap car, but I'm youngish and make good money so why not treat myself to something? I didn't want to get anything slower than this car so options were limited for my price range. It just fits.

The car obviously doesn't fit this guy, and I think he's being a bit harsh with quotes like "monumental ugliness" (maybe to get traffic to the site?) but hey whatever floats his boat. It's not going to make me smile any less when I drive home tonight
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #72
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoni View Post

Why can't the 1 be a real people's car that strips away all the unnecessary mumbo-jumbo and gives the people an inexpensive RWD "driver's car"? Because BMW has to load it up with useless features that weigh it down and jack up the price to keep their snob appeal. It's all about pushing the brand and continuing the myth of the "driver's car".

What features on the 135i are there to boost "snob appeal'?

BMWs in the US have never been about being stripped down sports cars, and they'll never be considered inexpensive here. The US margins are already as low as BMW is going to tolerate. That margin gets even thinner on lightly optioned cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #73
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
What features on the 135i are there to boost "snob appeal'?
The roundels.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #74
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoni View Post
The 135 isn't the best SPORTS car for its pricepoint. It's also not the best LUXURY car for its pricepoint. It may very well be the best OVERALL car for its pricepoint, but some of us aren't in the market for a compromise.
For many people, having "the best OVERALL car for its pricepoint" is not a compromise.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #75
mbrunner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911/Lotus Exige S

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
For many people, having "the best OVERALL car for its pricepoint" is not a compromise.

I would argue that title is exactly what the 135i is aiming for! :w00t:

That is not a bad thing, but it does leave some buyers on the edge of buying one. Myself included. An LSD here, a better steering ratio there, some better tires here and its a no brainer.

I want both performance and luxury but maybe... just maybe a little more performance. I want to ditch the STI just because I want more COMFORT shh I didn't say that. Which is why I am looking at the 135i, BUT and its a big but I still have to have a car that I enjoy in spirited coniditons and one that is competititve on the track and that I enjoy on the track. Right now in stock form I know that I will be let down if I get my hopes up.

For that alone, I can figure a new 135i for me would include New suspension, ECU Tune/Supporting mods, and probably an LSD. So the answer? Wait a little longer and just go for the M3 which I still don't like because of its weight.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #76
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrunner View Post
I would argue that title is exactly what the 135i is aiming for! :w00t:

That is not a bad thing, but it does leave some buyers on the edge of buying one. Myself included. An LSD here, a better steering ratio there, some better tires here and its a no brainer.

I want both performance and luxury but maybe... just maybe a little more performance. I want to ditch the STI just because I want more COMFORT shh I didn't say that. Which is why I am looking at the 135i, BUT and its a big but I still have to have a car that I enjoy in spirited coniditons and one that is competititve on the track and that I enjoy on the track. Right now in stock form I know that I will be let down if I get my hopes up.

For that alone, I can figure a new 135i for me would include New suspension, ECU Tune/Supporting mods, and probably an LSD. So the answer? Wait a little longer and just go for the M3 which I still don't like because of its weight.
Add suspension to that list and that's how the car should come from the factory. It should have been more performance/enthusiast based. Not a "compromise".
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #77
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
Add suspension to that list and that's how the car should come from the factory. It should have been more performance/enthusiast based. Not a "compromise".
That would be very out of character for BMW at the moment. Even their current M cars make a similar compromise.
Appreciate 0