BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
River Rat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Engine Fault

My car's engine light turned on as I was accelerating on the road and states "Engine Fault! Reduced power"... Has this message appeared for anyone else?? I have read elsewhere that some cars have gone "limp"... but what is the cause for this? Anyways, my car is already at the service waiting for inspection. Just wanted to see if any other forum members had experienced this same problem.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

"So called "limp mode" can be triggered from many things. Actually, according to my SA, what BMW calls "limp mode" is an extreme condition that includes (besides reduced engine power) the AT [Automatic Transmission] locked in 3rd gear (I don't know what would happen with a MT [Manual Transmission]). If the message just says "Reduced Engine Power", then it is not technically "limp mode" and my SA and I were talking at cross-purposes until we got that sorted out.
That said, both coolant and oil temps can cause reduced engine power and it goes in steps from 90% to 10% according to how high the temps get. In my case I had a stuck Vanos solenoid which triggered the power reduction (nothing to do with coolant or oil temps). I was still able to keep up with traffic in all cases but my 335 performed more like a base model Honda Civic."

(source: http://forum.e90fanatics.com/showpos...42&postcount=3)

"[J]ust got car back....it was low pressure fuel pump and VANOS solenoids (both)."
(source: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=28)

"I was out with my friend this weekend and it went limp...my 335, that is! He took her in Monday and found it was the VANOS."

(source: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...44&postcount=7)

"Took to the car to the garage, they put it on Scanner and seems like it was diagnosed with a "High Pressure Fuel System" fault code."
(source: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=11 - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=11 [HPFP install - High Pressure Fuel Pump).
      12-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vo 1m

Could be bad gas.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

I had this happen once when I ran low on fuel once on track during wide open throttle acceleraation. Scared the CRAP out of me since I dont have a nav screen and just had the symbol in the main window. Limped around and off the course and over to the pump, praying.. . Added fuel and she was perfect again!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
River Rat
Private First Class
Rep

the service diagnostic came back with a faulty sensor as the cause for this "engine fault"
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
Dr_zito
Argentina
Rep

Hi all, guess there is no "one cause" for this.
It just happened to me and I almost sh-t in my pants.
It happened while driving on a highway at 80 km/h! I had started the drive after 1 week of not using the car, 15 minutes after starting the car, and strangely, the oil temperature was still in the "very cold" area.
I didn´t do anything, and once the oil temp went to normal (I think between 70 and 120°C), it dissapeared...
Since the official BMW service here in Argentina is crap, my idea was not to take it unless I saw this a second time.

Opinions?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_zito View Post
Hi all, guess there is no "one cause" for this.
It just happened to me and I almost sh-t in my pants.
It happened while driving on a highway at 80 km/h! I had started the drive after 1 week of not using the car, 15 minutes after starting the car, and strangely, the oil temperature was still in the "very cold" area.
I didn´t do anything, and once the oil temp went to normal (I think between 70 and 120°C), it dissapeared...
Since the official BMW service here in Argentina is crap, my idea was not to take it unless I saw this a second time.

Opinions?
Thanks!
Yes I agree: Don't take it untill you see it second time. It is highly likely that they will confuse you more or try to get advantage of the occasion by inventing something.

However, if it happens second time just take it there right away since this is quite weird what you described, was the car parked out all that week and was it considerably cold etc.?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
BimmerE82
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Sport package

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [7.00]
Reduced power, engine malfunction

This light came on this morning on my drive to work. Scared the hell out of me! I was already half way to work so I continued on at the speed of a Prius! When I got to work I let the car sit and then restarted it a few minutes latter. It appears the fault reset itself because it no longer appeared on the screen or the dash? I guess i'll have to wait until the drive home to see if it comes back on? My car is a 09 135i with no engine mods other than AFE drop in oiled filter?
      03-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

I'd bring it in and have them read the codes. I had this once, diagnosed as engine not making full boost.

They re-set the codes and the issue has not re-occurred so far (~4 months). It never was clear exactly what happened.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773300
      03-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
BimmerE82
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Sport package

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [7.00]
Well, It appears the engine light reset itself, as my drive home was a normal one. The car appears to be back to it's full power potential! Thank god!!! Not really sure what happened to make that engine fault light come on? Oh well....I guess I'll see how long it goes before it happens again, if at all? Then I'll take it in to my independent BMW mechanic so he can pull the fault code.
      03-09-2013, 02:00 AM   #11
PJI
Rep

Mine did this on track for the first time ever last week. Turned the engine on and off and it cleared. Took it to the dealer the following day and they informed me that it was "turbo boost" and I'm still not really clear what this is!?

They cleared the fault and said Cary on but bring it in again if it happens again!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #12
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep

I had mine trip limp mode on the track when I ran low on fuel. Last turn was a long sweeper. Enough time for the remaining fuel to flow away from the fuel pump. There was a stutter them limp. Fortunately pit entrance was right there so I pulled in, turned car on them off, back to normal. Clearly there are any number of scenarios that will trigger limp to protect the engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #13
River Rat
Private First Class
Rep

My car had been sitting in the garage for 4-5 weeks without any love.. not sure if this added to the cause for the fail of the sensor and engine fault.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
My car had been sitting in the garage for 4-5 weeks without any love.. not sure if this added to the cause for the fail of the sensor and engine fault.
Was it also sitting with very low fuel?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #15
River Rat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Was it also sitting with very low fuel?
I cant really recall.. but I believe so..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #16
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
I cant really recall.. but I believe so..
Probably not the cause but I would still say it to service manager just in case if they are still trying to diagnose the cause and if it is not a popped/cracked charge pipe or a HPFP issue. It may be something as simple as low/bad fuel and maybe it would not repeat again.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #17
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rat
Let this be a lesson to you then! Don't neglect your 1M. 4-5 weeks.... Inconceivable!!! Lol. :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #18
Artemis
Rep

Just for the record and FWIW: BMW North America announced to recall 156,137 cars for a VANOS bolts issue. The problem is confined to 2010 to 2012 vehicles with inline six-cylinder engine, including E82 1 Series:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970554
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ecall/7546181/
A forum fellow commented that, "based on the same recall in China, it covers N52 and N55 engines" (and thus not N54 engines).
      04-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #19
LuuZ
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

It happened to me on track yesterday after pushing hard for only 5min, I did this track already 2 times last years and nothing happened.....
The nearest dealer took my car for diagnose, and was the turbo boost too high for me too.
1st time it happened and scared me for the future on track again !
This morning, I pushed hard on 2nd, 3rd and 4th when engine hot, nothing happened at all.
Confusing !
Must follow this US recall story about the Vanos.....
      04-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #20
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuuZ View Post
It happened to me on track yesterday after pushing hard for only 5min, I did this track already 2 times last years and nothing happened.....
The nearest dealer took my car for diagnose, and was the turbo boost too high for me too.
1st time it happened and scared me for the future on track again !
This morning, I pushed hard on 2nd, 3rd and 4th when engine hot, nothing happened at all.
Confusing !
Must follow this US recall story about the Vanos.....
Maybe also take a look at issues # 5a, 5b, 5c and 14 of the 1M issues log sticky: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1

Last year I witnessed a 135i with a Cobb tune going into 'limp mode' after some spirited driving with 2 1Ms in the curvy/hilly Black Forrest. The owner changed the Cobb tune setting to a less aggressive mode and that seemed to resolve the matter: after an engine cool down of half an hour or so all systems were OK again (no limp mode anymore).

In some way, 'limp mode' serves the same purpose as fainting: a way to keep the body safe from (further) harm.
      04-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #21
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
Get a BT tool and scan it. It could be several things. Its just a symptom not a cause.

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 10:39 PM   #22
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

In some way, 'limp mode' serves the same purpose as fainting: a way to keep the body safe from (further) harm.
Great analogy!
Appreciate 0