BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-19-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
tm30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Technology nitpick

Three annoying situations have emerged. Wonder if anyone else has experienced the same:

1. Steering wheel volume control unexpectedly dials last bluetooth call. i.e., as if you hit the phone button next to it. And, yes, I am certain I'm hitting the down-arrow button and not the phone button. This happens about once a day for me. I get the radio volume mute and have to quickly hit the phone icon to hang it up before dialing through.

2. iPod adaptor way too touchy. My iPod volume was suddenly appearing and disappearing, the music was shallowing out randomly (e.g. bass or vocal layers disappearing) and found that I had to jiggle the cord and reconnect it to the console to clear the interference. Does the cord suck that much or is it a problem with the adaptor hardware in the console?

3. Really - would it have been too hard to give 128 owners the ability to see oil temperature on the trip computer while driving? I really don't care about my rollercoaster MPG at the very second it's being calculated.

Last edited by tm30; 08-19-2009 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: I can count
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
chbj
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Convertible (gone)

I have not had these issues. I'm actually amazed how good the iPod connection is. I don't think I have touched the iPod or the cable since I plugged it in the first day I got the car.

Your cable might just be faulty.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
hotbmwfan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92

I've had the same problem with my iPod cord. The volume will decrease then return to normal repeatedly every few seconds after I first start the car. The problem goes away if I disconnect the cord and then plug it in again. This only happens the first time I start the car after I have taken the iPod out of the car for some reason (to listen to it elsewhere or to add more songs). I guess the lesson for me is to leave the iPod plugged into the car for ever.
2010 M3 "Edition" model - Monte Carlo Blue/black, (1 of 13) MODS;255/35/19 and 285/30/19 Michelin PSS, Volk G25 wheels, MC V2 GTS lip, Eventuri plenum/intake/airbox lid, M Performance exhaust/spoiler/steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Jammer005
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm30 View Post
2. iPod adaptor way too touchy. My iPod volume was suddenly appearing and disappearing, the music was shallowing out randomly (e.g. bass or vocal layers disappearing) and found that I had to jiggle the cord and reconnect it to the console to clear the interference. Does the cord suck that much or is it a problem with the adaptor hardware in the console?
I too have had this problem with my iPhone and iPod. I changed the cable last week at the dealership and so far so good. I'm not sure if it's the cable or the connectors because they seem a bit loose. But when the sound disappears, I try jiggling the cable and still can't tell if it's the cable or connector.
Meanwhile, I agree with hotbmwfan - I just leave in one of my cheaper ipods and not bother disconnecting/connecting it.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Anybody have a problem with the iPod locking up at startup and requiring a hard reboot?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
Jammer005
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Cab

Nope.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post

Anybody have a problem with the iPod locking up at startup and requiring a hard reboot?

Mine just did this last week, but I've been using it in the car for over a year and that's the first time it's ever happened. I know Apple just did some kind of software update to iTunes to prevent one of the new non-Apple phones from pretending to be an iPod, so maybe that's got something to do with it.

It took me forever to figure out how to get it to reboot, (I was on the road) and once I did it required being hooked to the PC to restore it.
Appreciate 0