BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
hot_ride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Back up Camera wiring

So in my, 'pfft I can park a car' attitude I decided that the parking sensor was unimportant. Unfortunately I also decided last minute that a convertible would be a good idea and seeing out the back with the top up is a little tough.

Anyway, I need 12v power to the camera at the rear plate. I see the license plate lights are right there but am not sure where to draw the power and how to get the wire out of the trunk. I'd like to install one of those that mounts over top of the rear plate to the plate screws.

Any help?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
nszzya
Drive Different
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F15 '17 F87

Since there is a trailer hitch for the 1, I imagine there must be a harness for connecting trailer lights to the vehicle. When I mounted an all-in-one license plate frame rearview camera in an X5, I accessed power from inside the vehicle from wires used to power external trailer connector. I drilled a hole behind the license plate frame to wire the camera. As I recall, there was a grommet that came with the license plate camera kit. I also used a bit of silicone sealant. Since the license plate is on the trunk lid, you'll have to run power into the lid somehow or find a way to utilize power that is already there. Also, you'll may want to install a relay to power the camera only when you're in reverse. The trailer harness in the X5 was ideal because it had wiring that was only powered when the vehicle was in reverse. Perhaps you could find out if there is something similar in the 1. Are you going to use a separate monitor or try to use the nav screen?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
hot_ride
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't aware that there was a hitch available for the 1. I'll have to take a closer look as I haven't taken off any of the covering under the lid. The unit I got comes with a little screen and wirelessly receives the signal from the camera. I was hoping to find a spot for the screen near the cig lighter under the armrest and keep it out of the way unless I want to use it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2009, 03:19 AM   #4
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

I drilled a hole through the rubber trunk lift handle just above the license plate. Just big enough for the camera wire to fit through. That way I didn't have to drill through any metal. It is right above where the camera sits (on the top license plate bolts). The wire is not visible, and it is weather tight.

The trunk panel cover easily removes from the inside, where I tapped into the license plate light power and ground wires. Just pop the little rivets with a small screwdriver or a pry bar. I used a small plastic pry bar. Note - the backup camera will not work during the daytime with the lights on Auto, so I have to switch the lights to manual when I need to use it during the daytime.

I delivered power for the lcd by using an 'Add a Circuit' off of the main fuse panel. The lcd sits in the ash tray (after removing the tray itself) with the lid always up.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
hot_ride
Private First Class
Rep

Lester,

Great description. I'm definitely going to follow up on this one as soon as the weather gets better and I have some time. Where was the main fuse panel that you tapped into ('Add a Circuit'?) Do you mean that you ran a new power wire from there to the rear lid?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

An 'Add a circuit' is a fuse plug in look alike, with a pigtail built into it. So you can get power off the fuse panel without having to cut, tap or solder any wires. The main fuse panel is right behind the glove box. You don't have to run a wire from the front to the back, as the camera in these units are wireless.

The LCD display panel requires power, this I got via the Add a Circuit. The wirleless Camera, mounts on the top of the licence plate, and gets power from either the license plate lights or the back up lights. There is no easy way to get to the back up lights, so I used the license plate lights instead. The power wire is accessible by taking off the trunk lid cover, a simple job by popping open the plastic pop rivtes with a small plastic pry bar. I have to have the light switch on manual for this to work properly during daylight hours.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
hot_ride
Private First Class
Rep

ahh, thanks for the clarification, wasn't sure if I would be blowing a fuse if I tapped off of the plate lights. I thought you had to use the 'add a circuit' for the camera, but it makes sense for the display. I was afraid I had to run a new power line from the front fuse panel to the camera.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 12:02 AM   #8
JayM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Close to getting a 135 vert that does not have PDC. I am interested in a license plate frame rear camera and was wondering what brands/models you have. Are you happy with them? How was the install? Any other threads/sites with install pics?

Thanks
Appreciate 0