BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-16-2012, 03:49 AM   #23
1SER135
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: '08 135i M SPORT 6M

Update

Ok so as a update i thought id let everyone know that the evaporative canister is apparently only a problem with the US spec cars. This is why Eisenmann had to mod their quad exhaust for US spec 1er and not EU Spec. Australia has EU spec so we dont need to worry about it. The trunk floor was posted last week so hopefully is only a week away. Alot with the TRUE quad exhaust setup, im also doing an electricly controlled "silencer" so when open all four tips get flow while when close the two outer tips get baffled. Im also doing AR Downpipes, custom intake, intercooler, M3 suspension conversaion and possibly VMR wheels (i may decide to wait for the V721 offset to be released though)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 05:45 AM   #24
Curare86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SER135 View Post
Are you doing the 1m body via original rear quarters or with kit like Prior Designs?
oops never saw your reply! yeah OeM rear quarters. i was too scared about knocking off anything aftermarket with flush wheels if they rubbed. im in to see adrian tomorrow! when r u getting it done? might have to copy you if it works!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #25
1SER135
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Cool, Ive looked and doing 1m Conversion but im not up for cutting the arches and remoulding so an OEM quarter panel would be rad, when are you doing it, maybe we can copy each other on both designs.
Adrians farely busy and im doing alot of work all as once so only available first thing next year. Will post the whole build and some sound clips once its done
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #26
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86 View Post
oops never saw your reply! yeah OeM rear quarters. i was too scared about knocking off anything aftermarket with flush wheels if they rubbed. im in to see adrian tomorrow! when r u getting it done? might have to copy you if it works!
How are you getting the quarters done and how much is it going to cost you? Is it just a panel replacement or is there a lot of structural change that needs to be done to fit a 1M quarter on a 135i?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #27
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep
Drives: bsm 135i

Sub'd
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #28
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Cool, Ive looked and doing 1m Conversion but im not up for cutting the arches and remoulding so an OEM quarter panel would be rad, when are you doing it, maybe we can copy each other on both designs.
Adrians farely busy and im doing alot of work all as once so only available first thing next year. Will post the whole build and some sound clips once its done
sweet. Im not sure when Im doing it exactly, cos Im still waiting on the parts from Stu and dont have a clear ETA. when they come in Ill have a better idea, but probably beginning of next year for me too. bit of a pain since my wheels and breaks should be ready to go latwr this month!
venom, not sure of the exact cost of install... the panels are costing me about 750 each. the process is the same as replacing a damaged rear quarter on a 135i.
this is the path tony from adv1 went down, you should hit him up for cost if hes willing to share
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 12:31 AM   #29
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86
Quote:
sweet. Im not sure when Im doing it exactly, cos Im still waiting on the parts from Stu and dont have a clear ETA. when they come in Ill have a better idea, but probably beginning of next year for me too. bit of a pain since my wheels and breaks should be ready to go latwr this month!
venom, not sure of the exact cost of install... the panels are costing me about 750 each. the process is the same as replacing a damaged rear quarter on a 135i.
this is the path tony from adv1 went down, you should hit him up for cost if hes willing to share
An OEM shop has quoted me 7-10k range for replacing the quarter panels. The reason I ask is because my quarter and rear bumper were recently damaged so if I could get as much info to this collision shop on how to replace it with OEM 1M parts to mitigate that huge cost I would like to. Otherwise I would have to forgo the 1M rear end idea. This is the ideal time for this to happen because my car was in a collision and I want to use this opportunity to improve my car
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #30
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
An OEM shop has quoted me 7-10k range for replacing the quarter panels. The reason I ask is because my quarter and rear bumper were recently damaged so if I could get as much info to this collision shop on how to replace it with OEM 1M parts to mitigate that huge cost I would like to. Otherwise I would have to forgo the 1M rear end idea. This is the ideal time for this to happen because my car was in a collision and I want to use this opportunity to improve my car
as far as I can see, the repair/replacement process is exactly the same as for a 135i with damaged rear quarters, except you use a 1m panel instead... Cutting off the old one and attaching the new should be exactly the same?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #31
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
as far as I can see, the repair/replacement process is exactly the same as for a 135i with damaged rear quarters, except you use a 1m panel instead... Cutting off the old one and attaching the new should be exactly the same?
The rocker panels won't line up, AFAIK.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #32
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammonia View Post
The rocker panels won't line up, AFAIK.
why not?
on
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...96&hg=41&fg=20
part 2 has the same part number as for the 135i so think they should line up?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #33
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
why not?
on
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...96&hg=41&fg=20
part 2 has the same part number as for the 135i so think they should line up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8fe View Post
The side skirts are one-off's (custom) -- a combination of my stock 135 side skirt with the wider front section of the 1M side skirt cut and grafted on. I wish I didn't have to do that as I really liked the 1M side skirt design, but it stuck out in the rear and my budget and time tables didn't allow for me to perform a rear conversion as well. Like I said earlier, if they ever get damaged, I'll have to order the 1M side skirts and do a rear conversion as well. Fingers crossed they never get damaged. So essentially, the 4 side skirt were each cut into two pieces (total of 8 side skirt pieces). With ~85% of the stock side skirt in tact the front wider section of the 1M side skirt was grafted on (he said ~20 hours of plastic work) to make a final custom stock 135 side skirt with 1M front section. Personally, I think he did an awesome job, but he said he wasn't looking forward to having to do that again, so don't eff'em up!
A quote from a guy who did a similar job. Apparently the 1M sideskirts front and back mate to 1M fenders, and he had to modify the back ends to fit against the stock 135i rear fenders. I'm guessing the opposite would be true in this case... (Having to modify the front of the side skirts to fit against the stock 135i front fenders)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #34
sgebeily
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Subscribed. New 2012 135i M-package owner here. Information sharing has made anything possible in this day in age. Thanks to everybody on this forum for all their hard work.

Nice to meet you all!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #35
NORAGRETS
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP BSM 2012 E82 1

Garage List
http://www.insideperformance.de/soun....asp?VideoID=2

Inside Performance...sounds incredible...they also make the rear carbon or plastic diffuser that houses the quad tips...and some other goodies as well.

I dont have this yet but plan on buying it very very soon!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #36
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammonia View Post
A quote from a guy who did a similar job. Apparently the 1M sideskirts front and back mate to 1M fenders, he had to modify the back ends to fit against the stock 135i rear fenders. I'm guessing the opposite would be true in this case... (Having to modify the front of the side skirts to fit against the stock 135i front fenders)
oooh right I thought rocker panels were the bit under the sideskirts. my bad. such a noob.
yes if you only do half the conversion thatll be a problem but if you do the whole thing with 1M sideskirts it should be fine
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #37
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
anyone have parts numbers for this? i am looking to get it done. I will post photos.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 02:51 AM   #38
omid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

i'd really like to see if it can be done, just not willing to experiment yet (bought mine 2 months ago...still breaking it in)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #39
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Still watching with interest.

I thought that this may help for your diffuser choice, providing the cut-outs line up exactly the same as 1M.

http://www.insideperformance.de/onli...roducts_id/194
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #40
Rowdy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

That inside performance setup looks and sounds great! Anyone know if theres a north american distributor?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #41
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJay View Post
Still watching with interest.

I thought that this may help for your diffuser choice, providing the cut-outs line up exactly the same as 1M.

http://www.insideperformance.de/onli...roducts_id/194
The lines do not match up. Draw a line down from the headlights on a 1M and an Inside Performance set up. The Inside Performance diffuser is the closet to the 1m but are off a decent amount.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #42
1SER135
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Im going with the Hartge Diffuser as i like the fins in between the tips.

Ive got the trunk floor and now waiting for DP's to arrive so that we can do the whole turbo back exhaust at once. Will most likely be first week of the new year.

It will be very similiar in design to the Akrapovic Evo exhaust for the 1M (two tips muffled, two unmuffled), hopefully I can get the same sound as the Akrapovic

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #43
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
That inside performance setup looks and sounds great! Anyone know if theres a north american distributor?
Don't know about that, but I don't think so. I believe you have to get it straight from Germany. I absolutely LOVE mine. I never liked the 1M pipes, as I feel they stick out way too far to the sides. The Inside Performance pipes are closer together, giving it the E46M3/Z4M look. The sound is absolutely outstanding, it's honestly the first inline 6 BMW motor I'm proud to hear rev. My exhaust is straight through, and there is no droning at any rpm. Car is quite loud on a cold start, but dies down after about 10 seconds. At wot, the car has a high pitched wail. I am very, very happy with my exhaust purchase and highly recommend it to all.

One last thing, I must admit the setup does look a bit hokey without the diffusor. There is one big can, with a little pipe leading over to the other two tipes. However, you never see it with the diffusor on, so it's not an issue for me. As well, the amount of exhaust you see coming out of both pipes is almost identical. I've looked at the rear of the car on cold mornings, and I'd say about 55% comes out the driver's side pipes, while 45% comes out the passenger's side. It's VERY close. As well, the inside of the pipes are discoloring identically, so you don't have two dirty pipes and two clean pipes. Also please note, I've painted my setup with black BBQ paint. It doesn't come in this color.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #44
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Don't know about that, but I don't think so. I believe you have to get it straight from Germany. I absolutely LOVE mine. I never liked the 1M pipes, as I feel they stick out way too far to the sides. The Inside Performance pipes are closer together, giving it the E46M3/Z4M look. The sound is absolutely outstanding, it's honestly the first inline 6 BMW motor I'm proud to hear rev. My exhaust is straight through, and there is no droning at any rpm. Car is quite loud on a cold start, but dies down after about 10 seconds. At wot, the car has a high pitched wail. I am very, very happy with my exhaust purchase and highly recommend it to all.

One last thing, I must admit the setup does look a bit hokey without the diffusor. There is one big can, with a little pipe leading over to the other two tipes. However, you never see it with the diffusor on, so it's not an issue for me. As well, the amount of exhaust you see coming out of both pipes is almost identical. I've looked at the rear of the car on cold mornings, and I'd say about 55% comes out the driver's side pipes, while 45% comes out the passenger's side. It's VERY close. As well, the inside of the pipes are discoloring identically, so you don't have two dirty pipes and two clean pipes. Also please note, I've painted my setup with black BBQ paint. It doesn't come in this color.

which trunk lid is that?
Appreciate 0