BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-16-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
bluRider
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

iPod cable price arbitrage

Had to buy the gold plated BMW iPod cable cos the standard white cable that comes with your iPod doesn't work with the new iPod touch. For those who are interested, after some research I've found out that its because the new touch doesn't allow you to enable disk use, and you need that for the white iPod cable to work.

Anyway, the gold plated BMW iPod cable worked, but I found that when I bought it from the parts department at the back of Autoclassic I paid $134 ... instead of the $170 odd from the accessories/lifestyle store at the front of Autoclassic.

$134 is still a rip for an iPod cable, but its better than paying $170. Anyway, if anyone is looking to get the BMW iPod cable, save some money and go to the parts department!
      10-16-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

Mine was given to me by my CA. In USA they come with all cars that USB (so I am told). If you are lucky maybe someone who doesn't want/have an apple product would be willing to part with their cable?

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

I got mine 'with the car' too, part of the lame bargaining attempt I made before signing on the dotted line 5 months or so ago. Good hint though, for those still to go through the pain, thanks bluRider.
      10-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspressoBoy View Post
Mine was given to me by my CA. In USA they come with all cars that USB (so I am told). If you are lucky maybe someone who doesn't want/have an apple product would be willing to part with their cable?

EspressoBoy
6FL equipped vehicles do not come with the cable, but most dealers will include them as a courtesy.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

They are supposed to come with the car.
      10-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #6
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

with the advances in cars, and what is out there now... and lets not forget how much things electronically have improved on 09 1's you would think anyone who needs this little $5 cable could just get it any time, from their dealership. To charge more than $10 in my opinion is silly. But that is how the game is played and we just have to live with it.

If you didn't get any other discounts, I would just go back and get it...free!

EspressoBoy

PS
No harm in asking...quote the site and say how many people got it free.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
oneaabe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom@eas View Post
6FL equipped vehicles do not come with the cable, but most dealers will include them as a courtesy.
In US, the dealer is SUPPOSED to give you the cable at no extra cost.

I did Euro Delivery, and my dealer made it a point to give me the cable before I leave for Munich.

If your dealer is charging you for the cable, you are being RIPPED OFF
Timeline: Ordered (got prod. #): April 12 '08; Scheduled for production: July 10 '08; DoB: July 18 '08; ED Pickup: 1st Aug '08; ED Dropoff: 4th Aug '08; Arrived at Port Hueneme: 5th Oct '08; At VPC: 10th Oct '08; Pickup at local dealer: 14th Oct'08;
Current Status:
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

Garage List
... as an aside.

Will it still work if you use a regular iPod to USB cable & then a regualr phono to phono cable instead of the BMW cable?

What's the BMW do that the other cables wont do that makes them able to make bank on it?

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Guys, what is standard in the USA isn't necessarily standard here in Australia, and vice-versa.
      10-16-2008, 06:33 PM   #10
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozza View Post
Guys, what is standard in the USA isn't necessarily standard here in Australia, and vice-versa.
Well said, cozza - both are forgotten sometimes.
      10-16-2008, 09:05 PM   #11
bluRider
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFX View Post
... as an aside.

Will it still work if you use a regular iPod to USB cable & then a regualr phono to phono cable instead of the BMW cable?

What's the BMW do that the other cables wont do that makes them able to make bank on it?

It won't work with the new iPod touch as the BMW head unit doesn't recognise it at all with the standard iPod cable. If it did, you wouldn't want to use the phono/AUX cable anyway as this transfers the music as analogue rather than digital as through the iPod cable.

The BMW cable has both USB and phono/AUX connections. There's been other discussions on this, but basically it uses the dock connector to pass control signals and track information between the head unit and the iPod, but the music actually gets transferred via the phono cable. This is the same as the Denon iPod dock I use with my AV receiver at home. Without this setup, you won't have full control of the iPod (the headunit treats it as a USB key with the standard iPod cable, which is more than acceptable if you have an older iPod that works this way), and new iPods like the touch won't work at all. DRM music also won't work without the BMW cable. Problem is that as mentioned above, the music quality from the AUX connection is not as good as the USB connection as its analogue whereas the USB is digital.

The best and cheapest solution is to load your music onto a USB key / portable HDD and use the USB connection, but with 20GB of music, I just couldn't be bothered getting a separate USB HDD or sorting thru my music to fit it on a 8GB key, so for convenience I'm forking out the extra dough and using the iPod.
      10-16-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
aus135i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Well i don't know abt the itouch, but the bmw cable works with my 3g iphone which is what im after.. and when a call comes you can just press a button on the wheel and the call comes through the car speaks (while the music is on pause, hung up and the music plays again)... i was impressed with it... ROFL
p.s im got it as part of the deal...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 05:56 AM   #13
molar
Private
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the heads up bluRider.

I'll make sure to "check that my iPod/iPhone cable is included with the delivery"

I really hate a one dealer town !!

Cancelled my order
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #14
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

It is odd that a proper ipod dock was not used. Better yet it would have been even nicer if apple could allow the iphone to xfr info via bluetooth stereo. Hmmm maybe in 09 this is all a nonissue?

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #15
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Sorry to mine an old thread, but better to use the search function than start a new thread.

With no iDrive in my car (ie. I have the standard orange and black display for the headunit), will I control the Ipod from the headunit or from the Ipod itself if I'm using the BMW cable? Will the song names be on the headunit display or I'll have to scroll the clickwheel on the Ipod to select albums/songs?
      08-22-2009, 02:04 AM   #16
King Size
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: LMB 118d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRX View Post
Sorry to mine an old thread, but better to use the search function than start a new thread.

With no iDrive in my car (ie. I have the standard orange and black display for the headunit), will I control the Ipod from the headunit or from the Ipod itself if I'm using the BMW cable? Will the song names be on the headunit display or I'll have to scroll the clickwheel on the Ipod to select albums/songs?
That depends on whether you have the optional USB port under the arm rest or not. You may need the Professional Head Unit too (this gives you two display lines instead of the single line on the Business unit). if you have these then yes you can access ipod menus on the headunit when connecting with the optional BMW Ipod Cable.

If you don't have the above then you will have to connect via the Aux input and control your ipod manually.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 02:28 AM   #17
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Size View Post
That depends on whether you have the optional USB port under the arm rest or not. You may need the Professional Head Unit too (this gives you two display lines instead of the single line on the Business unit). if you have these then yes you can access ipod menus on the headunit when connecting with the optional BMW Ipod Cable.

If you don't have the above then you will have to connect via the Aux input and control your ipod manually.
Yes, my car has both the Aux and USB input, and it has Profressional written on the head unit.

However, for confirmation, here's a photo of the interior if it helps in determining if it can control the iPod (the car is still at the dealer - delivery is next week).

Last edited by BMWRX; 08-22-2009 at 03:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 04:36 AM   #18
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

Quote:

i have the exact set up as yours and yes with the bmw y cable you are able to charge, change tracks and see track names on the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #19
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Ok, I have the Ipod cable (Aux and USB input) and it will play ok for anywhere from ten seconds to five minutes, but then lock up. I have to unplug the USB input and reconnect for it to fire up again. It's very annoying - especially when the standard Ipod cable (white one) does the same job without locking up (albeit much slower in menus).

Any ideas why it's doing this?
      09-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #20
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Ok, I have the Ipod cable (Aux and USB input) and it will play ok for anywhere from ten seconds to five minutes, but then lock up. I have to unplug the USB input and reconnect for it to fire up again. It's very annoying - especially when the standard Ipod cable (white one) does the same job without locking up (albeit much slower in menus).

Any ideas why it's doing this?
I've got the same problem. The connections seem dodgy & at least half a dozen times I've had to reboot my iPod to get things working again. Frustrating.
      09-07-2009, 02:47 AM   #21
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
I've searched on here and can't find anything with an answer to this quibble. Surely someone knows the answer? I doubt it's a "put up with it" kind of proposition.
      09-07-2009, 03:05 AM   #22
CT135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2009 135i Coupe  [0.00]
my cable works fine - maybe there is a frayed wire in yours? does it have a warranty???
(I use mine with an iPod Touch)
Appreciate 0