Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

3.6 seconds
      03-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #68
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Audi is nice and so is the BMW. The Audi #'s are phenominal. 0-60 is one thing but whooping the M by 9/10tenths in the 1/4.........thats a life time in drag racing. Based on these figures the M wouldnt reel it in at all! Autobahn winner-Audi.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #69
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Good stuff. Thanks for posting. The Dragons Tail is just an hour from me. Damn them for not stopping by!
      03-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #70
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
I test drove the TT-RS (MT) a couple weeks ago and loved it. I don't care if it doesn't teach me how to drive. It was fun, a lot of fun... In the wet, I'd take the Audi anytime because it was so planted and sure. You can have fun in the audi 100% of the time.

Unfortunately, nobody will ever have a 1M in Australia to test drive as they will/are all sold already so can't compare it... I second their comments on the exhaust volume of the Audi, when you just cruising it's loud and droney.

I test drove a Cayman S on the weekend to compare (but it was PDK). Obviously not as quick as TT-RS, but it was much easier to live with day to day. Was as comfortable as the TT-RS but with little noise at everyday cruising. Handling felt better in the Porsche, steering lived up to the hype. Probably just as much boot space in the Porsche as the Audi too.

In Australia the TT-RS goes for $150k (but they will discount more), Cayman S is about $150k too. 1M is $110k, so obviously cheaper and leaves room for mods. The main thing stopping me going for 1M is that the 1series will be obsolete soon and I don't want to 'upgrade' to the same type of car I have now. I think in a year or so it's time to try something new from the Germans :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #71
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

I have 1M on order, but I must admit that the 2.5L 5-cylinder engine concept is great. It works well in Focus RS, and it works even better with TTRS and RS3. And the sound.. ooh the sound is fenomenal...

BMW I6 is often the exhaust note which is nice ; but a 5-cylinder is the engine itself that's music to your ears.

Anyone noticed that, allthough the title says "1M takes down TT RS", the only items where 1M has a real score-advantage over the TT RS, is in the price, and the rear seat space !!

I'm sure both are great machines.
Buth I just wanted RWD to whip out my tail from time to time.
If I'd have the money, I'd have both cars
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #72
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

If they went north of 60k, why didnt they use Cayman S for comparo?
3.6 is a typo for TT-RS..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #73
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

there were several aspects in which the 1m out-scored the ttrs. check out the spreadsheet they provide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
I have 1M on order, but I must admit that the 2.5L 5-cylinder engine concept is great. It works well in Focus RS, and it works even better with TTRS and RS3. And the sound.. ooh the sound is fenomenal...

BMW I6 is often the exhaust note which is nice ; but a 5-cylinder is the engine itself that's music to your ears.

Anyone noticed that, allthough the title says "1M takes down TT RS", the only items where 1M has a real score-advantage over the TT RS, is in the price, and the rear seat space !!

I'm sure both are great machines.
Buth I just wanted RWD to whip out my tail from time to time.
If I'd have the money, I'd have both cars
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #74
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Sign me up for a TTRS, that 3.6s is utter insane. C&D use to make sense but unless you track regularly and drive it to their limits all of them are great cars. The ability of this bench is so deep, only at the limits you can differentiate the particularities. Induced oversteer on local streets is something I will almost never use but 0-60 is something I will most likely use on the on-ramp

Last edited by Robert; 03-27-2011 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #75
littleyellowm3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MR E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Sign me up for a TTRS, that 3.6s is utter insane. C&D use to make sense but unless you track regularly and drive it to their limits all of them are great cars. The ability of this bench is so deep, only at the limits you can differentiate the particularities. Induced oversteer on local streets is something I will almost never use but 0-60 is something I will most likely use on the on-ramp
Must. Read. Full. Article. 3.6 is only achievable with DCT, which is not available in the US.... otherwise, the acceleration seems to be on par with the M.

The original user of the animated Bert and Ernie avatar. Except no substitutes.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #76
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Quote:
For daily driving, especially for long commutes, comfort becomes a top priority. Not sure about the TTRS here.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #77
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Just back from weekend at VIR and the article has me more psyched than ever about the 1M.

.97 Gs and an extraordinary lane change time suggests it will be terrific on the track. And additional power -- for those concerned about its "deficit" relative to the Audi -- is easily obtained.

Plus I really liked the reference to the Z3 M Coupe!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #78
pyrat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Just back from weekend at VIR and the article has me more psyched than ever about the 1M.

.97 Gs and an extraordinary lane change time suggests it will be terrific on the track. And additional power -- for those concerned about its "deficit" relative to the Audi -- is easily obtained.

Plus I really liked the reference to the Z3 M Coupe!

Neil
+1, I have from the beginning seen the Z3 M Coupe in the 1M

JOY is being offered in manual transmission and RWD.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #79
rossii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philritter21 View Post
Must. Read. Full. Article. 3.6 is only achievable with DCT, which is not available in the US.... otherwise, the acceleration seems to be on par with the M.
Its actually "DSG" just sayn'
      03-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #80
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrat View Post
+1, I have from the beginning seen the Z3 M Coupe in the 1M
Yep, I think the 1M will be a worthy successor to my M Coupe (aka MDORPHN).

Of course, I won't part with my M Coupe til the 1M is in my driveway!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #81
07E92TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 C63

i'll take the audi please...
      03-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #82
///1M
Captain
Rep

The write-up by C&D is interesting, but the comparison must be qualified, because a) the TT-RS is $15 grand more than the BMW or Infiniti, and b) the DSG version of the TT-RS is unavailable for the US market?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #83
skiernan36
stick to your guns
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T

that TT RS=pure sex
      03-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #84
Robert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
For daily driving, especially for long commutes, comfort becomes a top priority. Not sure about the TTRS here.
The S had electronic suspension. Not sure if RS does.
      03-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #85
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyphab View Post
It is a small car, yes. I'm 6'3" and I know what you mean. The point is, though, that the 1M is very upright. The seats are quite high, even if there is enough headroom. The dashboard is low and therefore you have the feeling of sitting very high.

The interior in a TT is higher, seats are lower and you're in a more sporty position. Of course that lowers visibility but also gives a more tense feeling overall.

In fact, I like the seating position in my MK5 GTI better than in the 1M. The GTI does the same trick with the higher dashboards and the lowered seats, which just feels better.

I want to feel integrated in a car surrounding me, not sitting above on everything. This is, where the 1M doesn't excel in my eyes.
i know what you mean on the difference in the seating position between the VW group cars and BMWs. I feel more comfortable in the BMW though. I think it's the more expansive view, but I'm a bit of a shorty at 5'9.5". As fantastic as the Audi is, especially the sound which is just intoxicating, I'm not surprised that the more involving drive is at the wheel of the bmw. That always seems to be the case.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.

Last edited by Yogijet; 03-27-2011 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #86
Robert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philritter21 View Post
I glanced through the important bits. Wasn't really serious about the TT-RS, I rather spend the money on a Cayman S or GT-R, but out of the 3 I'd take TT-RS.
      03-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #87
///1M
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I glanced through the important bits. Wasn't really serious about the TT-RS, I rather spend the money on a Cayman S or GT-R, but out of the 3 I'd take TT-RS.
I think that one "important bit" to know is that DSG will not be available in the US... considering that DSG plays a huge part in the TT-RS's advantage in acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #88
stong
Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: bmw e82

nš1
Appreciate 0