BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Turbo noise after DV pipe install?

Just installed an Evolution Racewerks DV pipe and I'm now hearing a faint whining sound when the turbos are spooling up on boost. The noise wasn't there before but I think it might be normal since the stock DV pipe has a sound suppressor tube that runs from the main part of the pipe and the EV pipe doesn't have that. The noise isn't loud but my only concern is that there could be a leak. Anyone else experience this sound after installing a DV pipe? Is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Normal.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I don't remember an increase in whine after chargepipe install but I have tons of turbo noise anyways. I noticed my biggest increase in turbo sounds with intake install. If anything I mainly noticed the decreased growl from removing the resonator tube which you call a sound suppressor. I'm pretty sure what you are hearing is normal.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman
I don't remember an increase in whine after chargepipe install but I have tons of turbo noise anyways. I noticed my biggest increase in turbo sounds with intake install. If anything I mainly noticed the decreased growl from removing the resonator tube which you call a sound suppressor. I'm pretty sure what you are hearing is normal.
I thought the purpose of that side tube was sound suppression. You call it a resonator but what does it do if it doesn't suppress sound? Is it just for additional volume?

Separately, what does the turbo sound you are hearing sound like? The sound I am hearing is sort of like air vibrating a reed, but it does seem to rise and fall with turbo boost pressure. That's the best description I can come up with.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

That doesn't sound right, I'm not overly familiar with the specific product but am with bov's/diverter valves. Can you adjust the valve? It may be set too soft, to engage at too low pressure, otherwise check for leaks?
      11-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
Newby
1Mtech
Rep
Drives: BMW

resonator tube is there to transfer sound of engine/inlet to the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMH
That doesn't sound right, I'm not overly familiar with the specific product but am with bov's/diverter valves. Can you adjust the valve? It may be set too soft, to engage at too low pressure, otherwise check for leaks?
The DV pipe I installed uses the stock diverter valves. They are not adjustable.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby
resonator tube is there to transfer sound of engine/inlet to the cabin.
Thanks. How do you know that?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Sorry Ajshanny, I did not see your question. I get all sorts of wheezing and hissing sounds. I also get a low rpm siren sound, especially when the weather and my car is cold. The first time I heard the siren sound I somewhat thought an ambulance was in the area. I barely notice it now, not sure if it improved or I just got accustomed to it. But I never hear any reed vibration type sounds. You might should get that looked at.

The most educated person I've ever heard make a comment about the resonator was Shiv from Vishnu. He had been tuning 335s and when he first saw the resonator on a 135 he was confused. I think he even contacted BMW. Shiv said the purpose of the resonator is just to give 135s a little more of an engine sound. If anything it somewhat disrupts our airflow and would be better to be removed.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0