BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
funseries
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Angry Headlight back cover challenge

Haven't managed to get either side off after a couple feeble attempts (didn't want to break anything). The driver side I can see how it's possible but the passenger side is wtf. Maybe my car is different somehow.

Pic of passenger side:

The metal clip on the right side can't even push out all the way since the silver pipe is in the way. I pretty much gave up on that side after seeing that.

Driver side I can push the clips outwards but pulling the cover up and out didn't seem too safe because of a metal cylinder thing that juts out of the headlight housing. I guess that is either another bulb or motor. I feel if I yank the cover upwards that'll just push the cylinder up from underneath.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
New21er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

You can move the " silver pipe " a little and You can also remove that clip entirely. It does take a little fiddling to get the covers off end on. Took me a little while too. Once the covers ore off it will come to you.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Passenger side is a pain in the ass. You have to get the tabs into two little holes but the rest of the crap in there blocks the entry. You have to angle the cover so the top is towards the back of the car and the bottom is resting near the holes for the tabs towards the front, and then kind of insert it that way, but with the stuff in the way it makes it hard to angle towards the back. Kind of like:

Front // back

And insert it down and to the left into the holes. It's a pain. I've done this dozens of times and it still tales me forever, and I always end up with bruised, scratched up hands.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
funseries
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by New21er View Post
You can move the " silver pipe " a little and You can also remove that clip entirely. It does take a little fiddling to get the covers off end on. Took me a little while too. Once the covers ore off it will come to you.
Got that clip off by moving the silver pipe a bit but I'm not sure how far I can push it to get the actual cover off.

Edit: Managed to pry the cover off half open and probably enough room to swap the bulbs now. Just not sure if its worth it to remove the whole thing to place the black box thing (Lux) more properly

Last edited by funseries; 12-29-2011 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Do it a few times and you'll be surprised at how fast and easy it can be done I will be on my third set of Angel eye upgrades. the first two sucked. my LUX are arriving tomorrow.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
funseries
Private
Rep

Thanks for the encouragement Gonna try again another day when it's warmer.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
funseries
Private
Rep

And I'm spent. Damn back was killing me doing the passenger side for 30 mins. Velcro taped the resistor box to the back of the cover for better peace of mind.

Name:  SAM_4551.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  143.7 KB

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
New21er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I didn't velcro anything , just stuck the resistor box inside the cover. Velcro might be a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
funseries
Private
Rep

Yeah it's probably not so necessary but still a good precaution. Rather not have to fish around in there again a few weeks later if the box moved somehow and threw an error. I saw a couple other people on the board do it and I had a bunch of the strips lying around anyways.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
mchaoster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i on order

I spent 2 hours yesterday and for the life of me, i could not get the cover back on. I replaced the head lights with LUX, which looked great. it's still not on and my hand looks like it got chewed up by a dog.

Where do people velcro the box to? Is it on the cover itself? I'm trying to find a spot that will allow me to put the box back on tight enough for me to get the metal clip snapped back.

Any suggestions are truly appreciated! I saw the video and the guy took 3 minutes. I'm about to take it to the shop and have them do it (I also dropped a screw driver down there that i can't get out anymore, but it's on the bottom of the bumper not interfering with the engine... ugh... first day with the car too...)
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
funseries
Private
Rep

How tight can you get the cover back on? If both of the bottom tabs are back in it should close back easily, unless you have a wire or the plug from the harness in the way which happened to me. Make sure they're tucked in away from the back of the bulb and wires aren't hanging out of the housing by accident.

But if you're still having trouble on the 2 bottom tabs the cover won't line up with the back at all and it should be really obvious.

For the velcro part check out this post. If you stick the box in that exact spot it'll work for sure

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=42

Oh yeah and that guy with the video didn't even remove the cover all the way. It makes a huge difference in difficulty. I wanted to tape the box to the back of the cover so removing the cover was necessary.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #12
mchaoster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i on order

thanks funseries, you're reply help a lot and helped me keep my sanity. i finally got everything installed right. i realized i should have read the instructions in the first place and totally overlook the two tabs on the bottom. that's why i was having a hard time with getting the cover on tight.

then once i got it on, i thought i got an error code. but it turns out, the "!" came on because the door was open. i realized that after another 2 hours of taking it on and off. i think i'm now an expert at this, along with the chewed up arm.

love the LUX lights. don't have much to compare it to, but it looks pretty close to the OEM for the 3 and the 5, in my opinion.

now it's onto the black grills, window tints(which i'm having someone else do), and the aluminum pedals...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #13
funseries
Private
Rep

Glad I could help, now we're all experts at this...

Funny, I thought the same thing at first with the ! light too but then I just started the car up with the door closed

Still waiting for my black grills to show up in the mail
Appreciate 0